And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 24, 2014, 08:45:39 AM
Ugh, John Scalzi. What a fruitcake.

Why is Fred Brennan wearing a bib and a onesie?

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2014, 08:18:09 AM
Taking into account that I consider one's gender to be immutably set at birth, would I consider a trans woman to be a man or a woman?  The language that all these people use with their 'cis' and their 'POC' escapes me.

If you want to respect their identity, you consider them a woman.

If you want to make the point that you think they're full of shit and ridiculous, you consider them a man.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2014, 10:49:03 AM
Odd. I'd not heard any numbers on either side. I know that there are some women pro-#gamergate, though I've only seen the names of less than a handful. It seems disingenuous to say there are a "large number" of them, however.

Sorry I don't have an exact figure.  Just going by what I noticed.  I suppose I should say relatively large numbers of women support #gamergate, given that it's supposedly an anti-woman movement.  There is undoubtedly an anti-woman element of #gamergate, but by and large I don't see the "movement" or whatever as being anti-woman.  Unless maybe opposing a radical feminist agenda makes one anti-woman.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:10:23 AM
Sorry I don't have an exact figure.  Just going by what I noticed.  I suppose I should say relatively large numbers of women support #gamergate, given that it's supposedly an anti-woman movement.  There is undoubtedly an anti-woman element of #gamergate, but by and large I don't see the "movement" or whatever as being anti-woman.  Unless maybe opposing a radical feminist agenda makes one anti-woman.

Is that what #gamergate is? Opposing a radical feminist agenda?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:12:06 AM

Seems to be part of it.  It's an anti-establishment movement, and the Feminazi/SJW types seem to be part of the establishment, as it were.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:15:36 AM

Seems to be part of it.  It's an anti-establishment movement, and the Feminazi/SJW types seem to be part of the establishment, as it were.

I suppose that makes some sort of sense, even if the PoV is pretty damn alien to me.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:15:36 AM

The problem is that the anti-establishment movements are also part of the establishment.  You can't get much more establishment than #gamergate.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 10:55:55 AM
Taking into account that I consider one's gender to be immutably set at birth, would I consider a trans woman to be a man or a woman?  The language that all these people use with their 'cis' and their 'POC' escapes me.

If you want to make the point that you think they're full of shit and ridiculous, you consider them a man.
I don't think I'll ever encounter one of those types, so I'm just more concerned about how to decipher a phrase like 'trans woman'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:12:06 AMIs that what #gamergate is? Opposing a radical feminist agenda?

yup, i brought this up awhile ago. it opposes radical feminism, not women in general. it's anti-tumblr nutso feminists, essentially. #gamergate is like the male version of it.

The Brain

Who gives a flying fuck what gamers think?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 10:55:55 AM

I don't think I'll ever encounter one of those types, so I'm just more concerned about how to decipher a phrase like 'trans woman'.

I wonder what the proper protocol is on Halloween.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Trans woman = buddharhubarb

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on October 25, 2014, 12:46:31 AM
Trans woman = buddharhubarb
I thought he was just a crossdresser?

Still, I guess if that's accurate, I always though of him as a man, so that would help remind me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.