Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
How does that justify death threats?

It doesn't :)

QuoteShouldn't a society that values freedom of speech be concerned that people are intimidated when they speak non conformist thoughts?

To a point, sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
Shouldn't a society that values freedom of speech be concerned that people are intimidated when they speak non conformist thoughts?
I'm not sure why your society is not concerned under those circumstances, but I don't believe your society is typical; I'd bet most societies are concerned when people are intimidated for non-conformist speech.  In my society, there is a saying along the lines of "I don't agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on October 23, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
I'm not sure why your society
My choice of word was poor.  It's more about Derspiess, and some others, from what I see, sort of non care that people receive death threats for expressing non popular opinions.

Imho, it should raise some serious concerns that we have come to that point.

QuoteIn my society, there is a saying along the lines of "I don't agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."
A quote from Voltaire, I think?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on October 23, 2014, 10:54:48 AM
My choice of word was poor.  It's more about Derspiess, and some others, from what I see, sort of non care that people receive death threats for expressing non popular opinions.

Imho, it should raise some serious concerns that we have come to that point.

Wow, okay-- not sure where you got that notion.  What do I need to do to demonstrate that I care?  :unsure:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2014, 10:59:09 AM
Wow, okay-- not sure where you got that notion.  What do I need to do to demonstrate that I care?  :unsure:

Not that I expect you like to take advice from me on this sort of thing - and this being languish it's probably even less likely to find a postive reception - but not taking smug potshots for laughs at the people being victimized would be a good start; some sort of "I don't care for the type of game she makes, and you know how I feel about feminism, but these kinds of death threats and this kind of violation of privacy are completely unacceptable" would be a good thing to follow up with.

derspiess

Hmm.  So unless I make an outright proclamation that I am against people making death threats, you guys have some reason to assume that I'm okay with it?

Seriously, how evil do you guys think I am :lol:

I suppose I should also announce that I am against murder and kicking puppies, lest you make the wrong assumption.

Legbiter

What I find interesting is how effective the neckbeards seem to be in going after the SJW advertisers, i.e. the people who write their checks. Gamergaters are spanking Gawker Media now. Hard. And hilariously enough, using the same online shaming tactics the SJW's mastered.

As to Quinn, eh, she was doxxing people left and right that she didn't like before she got a taste of her own medicine. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Being a sociopath is not illegal though, but it does leave her with *less* than full credibility to play the victim.  :rolleyes:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on October 23, 2014, 11:40:11 AM
What I find interesting is how effective the neckbeards seem to be in going after the SJW advertisers, i.e. the people who write their checks. Gamergaters are spanking Gawker Media now. Hard. And hilariously enough, using the same online shaming tactics the SJW's mastered.

Yeah, I found that kind of amusing.

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2014, 11:42:18 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on October 23, 2014, 11:40:11 AM

Yeah, I found that kind of amusing.

It's funny the irritation with SJW's has been building up for years now but it seems to me that it wasn't so much that Quinn creature that finally broke the camel's back, it was the simultaneous coordination among all those various video game sites whiteknighting for her that outraged the gamers.  :hmm:

Legbiter

As you can see, pleasing SJW's looks tricky.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2014, 11:15:40 AM
Hmm.  So unless I make an outright proclamation that I am against people making death threats, you guys have some reason to assume that I'm okay with it?

I suppose I should also announce that I am against murder and kicking puppies, lest you make the wrong assumption.

I'd say you are a moderate on the evil issue.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Yeah, like I said - I didn't figure you were interested in taking advice from me. Carry on :)

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 23, 2014, 12:20:06 PM

Yeah, like I said - I didn't figure you were interested in taking advice from me. Carry on :)

Don't let that deter you in the future, though.  It's kind of fascinating.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 23, 2014, 12:22:27 PMDon't let that deter you in the future, though.  It's kind of fascinating.

I'm sure the mood will strike once in a while.