#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2014, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
With Five Guys, actually :D

Screwing hamburgers and french fries? :x

Hey, somebody's gotta pick the low-hanging fruit.  Might as well be the short guy. :P

Yeah, that seems to be the tie-in joke that has been made (hence my capitalization :D )
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 11:10:07 AM

I expect it will. And I expect it will also undermine some of the potential public support for pushing against that greater control and regulations.

I recently read the Daybreak Trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_51_%28novel%29) which was about net created memes conditioning individuals to develop terror weapons to destroy modern civilization.  Well after reading the article Meri linked this whole shit storm is becoming rather sinister.  She described all the tropes used in the books and it's freaky to think she experienced them all in RL.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
Did anyone actually carry out any of these threats? Finding someone's address is very easy these days - this is what 4chan trolls do. They think it is funny. It is fucked up but that does not mean it is comparable to nazi paramilitary groups actually carrying out acts of violence.  :huh:

If someone called in bomb-threats against a gay pride parade or threatened to shoot up a university audience because they were listening to a gay speaker, would you think it warranted a serious reaction or dismissal?

So the only two possible choices are "dismissal" and "this is just like the nazis coming to power"?

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:02:10 PM
So the only two possible choices are "dismissal" and "this is just like the nazis coming to power"?

No  :huh:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 12:11:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:02:10 PM

No  :huh:

Martinalogies in action. :D
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 17, 2014, 02:50:29 PM
Is that a Bananalogism?

I prefer to think of my inane pointing out of the obvious as Bananagrams. :contract:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

rufweed

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 03:37:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2014, 03:14:12 PM
Mrs B knows about this place, registered here like 10 years ago, but thinks the stuff we talk about is boring.

Frau Spiess would die of boredom here unless every thread was about David Bowie, fashion, or Walking Dead. 

A few years ago she became concerned that it was a gay forum because she kept seeing rufweed's (?) avatar when she walked by.

rufweed

garbon

Looking gaunt, bro. Need a bit more meat on those bones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2014, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Really? People posting stuff online is an apt comparison to people mugging other people and breaking windows?  :D
Biggest indication that you don't know what's actually going on.

If it were left on the internet, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about this. Since it's gone "real world" into serious threats of bodily harm (with their home addresses attached), murder, the loss of careers, etc., I'm going to go with yeah, the Brown shirts are a pretty apt description.
Not until they actually follow through.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2014, 09:12:56 PM
Looking gaunt, bro. Need a bit more meat on those bones.

Manburger is by its very nature lean.

Stick around once in a while, ruf.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 12:33:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:29:40 AM
Maybe this Quinn is a really bad person, though?

Maybe my house is made out of candy canes.  Maybe the moon is made of cheese.

So what?  Her entire role in this nonsense was that she had sex with some dude so far as I can tell.  If that makes you a bad person I guess you are fucked.

With Five Guys, actually :D
Let's say she did.  All at once.  And their dog too.  Even worst, she took the "whore pill".

How does that justify death threats?  Shouldn't a society that values freedom of speech be concerned that people are intimidated when they speak non conformist thoughts?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.