Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on October 25, 2014, 09:10:37 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 25, 2014, 12:46:31 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
I don't think I'll ever encounter one of those types, so I'm just more concerned about how to decipher a phrase like 'trans woman'.
Trans woman = buddharhubarb
I thought he was just a crossdresser?

Still, I guess if that's accurate, I always though of him as a man, so that would help remind me.

She has transitioned since leaving Languish.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I have decided who to support.

None of them. Between Scalzi, Kluwe, Gawker and ugly feminist fatties on one side and Vox Day, racist twit of the decade and angry virgin neck beards on the other, I decided to make fun of all of them.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I bet you'd put wheel locks on Brennan's hovercart, too.  Bastard.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:10:23 AM
Sorry I don't have an exact figure.  Just going by what I noticed.  I suppose I should say relatively large numbers of women support #gamergate, given that it's supposedly an anti-woman movement.  There is undoubtedly an anti-woman element of #gamergate, but by and large I don't see the "movement" or whatever as being anti-woman.  Unless maybe opposing a radical feminist agenda makes one anti-woman.

Is that what #gamergate is? Opposing a radical feminist agenda?

See, this is where my problem is. When someone goes on a rant about evil, sexist games, I kinda find it exaggerated, self-serving and attention seeking. But then when the other side says they are about "opposing a radical feminist agenda", I find it even more objectionable.

I think people love causes, and this is especially true on the internet, where clicktivism costs nothing but gives you a lot of fuel for your righteous rage.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 27, 2014, 05:15:29 PM
I have decided who to support.

None of them. Between Scalzi, Kluwe, Gawker and ugly feminist fatties on one side and Vox Day, racist twit of the decade and angry virgin neck beards on the other, I decided to make fun of all of them.

This is how I feel about the whole debacle too. I think in terms of actual views, I am probably more on the "ugly feminist fatties" side, but I refuse to engage in a tribal war. At best, I am contributing to a better society (because I think the modern tendency to divide every issue into two hostile camps, where one side must beat the other to pulp in order to "win" is not conductive to good debate) and at worst I am avoiding wasting my time.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 10:55:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 24, 2014, 08:18:09 AM
Taking into account that I consider one's gender to be immutably set at birth, would I consider a trans woman to be a man or a woman?  The language that all these people use with their 'cis' and their 'POC' escapes me.
If you want to respect their identity, you consider them a woman.

If you want to make the point that you think they're full of shit and ridiculous, you consider them a man.
I don't think I'll ever encounter one of those types, so I'm just more concerned about how to decipher a phrase like 'trans woman'.

Now you sound like a dumb yokel. The part about never encountering "one of those types" makes you sound extra dumb - I can't count how many times I heard someone say this to me, but talking about gays. You may be making someone think of you not as an enemy, perhaps, but as a fool.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2014, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 24, 2014, 11:10:23 AM
Sorry I don't have an exact figure.  Just going by what I noticed.  I suppose I should say relatively large numbers of women support #gamergate, given that it's supposedly an anti-woman movement.  There is undoubtedly an anti-woman element of #gamergate, but by and large I don't see the "movement" or whatever as being anti-woman.  Unless maybe opposing a radical feminist agenda makes one anti-woman.

Is that what #gamergate is? Opposing a radical feminist agenda?

See, this is where my problem is. When someone goes on a rant about evil, sexist games, I kinda find it exaggerated, self-serving and attention seeking. But then when the other side says they are about "opposing a radical feminist agenda", I find it even more objectionable.

I think people love causes, and this is especially true on the internet, where clicktivism costs nothing but gives you a lot of fuel for your righteous rage.

I think this is a reasonably fair interpretation of events.

I do think that the core feminist critique as it's coming from Sarkeesian et. al. - as annoying and attention seeking as it may seem - is pretty pedestrian. It's, like, Feminism 101. Why freak the fuck out about Feminism 101? Engage it on points of substance, as they may be, and ignore the rest, and you'll be fine (general you). Freaking the fuck out only makes the very basic level criticism seem ten times more topical and important.

CountDeMoney

Apparently gamergate was the subject of the Colbert Report tonight, and Anita was his guest.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on October 28, 2014, 01:17:42 AM
Taking into account that I consider one's gender to be immutably set at birth, would I consider a trans woman to be a man or a woman?  The language that all these people use with their 'cis' and their 'POC' escapes me.

If you want to make the point that you think they're full of shit and ridiculous, you consider them a man.
Now you sound like a dumb yokel. The part about never encountering "one of those types" makes you sound extra dumb - I can't count how many times I heard someone say this to me, but talking about gays. You may be making someone think of you not as an enemy, perhaps, but as a fool.
Of course, it would be just as unfair for someone to try and gauge someone's intelligence from the ability to discern the details of their obscure identity politics as it would for me to do the same over the minutiae of dreadnought battleships.  Still, it's no big deal to me.  I associate with the same group of two dozen or so people that I always do, and none of them think they're actually of the opposite gender.  Or are gay for that matter.

Maybe I encounter one while they're working in a retail store or something, but I'm not going to talk to them about their foolish life choices, just like I don't say anything to those stupid kids with the discs rammed into their earlobes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2014, 12:18:41 AM
Apparently gamergate was the subject of the Colbert Report tonight, and Anita was his guest.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2014, 08:15:15 AM

Of course, it would be just as unfair for someone to try and gauge someone's intelligence from the ability to discern the details of their obscure identity politics as it would for me to do the same over the minutiae of dreadnought battleships.  Still, it's no big deal to me.  I associate with the same group of two dozen or so people that I always do, and none of them think they're actually of the opposite gender.  Or are gay for that matter.

Maybe I encounter one while they're working in a retail store or something, but I'm not going to talk to them about their foolish life choices, just like I don't say anything to those stupid kids with the discs rammed into their earlobes.

How are you sure that noone out of the two dozen of people you associate with are not gay?

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2014, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2014, 08:15:15 AM

How are you sure that noone out of the two dozen of people you associate with are not gay?
Pretty sure.  We're all a little old for that kind of nonsense now.  Most of us are married or seriously dating at this point.  Moreover, my group tends to be fairly socially liberal.  I'm probably the most conservative, and even I wouldn't really have had a problem with gays if it wasn't for Paradox OT.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney