News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, after watching Anita Sarkeesian on the Colbert Report, she seems quite alright. I was expecting someone much more dogmatic and much less likeable.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2014, 04:34:31 PM
Ok, after watching Anita Sarkeesian on the Colbert Report, she seems quite alright. I was expecting someone much more dogmatic and much less likeable.

You're just hypnotized by her eyebrows.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Are you saying the drooling crowd who think calling someone a social justice warrior is a good insult might not be entirely rational? Say it isn't so.

Legbiter

Really?

She's Jack Thompson with tits except more malevolent because of pathetic white knights. If you can understand Al Sharpton's revenue model, you understand hers.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on October 31, 2014, 08:04:15 AM

Really?

She's Jack Thompson with tits except more malevolent because of pathetic white knights. If you can understand Al Sharpton's revenue model, you understand hers.

:lol:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Really?

I really didn't think much of her, but if she has you misogynists this worked up, she must have some good in her somewhere. :cheers:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2014, 12:31:08 PMI really didn't think much of her, but if she has you misogynists this worked up, she must have some good in her somewhere. :cheers:

Yeah that's where I'm coming from too. Insofar as I was aware of her I thought her mildly annoying, and thought it silly that she was getting this kind of attention for basic media criticism 101. Yes, there's a bunch of sexist shit in video games. Is that really a shock to anyone?

Now, given the hysteric reaction from the Legbiterites Sarkeesian seems both topical and assured of a long and lucrative career doing what she's doing.

Razgovory

Really?

Seriously?  Jack Thompson was a crazy lawyer who kept suing people in frivolous lawsuits until he got disbarred.  Sarkessian made some videos on the internet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on October 31, 2014, 01:53:53 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2014, 12:31:08 PMI really didn't think much of her, but if she has you misogynists this worked up, she must have some good in her somewhere. :cheers:

Yeah that's where I'm coming from too. Insofar as I was aware of her I thought her mildly annoying, and thought it silly that she was getting this kind of attention for basic media criticism 101. Yes, there's a bunch of sexist shit in video games. Is that really a shock to anyone?

Now, given the hysteric reaction from the Legbiterites Sarkeesian seems both topical and assured of a long and lucrative career doing what she's doing.

Well, she seems clever, to the point, reasonable, witty. Like Oscar Wilde, I tend to divide people into charming and tedious and she is not tedious. So I withdraw my objection.

The Minsky Moment

I guess that makes Martinus a "pathetic white knight"?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 31, 2014, 02:52:37 PM
I guess that makes Martinus a "pathetic white knight"?

We are all familiar with Martinus' tendency to jump to the defence of women in the hopes of having sex with them.

Martinus

The problem with the feminist critique of computer games is that it is very often quite selective and/or badly researched. For example, I saw one material where a scene from Dragon Age was deemed anti-woman because a woman was abused in it. But this is a game portraying a very dark Westeros-esque world where pretty much everyone who is not in power is abused - whether it is for being of an "inferior race", or "born this way" (as the case with those with magic talent) etc. I think a lot of rage comes from stuff like this.

Sure, there are many games out there where woman are portrayed in a non equal game, but surely Dragon Age is at the better end of the spectrum.

Razgovory

I've never watched the videos, though I do dislike how women are portrayed in games.  I find it insulting that someone thinks to sell me a game you need to show off a pair of big pixelated jugs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017