News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cooperation Is What Makes Us Human

Started by jimmy olsen, November 07, 2014, 02:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2014, 02:11:09 PM
Every time some stupid hippy goes on about how bad and violent humans are and how we're the only creature to have invented war I just want to slap them in the face. Its the total opposite. Humans are the only creature to have invented peace.

Ants? Whales? Trees?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Every time some stupid hippy goes on about how bad and violent humans are and how we're the only creature to have invented war I just want to slap them in the face.

So - every time someone goes on about how violent our species is, you feel the urge to ... attack them?   

That will show them their error!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Every time some stupid hippy goes on about how bad and violent humans are ... I just want to slap them in the face.

:lol:

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2014, 02:26:52 PM
Every time some stupid hippy goes on about how bad and violent humans are and how we're the only creature to have invented war I just want to slap them in the face. Its the total opposite. Humans are the only creature to have invented peace.

Ants? Whales? Trees?

I don't think trees are considered "creatures".

Eddie Teach

Plants compete for sunlight and water.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

When glancing I keep seeing the thread title as "Cooperstown is what makes us human".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2014, 04:03:07 PM
When glancing I keep seeing the thread title as "Cooperstown is what makes us human".

What's Cooperstown like?

Eddie Teach

Combines two of the most exciting pastimes in the world, baseball and going to museums.  :w00t:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2014, 05:05:20 PM

What's Cooperstown like?

Boring.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 07, 2014, 05:05:20 PM

What's Cooperstown like?

Don't listen to Ed.  It's only boring to him because there are no titty bars or drive-thru liquor stores.

It is a lovely and picturesque setting, especially in the early fall, straight out of a Rockwell painting.  With a serene lake, rolling hills blanketed with lush foliage and streets lined with traditional New England architecture, I imagine it's not much different than what white people heaven looks like.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

I forgot, you're on the wrong side of Ohio.  Probably not many over there in Jesus's Jockstrap, OH.

Ed Anger

None that I know of.

Hell, no full nudity in titty bars that serve booze.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 07, 2014, 04:47:16 AM
Quote from: citizen k on November 07, 2014, 03:08:19 AM
Other animals cooperate.  :huh:
The article goes into quite some detail explaining how the way we cooperate is different and more cognitvely complex then other animals, how about you read it.

You could say the same about our mating rituals, and I wouldn't make the claim that that's what makes us human.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 07, 2014, 07:49:32 PM
Drive thru liquor stores? MEOWTF?

I have heard of drive-thru daiquiris in Louisiana.