And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 12:34:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:22:05 AM
What I find particularly unappealing is that both sides seem to be treating this like an internet flamewar, calling each other names and flinging hyperbolic shit. Reading someone else's flamewar is never fun, no matter which side is right.

Then why are you here reading it?  I thought you tried to care and couldn't.  You just want to keep reminding us you are not interested?

Well, this is one of the most active threads on Languish at the moment. Also, out of morbid curiosity.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:40:16 AM

Her ex is accusing her of sleeping with many other people - while she was dating him - to get good game reviews. He could be telling the truth, or he could be lying. We don't know.

And how is it any of your business?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Really? People posting stuff online is an apt comparison to people mugging other people and breaking windows?  :D

Wow.  I can only assume you are either unbelievably stupid or a troll.  Since you already played the whole 'both sides are bad blah blah' card I assume the latter.  Fuck off.

What an asshole.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

What I find particularly unappealing is that both sides seem to be treating this like an internet flamewar, calling each other names and flinging hyperbolic shit. Reading someone else's flamewar is never fun, no matter which side is right.

Then why are you here reading it?  I thought you tried to care and couldn't.  You just want to keep reminding us you are not interested?

Marty is trolling right now, more aptly than Legbiter's attempt.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:40:49 AM

Well, this is one of the most active threads on Languish at the moment. Also, out of morbid curiosity.

Most people can't manage more than a :yawn: in the Ebola thread but some random blogger getting death threats from Internet trolls has them worked up. It's a puzzlement.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I don't understand any of this.  I don't know why people would care if she cheated on her boyfriend or not outside of her immediate circle of friends.  I could see how that would break up some friendships, but beyond that? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Really? People posting stuff online is an apt comparison to people mugging other people and breaking windows?  :D

Wow.  I can only assume you are either unbelievably stupid or a troll.  Since you already played the whole 'both sides are bad blah blah' card I assume the latter.  Fuck off.

What an asshole.

Wow. You are really being abrasive in this thread, quite out-of-character for you. The fact that you managed to keep your cool in threads about wars, riots, epidemics, rapes and politics, but cannot do that in a thread about a flamewar between bloggers is doubly puzzling. What the hell, Valmy?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2014, 01:43:50 AM
I don't understand any of this.  I don't know why people would care if she cheated on her boyfriend or not outside of her immediate circle of friends.  I could see how that would break up some friendships, but beyond that?

I don't care either. The cheated ex-boyfriend probably does. But then the other side is calling the ex-boyfriend names and presenting this chick as a victim of his attack. If we do not care about a spat between ex-lovers, we shouldn't give voice to either side, no?

grumbler

This thread delivers!

*pops popcorn*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

I think Jacob and Valmy should stop fighting over who's the biggest, most outraged White Knight of them all. Seriously, I glanced more at this psychodrama yesterday and felt a cold chill through my soul. :yuk:

Gas tumblr.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Quote from: Legbiter on October 17, 2014, 05:14:42 AM
I think Jacob and Valmy should stop fighting over who's the biggest, most outraged White Knight of them all. Seriously, I glanced more at this psychodrama yesterday and felt a cold chill through my soul. :yuk:

Gas tumblr.

I know. It is really bizarre.

Incidentally, I would be interested in Brazen's perspective on this. She is a woman writing about technology. Considering the level of death threats other women in the industry are apparently getting, she probably should be under a witness protection programme right now. :P

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 08:08:31 PMI don't doubt that's a thing that's been brewing for a while.

My personal take on that is that it's a giant crock of shit. I mean, I don't doubt that a bunch of people dubbed "SJW" are obnoxious and annoying and so on. But their influence is minimal outside their own insular circles. I mean... does anyone have a single example of a AAA game being influenced in any way by SJW shenanigans?

And if you are talking about "corruption" in the industry, why focus on the marginal influence that "SJW" types have rather than the access control, paid junkets, and straight up advertising-as-bribes that characterize most mainstream video game reviews?

it's 4chan, what do you expect.  :P

the other stuff is well known, but it doesn't fit quite as well with the us v. them mentality.

Quote from: merithyn#gamergate started with Quinn's ex-boyfriend.

i guess it depends on "started with." aside from glancing at the board every now and then, i don't frequent 4chan all too often. the hashtag probably did appear after the ex-boyfriend rant. i think the quinn hate and FYC stuff blew up a month or two before that, though -- that's more what i meant. but i'm going off a vague recollection, so i could very well be wrong.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2014, 09:09:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2014, 09:00:40 PM
Jeez, why so nasty Valmy?

Exhausted really.  I have been in midterm exams mode for three straight weeks and going on just a few hours sleep.  Also Spicey post was idiotic and he just tossed in there like a troll bomb.  Vague claims of 'both sides being bad' along with accusations that anonymous 'sources' are being unfair?  Please.

I guess you didn't read the reason.com link I posted.  Since you're short on time due to midterms and all, I'll save you the time.  From that link:

QuoteThe TFYC hacking was just one of many disturbing incidents directed at GamerGate supporters. In late September, there was a "doxxing"—net-speak for public release of private information—directed at six prominent GamerGate supporters including Yiannopoulous and Baldwin, with their "crimes" listed alongside their home addresses. Yiannopoulous also received a jiffy bag in the mail containing a syringe. Oliver Campbell, a black male videogame journalist, has written about being harassed and threatened on Twitter after he spoke out in support of GamerGate.

A young female gamergater who wanted to be identified only as Lizzy F.—she says there have been attempts to hack into her email and Twitter account—wrote to me in an email that she has experienced a stream of harassment:

I have been told to drop dead on multiple occasions, and received a threat of "I hope your windows are secure." The last statement was sent from someone who also threatened to release the home address of another female supporter. I have been called a gender traitor, a "token," all off the female derogatory slurs in the book, and even had my "woman card" revoked, somehow.

I'm kind of surprised that you assumed the nastiness would have been completely one-sided.  Even if the Misogenerds were the ones who started it, you have to think that some from the other side are going to retaliate in kind.

Anyway, Valmy-- have a Snickers.  You're just not yourself when you're hungry :hug:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 12:33:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:29:40 AM
Maybe this Quinn is a really bad person, though?

Maybe my house is made out of candy canes.  Maybe the moon is made of cheese.

So what?  Her entire role in this nonsense was that she had sex with some dude so far as I can tell.  If that makes you a bad person I guess you are fucked.

With Five Guys, actually :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:05:35 AM

I guess you didn't read the reason.com link I posted.  Since you're short on time due to midterms and all, I'll save you the time.  From that link:

Why would anyone read a "Reason" article?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017