News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 06:53:44 PM
Depression Quest is a free game. It's not much of a game, apparently, being a "walking simulator" (whatever that is - I'm guessing it's a point and click type thing).

I just looked it up. Looks like an online text adventure about a depressed person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2014, 06:58:47 PM
Depression Quest is a free game. It's not much of a game, apparently, being a "walking simulator" (whatever that is - I'm guessing it's a point and click type thing).

I just looked it up. Looks like an online text adventure about a depressed person.

Yeah, that's it.

Some people liked it, and it got an honorable mention in some indie developer competition or something, for being mildly clever in illustrating depression.

... and that, apparently, undermines gaming and is a feminist conspiracy etc etc

derspiess

Seems like there is a good deal of nastiness going in both directions, though some sources only seem to mention what the misogenerds are doing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

jacob, gamergate stems more from backlash over "social justice warriors" (SJW) and perceived influence SJWs have on videogames development/reviews. SJWs = tumblr feminists. it's been a pretty slow buildup for several years. reviewers raving over Gone Home, cherry-picked articles discussing perceived misogyny in character development, etc., helped add to the perception that these SJWs have a sort of control over the industry.

IIRC, the very start of gamersgate occurred over a dispute between zoe quinn and some kickstarter game (Fine Young Capitalists). 4chan got involved with promoting the game because they saw it as anti-SJW. the ex-boyfriend post very much added to the fire, but i don't know if that's conclusively where the "anti-corruption in the industry" mantra originated.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
Seems like there is a good deal of nastiness going in both directions, though some sources only seem to mention what the misogenerds are doing.

Yeah? What's some of the nastiness going on towards the gamergate crew?

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on October 16, 2014, 07:21:24 PM
jacob, gamergate stems more from backlash over "social justice warriors" (SJW) and perceived influence SJWs have on videogames development/reviews. SJWs = tumblr feminists. it's been a pretty slow buildup for several years. reviewers raving over Gone Home, cherry-picked articles discussing perceived misogyny in character development, etc., helped add to the perception that these SJWs have a sort of control over the industry.

IIRC, the very start of gamersgate occurred over a dispute between zoe quinn and some kickstarter game (Fine Young Capitalists). 4chan got involved with promoting the game because they saw it as anti-SJW. the ex-boyfriend post very much added to the fire, but i don't know if that's conclusively where the "anti-corruption in the industry" mantra originated.

I don't doubt that's a thing that's been brewing for a while.

My personal take on that is that it's a giant crock of shit. I mean, I don't doubt that a bunch of people dubbed "SJW" are obnoxious and annoying and so on. But their influence is minimal outside their own insular circles. I mean... does anyone have a single example of a AAA game being influenced in any way by SJW shenanigans?

And if you are talking about "corruption" in the industry, why focus on the marginal influence that "SJW" types have rather than the access control, paid junkets, and straight up advertising-as-bribes that characterize most mainstream video game reviews?

I don't doubt that it did not spring up fully formed in response to Quinn's and Gjoni's breakup; I'm sure the various strand have been weaving for a while, so to speak. But the rage against SJW re: games is just as big a crock of shit as the more recent particulars precipitating this particular shit tornado. When it comes to AAA development, SJW influence is entirely non-existent.

Not sure how this will play out on the larger scale in the next little while. I don't really see how the industry could move much further away from SJW concerns, ever for people who find them obnoxious or outright hate them, and I do think this debacle will move some industry people to take them more seriously. Personally I've moved from basically ignoring Sarkeesian to thinking what she's doing is important given where we apparently are at.

Valmy

LOL seriously?  The massive amounts of corruptions swindling gamers into downloading a free game they might not like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2014, 08:22:18 PM

LOL seriously?  The massive amounts of corruptions swindling gamers into downloading a free game they might not like.

You laugh, V, but the struggle is real. Time wasted is money wasted, brah.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Oh?  How many sources have you read?  How have you gotten this vague seeming type feeling?  Think for that juicy nugget.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 07:47:19 PM

She's pointing her breasts at them.  Filthy whore.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 07:47:19 PM

Things seem a certain way to him, his Spicey sense is tingling.

So disappointed in you Spicey I told it was idiotic and not to bother.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Even the mild-mannered Valmy gets fed up with derfetus's war on wymmyn from time to time.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2014, 09:00:40 PM
Jeez, why so nasty Valmy?

Exhausted really.  I have been in midterm exams mode for three straight weeks and going on just a few hours sleep.  Also Spicey post was idiotic and he just tossed in there like a troll bomb.  Vague claims of 'both sides being bad' along with accusations that anonymous 'sources' are being unfair?  Please.

merithyn

Quote from: LaCroix on October 16, 2014, 07:21:24 PM

#gamergate started with Quinn's ex-boyfriend. The reason it took off was because there were enough people already pissed off at her because of her in-your-face claims about misogyny and abuse by other gamers. The FYC thing was pulled out of obscurity in order to show Quinn as this lying hack, and as a "social justice" thing that 4chan supported to say, "See?! We're really great people and Quinn is really a bitch."

Which it sounds like she is. But disliking a person and what they have to say doesn't okay treating her - or a myriad of others perceived to be like her - the way that the #gamergate crew are treating her. And the way that they went about it was pure intentional character assassination because they disagreed with her message. Again, not acceptable.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...