News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I admit that I'd just be standing around watching.... and comparing, erm, attributes. :perv:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 09:49:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 15, 2014, 08:29:38 PM
Isn't gamergate an online game store?

I cannot tell you how confusing that was in the early stages of this.  I was like 'why is everybody talking about Gamersgate...wasn't that shut down?'

Looks like they are still up.  But here's something:  Paradox said they weren't going to be releasing their content for Crusader Kings 2 on there anymore (which was weird by its self since Paradox stated up Gamersgate).  Everyone who used that service was encouraged to use steam.  So I typed in every stupid game code into Steam to register it.  I look at their front page and they're selling the most recent DLC right now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

While I completely agree that death threats on that magnitude (School shooting threats?  Seriously?  I hope you get your protein rectally through 3 buttfucks a day in jail) demand the hammer be dropped...

I couldn't stop myself from that initial thought of how oddly coincidental it is, since Anita Sarkeesian's play of the victim card is what's largely driven her career the past couple of years. :blush:
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2014, 06:44:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2014, 03:13:27 PM
This the group Jacob?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/09/addressing-allegations-of-collusion-among-gaming-journalists/

Once upon a time, the only thing journalists would do together would just drink, play cards and keep the inside bullshit amongst themselves.  The Boys On The Bus they ain't.

Heh.  I like that his response is to something written by someone from the Breitbart website (that Derspeiss brought to us and has in turned brought us such gems as the doctored ACORN videos).  Naturally our conservative friends see a conspiracy here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

How does one "play the victim card" in this scenario? By saying, "Because I said this game was sexist against women, I'm being threatened with rape, torture, and murder. Oh, and now an entire university is being threatened, too."? Is that "playing the victim card" or is it reporting what's actually happening to her simply because she says, "This game isn't socially acceptable."? ie voicing an opinion that others don't like.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2014, 10:28:46 PM
I couldn't stop myself from that initial thought of how oddly coincidental it is, since Anita Sarkeesian's play of the victim card is what's largely driven her career the past couple of years. :blush:

Well you have to admit if you are an activist trying to expose sexism in the gaming industry you would be an idiot not to play up getting death and rape threats.  It seems to weird to call doing what is logical for an activist to do 'playing a card'.  I guess dogs 'play the barking card' and parrots 'play the squawking card'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I wish people would stop considering anal sex a bad thing. I'm looking at you "bisexual" Carrot and "gay" Martina.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2014, 10:31:46 PM
How does one "play the victim card" in this scenario? By saying, "Because I said this game was sexist against women, I'm being threatened with rape, torture, and murder. Oh, and now an entire university is being threatened, too."? Is that "playing the victim card" or is it reporting what's actually happening to her simply because she says, "This game isn't socially acceptable."? ie voicing an opinion that others don't like.

This incident is newsworthy because it's the exception, not the rule.  "Play the victim card" was poor composition on my part- Sarkeesian's talks and articles mostly center on her amazing ability to find sexism in nearly any comment and then be disturbed by how "commonplace" sexism is in the gamer community.

She tends to focus on smack talk directed at female gamers and get all upset while completely ignoring that it happens to male gamers, too.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on October 15, 2014, 10:38:49 PM
I wish people would stop considering anal sex a bad thing. I'm looking at you "bisexual" Carrot and "gay" Martina.

Hyperbolic language about anal rape being unenjoyable != "anal sex is a bad thing."

In fact, I frequently Ask for Anal(TM).
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2014, 10:31:46 PM

If somebody gets death threats they should be quiet to protect the death threaters.  They at least owe them that much.

But again um if you have a cause you would be a freaking idiot not to use these attacks to advance it.  Her harassers are proving her right.  Anybody who didn't think sexism is a huge problem amongst the male population are being shown otherwise.  Anybody who didn't think gaming culture wasn't violently misogynistic have to reconsider.  It is amazing how counter-productive the efforts of the Legbiter community are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2014, 10:41:38 PM
She tends to focus on smack talk directed at female gamers and get all upset while completely ignoring that it happens to male gamers, too.

Because that is not her job?  She is not some sort of supernatural being smiting all wrongs she is a Feminist Activist.  She will do things Feminist activists do.  That is as big of a failing as farmers completely ignoring ranching.

'My plumber tends to focus on my plumbing but completely ignores my electrical system'

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 10:52:39 PM
If somebody gets death threats they should be quiet to protect the death threaters.  They at least owe them that much.
This was a valid concern, and I never said that it wasn't.

QuoteBut again um if you have a cause you would be a freaking idiot not to use these attacks to advance it.  Her harassers are proving her right.  Anybody who didn't think sexism is a huge problem amongst the male population are being shown otherwise.  Anybody who didn't think gaming culture wasn't violently misogynistic have to reconsider.  It is amazing how counter-productive the efforts of the Legbiter community are.

It's the exception that proves the rule, I guess.  And Legbiter?  My first thought was 4Chan, honestly.  It's the kind of casual, completely disproportionate "response" that's de rigeur for 4Chan posters.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2014, 10:57:43 PM
It's the exception that proves the rule, I guess.  And Legbiter?  My first thought was 4Chan, honestly.  It's the kind of casual, completely disproportionate "response" that's de rigeur for 4Chan posters.

I was just pulling his chain.  Yes Anime fans do have quite an unsavory reputation.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2014, 09:48:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2014, 02:58:03 PM
No shit.  It's basically a locker room here.

If this was a locker room I would be ignoring all of you and hurrying as fast as I could to wash up and get out.

Siege would be leaving tons of his nasty ass nappy Arab hair in clumps in the shower, just to find out it's his Jew pubes.

Jacob

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 15, 2014, 10:57:43 PM

Well it's not the exception, it happens all the time. Lots of people are getting death threats over this shit. I know several, just today.

Check this out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/anita-sarkeesian_b_5993082.html