And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2014, 10:15:34 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 16, 2014, 05:19:23 AM
Those registration code pop ups usually are only relevant if a game makes you register it either for multiplayer (e.g. the Wargame series) or if the developers make you register the game with them, too (e.g. Ubisoft). And then you'll only need it once, too. :)

You can deactivate them, and if a game actually asks for them, you can still look up the code in your library.

Yeah sounds like the real problem here is that Age is a very silly man. :D

I prefer "single-minded". :contract:

:P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 16, 2014, 11:30:20 AM
But if you want try to delve into the motivations, here are a few bits to delve into:

Here's a manifesto to enjoy: http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/printthread.php?t=217525

Both of these just leave me scratching my head.  They're total non sequiturs - the arguments have absolutely nothing to do with what the #gamergate people are doing,

Quote from: Jacob
And here are a couple of counterpoints:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/16/of-gamers-gates-and-disco-demolition-the-roots-of-reactionary-rage.html

But this just seems bizarre.  It's trying to connect #gamergate to the anti-disco backlash of the late 70s.  That's from just the beginning of my pop culture awareness, but I didn't recall any such racial bias in favour of (white) rock over (black) disco.  It was just one of those cultural things - disco had become so popular, so fast, that it ceased to be cool.  It's just a really tortured analogy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/gamergate-is-an-attack-on-ethical-journalism/

This.  This I agree with.  It's not about journalistic ethics.  It's about wanting to dictate what can and can not be discussed.

To me - and I obviously have my own sets of bias etc - it doesn't seem to be primarily trolling, but rather a reactionary mob with a few bits of legitimate complaint mixed into a giant ball of incoherent rage.

I guess you and I are in agreement then.  It's not trolling - it's not being done "for the lulz".  There's enough people spending an inordinate amount of time on this there's some genuine emotion bound up in it.  But it's just emotion that has no reasoned, ethical basis for it's justification.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

To me - and I obviously have my own sets of bias etc - it doesn't seem to be primarily trolling, but rather a reactionary mob with a few bits of legitimate complaint mixed into a giant ball of incoherent rage.

Here's a compromise - let's have the authorities arrest the people making death threats etc. - and then, at their trials, we can ask them.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

I tried but I still can't find enough strength in me to feel an interest in this.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2014, 03:21:47 PM
I tried but I still can't find enough strength in me to feel an interest in this.

Why in Hods name would you try to feel an interest in something this stupid?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2014, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 16, 2014, 03:21:47 PM

Why in Hods name would you try to feel an interest in something this stupid?

I still find myself unsure of which side is "gamergate" and un-motivated to find out.

Sorry if this is making people you know unhappy, Jake.  It seems the veriest storm in a tea cup.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2014/10/12/gamergate-part-i-sex-lies-and-gender-gam

:ph34r:

Reasonably written. I disagree with a number of points and interpretations, but it's certainly reasonably written. The problem with gamergate is that any semblance of reasonable points is being drowned out by a whole bunch of vile shit. The signal to noise ration is very very low.

Basically, your link says "it's not about this toxic shit, it's about these important things." The problem is that the vast majority of the stuff coming out of gamergate is either toxic or non-sensical like the stuff I linked above. And the rage about "credibility" and "SJW" and "corruption" is completely misdirected in terms of things that have an actual impact on the game industry.

A good summary here: https://plus.google.com/+DavidHillJr/posts/fT3tNRVWL3o

QuoteA couple of days ago, I posted an email from the San Francisco Police Department verifying a police report placed by Anita Sarkeesian. Why? Because a muckraker accused her of lying, and drummed up a BUNCH of hate. His message had over six hundred reshares. His thread had dozens of people talking about how she needs to be imprisoned, how she needs to be shot, and how she's... you get the picture. So, I fact-checked. And I posted the results of that fact-checking. Did I get six hundred people recanting their threats, insults, and accusations? No. I got a couple dozen people threatening me, and a fuckton of people insulting me for DARING to fact-check a journalist. When, mind you, the Gamergate movement is supposedly about holding journalists accountable. Do you know how many messages came up to the effect of, "Oh. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and accused her without the facts?" None. None at all.

So understand why a lot of us say, "This group of people is toxic." It's because a large majority of what we're experiencing is people doing very toxic things. There are some reasonable voices. But from where we stand, they're a stark minority. The movement is about accountability and ethics in journalism, yet the ONLY reaction I got from fact-checking a journalist was hate, denial, threats, and insults. From where I stand, calling Gamergate toxic and hateful isn't a far stretch at all, because it appears to be doing toxic and hateful things.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2014, 02:26:48 PM

Here's a compromise - let's have the authorities arrest the people making death threats etc. - and then, at their trials, we can ask them.  ;)

Or, we could not bother to ask them at their trial.  That would work for me, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 16, 2014, 02:04:59 PM
Both of these just leave me scratching my head.  They're total non sequiturs - the arguments have absolutely nothing to do with what the #gamergate people are doing,

It does have a lot to do with what gamergate is doing, in that it's representative of the incoherent arguments they're putting out for their theoretically non-hateful points.

Quote from: JacobBut this just seems bizarre.  It's trying to connect #gamergate to the anti-disco backlash of the late 70s.  That's from just the beginning of my pop culture awareness, but I didn't recall any such racial bias in favour of (white) rock over (black) disco.  It was just one of those cultural things - disco had become so popular, so fast, that it ceased to be cool.  It's just a really tortured analogy.

I didn't think I'd find a lot of takers for that here :lol:
... and I'm not completely sold on it myself.

QuoteThis.  This I agree with.  It's not about journalistic ethics.  It's about wanting to dictate what can and can not be discussed.

I guess you and I are in agreement then.  It's not trolling - it's not being done "for the lulz".  There's enough people spending an inordinate amount of time on this there's some genuine emotion bound up in it.  But it's just emotion that has no reasoned, ethical basis for it's justification.

Yeah, same page here.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on October 16, 2014, 02:26:48 PM

Sure!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2014, 03:55:01 PM
I still find myself unsure of which side is "gamergate" and un-motivated to find out.

Sorry if this is making people you know unhappy, Jake.  It seems the veriest storm in a tea cup.

Yeah, it really should just be dumb-ass internet drama, but when it starts into pretty average people getting hatemail and death threats it kind of crosses a line for me. As long as it's just people calling each other names on twitter and FB and whatever I don't really care, but when there's doxxing and harassing emails and phonecalls etc it's at a new level, especially when it gets directed at people I'm close to.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 16, 2014, 03:56:06 PM
Or, we could not bother to ask them at their trial.  That would work for me, as well.

That also works for me!

Razgovory

I do not understand "gamer" culture at all.  Not least because there is a "gamer" culture.  Hell, When I was in middle school I tended to keep my interest in computer games secret lest I be mocked for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

But if you want try to delve into the motivations, here are a few bits to delve into:

I know I'm not the smartest guy here, so maybe it's just me, but that makes no sense.  I can't even follow the logic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017