News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

#Gamergate goes off the deep end

Started by merithyn, October 15, 2014, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Really? People posting stuff online is an apt comparison to people mugging other people and breaking windows?  :D

Biggest indication that you don't know what's actually going on.

If it were left on the internet, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about this. Since it's gone "real world" into serious threats of bodily harm (with their home addresses attached), murder, the loss of careers, etc., I'm going to go with yeah, the Brown shirts are a pretty apt description.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:05:35 AM

I guess you didn't read the reason.com link I posted.  Since you're short on time due to midterms and all, I'll save you the time.  From that link:

Why would anyone read a "Reason" article?

Because they're interested in reading a libertarian view on something?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:40:49 AM
Well, this is one of the most active threads on Languish at the moment. Also, out of morbid curiosity.

That's pretty much why I'm taking an interest.  Plus I'm still trying to come to terms with how old and disconnected I am-- I had no idea this shitstorm was going on until Meri started this thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:29:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:05:35 AM

I guess you didn't read the reason.com link I posted.  Since you're short on time due to midterms and all, I'll save you the time.  From that link:

Why would anyone read a "Reason" article?

Because they're interested in reading a libertarian view on something?

I guess you're suddenly feeling some libertarian inclinations, eh?

crazy canuck

Is it wrong that I have no idea what Gamersgate is (other than a paradox game portal) or that I have no clue what you guys are talking about?

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2014, 09:50:58 AM
Is it wrong that I have no idea what Gamersgate is (other than a paradox game portal) or that I have no clue what you guys are talking about?

Nope, not wrong at all.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 09:48:47 AM

Been there for a while, my friend.  I score right at 75% on the various "are you a libertarian" tests. 

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 17, 2014, 09:50:58 AM

It means you are an asshole and you hate women.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 17, 2014, 12:33:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:29:40 AM
Maybe this Quinn is a really bad person, though?

Maybe my house is made out of candy canes.  Maybe the moon is made of cheese.

So what?  Her entire role in this nonsense was that she had sex with some dude so far as I can tell.  If that makes you a bad person I guess you are fucked.

With Five Guys, actually :D

Pfft. Way more than that.

Oh, you are talking about the chick?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:55:35 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 17, 2014, 09:48:47 AM

Been there for a while, my friend.  I score right at 75% on the various "are you a libertarian" tests.

Didn't realize that, but that makes sense.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on October 17, 2014, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 12:37:27 AM
Really? People posting stuff online is an apt comparison to people mugging other people and breaking windows?  :D

Biggest indication that you don't know what's actually going on.

If it were left on the internet, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about this. Since it's gone "real world" into serious threats of bodily harm (with their home addresses attached), murder, the loss of careers, etc., I'm going to go with yeah, the Brown shirts are a pretty apt description.

Did anyone actually carry out any of these threats? Finding someone's address is very easy these days - this is what 4chan trolls do. They think it is funny. It is fucked up but that does not mean it is comparable to nazi paramilitary groups actually carrying out acts of violence.  :huh:

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2014, 10:44:27 AM
Did anyone actually carry out any of these threats? Finding someone's address is very easy these days - this is what 4chan trolls do. They think it is funny. It is fucked up but that does not mean it is comparable to nazi paramilitary groups actually carrying out acts of violence.  :huh:

If someone called in bomb-threats against a gay pride parade or threatened to shoot up a university audience because they were listening to a gay speaker, would you think it warranted a serious reaction or dismissal?

Grallon

I wonder if such a visible shit storm will give traction/leverage to those who wish to enforce greater control/regulations on the Net?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Jacob

Quote from: Grallon on October 17, 2014, 11:08:20 AM
I wonder if such a visible shit storm will give traction/leverage to those who wish to enforce greater control/regulations on the Net?

G.

I expect it will. And I expect it will also undermine some of the potential public support for pushing against that greater control and regulations.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
With Five Guys, actually :D

Screwing hamburgers and french fries? :x

Hey, somebody's gotta pick the low-hanging fruit.  Might as well be the short guy. :P
Experience bij!