News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Snoop? That's kind of cool. MC Solaar is also cool. As is Laetitia Casta as well.

Admiral Yi

What does Snoop have to do with the Olympics?  Bad pick.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2024, 06:25:14 PMWhat does Snoop have to do with the Olympics?  Bad pick.

About the same as MC Solaar and Laetitia Casta - they're cultural icons.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2024, 06:25:14 PMWhat does Snoop have to do with the Olympics?  Bad pick.

He does Olympic recaps with Kevin Hart :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2024, 06:35:29 PM

Which culture?
Can't say I've heard of them.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 24, 2024, 01:37:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2024, 06:35:29 PM

Which culture?
Can't say I've heard of them.

:zipped:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I see there's a link where its mentioned that they're French celebs.
Fair enough.
On French rap, fun fact, English gets the very concept of rhyming from French. Before the Normans that just wasn't how we did poetry.
Yet I've still yet to hear a decent French rap song.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 24, 2024, 03:01:27 AMI see there's a link where its mentioned that they're French celebs.
Fair enough.
On French rap, fun fact, English gets the very concept of rhyming from French. Before the Normans that just wasn't how we did poetry.
Yet I've still yet to hear a decent French rap song.

MC Solaar even had a song featured back in the day in Sex and the City.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I have heard of Casta. Never heard of this MC whoever.

crazy canuck

Good indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

:huh:

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

Laetitia Casta is a model who was a biggest in the late 90s/early 00s.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

You might be surprised to learn I never watched sex in the city.

And in the late 90s, I was busy being a father of toddlers.

My cultural awareness ends at about the mid 90s, and then picks up again when my boys became old enough to bring me back into the loop.  But now it's all second hand.

Now if you want to talk about cultural icons of the 80s, I am there for you.

Josquius

My defence of not knowing who the hottest brat pop star of today is, I wouldn't have known their equivalent when I was 20 either. I was too busy being into things that were good.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 06:24:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:17:13 AM

You might be surprised to learn I never watched sex in the city.

And in the late 90s, I was busy being a father of toddlers.

Far out.

You said 'how culturally out of touch we are now' and I was pointing out 'now' is more than two decades ago in this instance.

Grey Fox

It's significant cultural icons for France, not the US-UK axis of celebrity.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.