Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:28:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 06:24:55 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 06:17:13 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

:huh:

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

Laetitia Casta is a model who was a biggest in the late 90s/early 00s.

You might be surprised to learn I never watched sex in the city.

And in the late 90s, I was busy being a father of toddlers.

Far out.

You said 'how culturally out of touch we are now' and I was pointing out 'now' is more than two decades ago in this instance.

Cool, but you are missing the point that they were culturally relevant at a time that I would've noticed them because of my age and stage.

Don't forget, you are much younger than most of us here.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 05:58:43 AMGood indication how culturally out of touch we are now.  I have not heard of them either.   

MC Solaar is 55. His song that made it into Sex and the City came out in 2001. That's not exactly cutting edge.

MC Solaar is one, if not the only one, literate rapper in France. For the current hip hop generation, he's old however, so no longer a reference, not to mention his lyrics are too complex for them.  :P

Laëtitia Casta also has had cinema roles.

Savonarola

I've heard of both MC Solaar and Laetitia Casta; but only because my French prof was adamant about building interest in French (language) culture.  (Fortunately not to the point that she played Rod McKuen, though we did have to listen to Jacques Brel.)  That turned out to be helpful as later on I watched a jazz documentary and saw the collaboration between MC Solaar and (jazz bassist) Ron Carter.

I wouldn't expect many Americans to know French rappers ; that would be a niche taste here (it could be different in other English speaking countries.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

As a matter of fact, I learnt from a Briton that one of MC Solaar's songs was used in Sex and the City (not part of the demographic for this series I guess).

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 07:03:45 AM

Far out.

You said 'how culturally out of touch we are now' and I was pointing out 'now' is more than two decades ago in this instance.

Cool, but you are missing the point that they were culturally relevant at a time that I would've noticed them because of my age and stage.

Cool but that has nothing to do with now. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 24, 2024, 09:16:26 AMAs a matter of fact, I learnt from a Briton that one of MC Solaar's was used in Sex and the City (not part of the demographic for this series I guess).

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2024, 09:44:15 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 07:03:45 AM

Far out.

Cool but that has nothing to do with now. :cool:

It has everything to do with now, a lot of us here or at the demographic that even older entertainers are outside of our knowledge.  That was sort of the joke.

garbon

I see, definitely was a whoosh for me.

Valmy

Those people were popular when I was in college and I just turned 47.  :lol: I presume we are at least hip enough to be aware of cultural icons from our late teens and early 20s.

Tamas doesn't know who they are because he was in Hungary at the time I assume.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2024, 10:45:58 AM

Those people were popular when I was in college and I just turned 47.  :lol: I presume we are at least hip enough to be aware of cultural icons from our late teens and early 20s.

Tamas doesn't know who they are because he was in Hungary at the time I assume.

You are also young :p

The reason I said I would be there for you guys if we were talking about 80s cultural icons is that is when I was in university.

Josquius

Dude. You're like. 100.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2024, 04:45:42 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 24, 2024, 12:53:36 PMDude. You're like. 100.

1980s not the 1880s - thats Grumbler  :D
Hey!  Don't knock the 1880s.  :mad:   The Gunfight at the OK Corral was a lot more interesting than any gunfight of the 1980s.  Life expectancy was only 39 years, but we liked that because we could inherit while still young enough to enjoy the money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

First we lose to Fiji in rugby and then our men's soccer team gets blasted by France. This country is finished thanks to Joe Biden.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 24, 2024, 07:48:21 PMFirst we lose to Fiji in rugby and then our men's soccer team gets blasted by France. This country is finished thanks to Joe Biden.

It's Joever for America  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."