News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I don't know, I typically buy too much bread on the weekend and it sits out for longer than that. I think it is fine for about 4 days. After that it is still edible but not as enjoyable.

It is a sourdough, so that might make a difference?

Josquius

Yeah, proper bread goes hard long before it gets mouldy.
Cant think I've ever seen it go mouldy.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Pre-sliced bread that's still freshly baked gets to stay out for 3-4 days, and then the fridge if there's any left. Pre-sliced bread from the supermarket that's sat around there for a few days first goes straight to the fridge as it's usually slightly stale anyhow.

Bread from a baker or homebaked stays on the counter until it's eaten (or it goes hard).

I also think that fresh bread shouldn't be kept in a sealed plastic bag the first day or two as it makes the crusty soft and soggy immediately, which is a waste. Using a paper bag, bread box, or cloth is far superior.

Zanza

I live near a good bakery, so I only buy bread there. I try to only buy bread for the next three days or so. That bread can then stay on the counter. If it gets hard, I make croutons for salad from it.

Sheilbh

Yeah I had no idea people put bread in the fridge.

This feels like going to university and discovering other families put/don't put eggs in the fridge :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Related: I was just in a supermarket in Italy (a Carrefour though). They had Babybel, next to the UHT/plant-based milk, not in the fridge.  :wacko:

Norgy

Well, we have the salted and smoked meat in some supermarkets non-refrigerated. I think the staff generally has very little training in how to store or treat foodstuffs. They do know how to work a cash register.

Babybel is Dutch, right? So it is probably so full of various preservatives and anti-biotics that it keeps almost forever.

Maladict

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 02:03:20 PMBabybel is Dutch, right? So it is probably so full of various preservatives and anti-biotics that it keeps almost forever.

Not Dutch afaik.

And am I the only one who puts bread in the freezer?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on July 29, 2024, 02:06:14 PMNot Dutch afaik.

My mum does that. Also milk. But she does a big big shop :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Maladict on July 29, 2024, 02:06:14 PM
Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 02:03:20 PMBabybel is Dutch, right? So it is probably so full of various preservatives and anti-biotics that it keeps almost forever.

Not Dutch afaik.

It's French. Same group as Laughing Cow / La Vache qui rit.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Norgy

Not Dutch afaik.

I sort of have a thing for storing at  6-8 days of supplies including food, so freezing bread, yes. Also having enough dry goods to making bread. The deep freezer is a fine thing. Well. Unless it is your wife or girlfriend being frosty.

Jacob

I occasionally freeze bread products, but it's not a common habit. If I do freeze it, I must toast it as part of getting it ready to eat.

Norgy

The air fryer is a fine invention. I would have preferred a wood-fired one, since Vlad the Pooting is probably coming for us. 

Bread or just bran muffins make themselves in the time it takes me to fret over life, make a pot of coffee and have a cigarette.

Grey Fox

Not Dutch afaik.

I do that too. I have a coffin size freezer full of different breads (and other food items).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I definitely have a childhood memory of opening a babybel and the thing was absolutely rancid. It happens
██████
██████
██████