News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 07:49:43 AMWe need the USSR again. Olympics aren't fun unless they're the Cold War writ small.

We kinda got China in that role now.  Personally, I find the Olympics fun as long as one country doesn't run away with the majority of the event wins.

HVC

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 18, 2024, 09:24:00 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2024, 07:49:43 AMWe need the USSR again. Olympics aren't fun unless they're the Cold War writ small.

We kinda got China in that role now.  Personally, I find the Olympics fun as long as one country doesn't run away with the majority of the event wins.

The steroid use is the same, but they're missing the dead Slavic stare and rugged jawline*

* of the women :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I love the Olympics :lol:

The BBC is really good at "introduction to..." sections about different sports and commentators explaining what matters. So every time I find myself getting passionately involved and caring about a sport I was barely even aware of a week before :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I've never been that into the olympics, but what little affection I have, it's mostly reserved for the Winter Olympics.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Like the true Canucklehead you are. :P

Grey Fox

To balance that. As it is well known, I love the Olympics. Summer & Winter.

I am really happy that we are finally out of the Asian Olympics, 3 in a row was a lot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Some of the winter sports are interesting but Summer is the big show

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 18, 2024, 10:19:10 AMSome of the winter sports are interesting but Summer is the big show

Especially if you love swimming. So much swimming.

But yeah the Olympics are awesome. I am looking forward to it, especially being back in Paris. My second son was born during the opening ceremonies to the London Olympics in 2012 and this one will open the day before his 12th birthday so that makes it personally special as well. I always think of the day he was born when I see the Olympic Opening ceremonies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I plan on boiling alive while at the Olympics this year! :cool: :sleep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I remember back when I took introductory Dutch classes, weirdly one of the first things taught was about diminutives. Adding tje to the end of words to make them cutesy. Basically the same as English adding Y to everything.
Other languages do this but its not a priority. Across all my French education I never once heard about the ilou thing, I only learned that from native speakers using it.
I wonder if this Dutch teacher was weird or the Dutch really do adore cute things just so much that its a fundamental first semester part of the language.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Argentina too - diminutive is important and, I think, they use it a lot more than rest of Spanish speaking world.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Portuguese too.

Also, what do you mean by adding y in words in English to make it cute? Closest I can think of is adding the work itsy in front of the noun :lol:  go from house to itsy house, cup to itsy cup, etc :D

*edit* we can also throw gender in there. So you go from cat, to cute little boy cat or cute little girl cat with a suffix

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 19, 2024, 07:13:56 AMPortuguese too.

Also, what do you mean by adding y in words in English to make it cute? Closest I can think of is adding the work itsy in front of the noun :lol:  go from house to itsy house, cup to itsy cup, etc :D

*edit* we can also throw gender in there. So you go from cat, to cute little boy cat or cute little girl cat with a suffix

What is an itsy cup???

Horse -> Horsey
Ted -> Teddy
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2024, 07:24:20 AM

What is an itsy cup???

Horse -> Horsey
Ted -> Teddy

A small cup hahah.

Gotcha with the y. It's still early

Grey Fox

Have you never watch Hockey?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.