News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I find using mm for measurement to be ridiculous, mainly because 1 mm is too small of a measurement to accurately picture in my mind.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2024, 01:16:53 PMI find using mm for measurement to be ridiculous, mainly because 1 mm is too small of a measurement to accurately picture in my mind.

You clearly haven't adjusted that many welding jigs. :P

HVC

Here in the land of Ice and snow we don't really bother with decimeter. We usually go mm, cm, m. My experience with portuguese leads me to belive that dm is more used in euro land.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

The only things measured in inches are dicks and how close you were to being shot.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 16, 2024, 01:41:36 PMThe only things measured in inches are dicks and how close you were to being shot.

You'd think you'd euros would use cm. Get a bigger number
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 16, 2024, 01:41:36 PMThe only things measured in inches are dicks and how close you were to being shot.

With a dick? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 16, 2024, 01:44:46 PM

Brits are Euros now?!  :D

Barrister

What a strange thing to say...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 16, 2024, 02:39:14 PM

Mainly when I want to insult euros :P

PRC

Don't American engineers or surveyors use the metric system officially?

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 16, 2024, 02:39:14 PM

Temporarily occupied.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

70 members of the opposition arrested in Venezuela a couple weeks before the election.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2024, 04:04:21 PM70 members of the opposition arrested in Venezuela a couple weeks before the election.
Such freedom.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2024, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2024, 12:02:20 PMI would force us to work in base 10, therefore wasting our knowledge about how many ounces in a pound or feet in a mile or cups in a quart or inches in a foot.

Canada officially went metric in 1985, when I was 10.  I'm 49 now.

I can tell you that while we do lose lots of metric measurements (distances are in km, temperature is in Celsius) - I only know my height and weight in imperial, and my oven temperature is only in Fahrenheit.

I always have to look up how many ounces in a pound, but definitely know 12 inches to a foot.

It's a very odd system we've developed when you think about it.  We wind up using two systems, but not fully proficient in either.

You are off by a decade, we made the switch in 75, while I was in elementary school.  It was weird to one day start learning a whole new measurement system.