News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

There's an arcade a 10 minutes drive from my house. It's full of modern games. It even has a Minecraft dungeon 4 players cabinet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Yeah, there's a pretty thriving scene for folks building emulator arcade cabinets.

As for modern arcades, we have one near my work full of modern games - racers where you sit on motorcycles, 4-player Halo shooters, VR riders etc. So they're around.

Syt

1917 propaganda poster. Unsure how exactly the Metric System would shackle Uncle Sam.  :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I would force us to work in base 10, therefore wasting our knowledge about how many ounces in a pound or feet in a mile or cups in a quart or inches in a foot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2024, 12:02:20 PMI would force us to work in base 10, therefore wasting our knowledge about how many ounces in a pound or feet in a mile or cups in a quart or inches in a foot.

Canada officially went metric in 1985, when I was 10.  I'm 49 now.

I can tell you that while we do lose lots of metric measurements (distances are in km, temperature is in Celsius) - I only know my height and weight in imperial, and my oven temperature is only in Fahrenheit.

I always have to look up how many ounces in a pound, but definitely know 12 inches to a foot.

It's a very odd system we've developed when you think about it.  We wind up using two systems, but not fully proficient in either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

We went metric in the 60s and it's still mixed :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Hilariously enough I definitely think in liters now instead of gallons, pints, fluid ounces, cups, quarts, and so forth. This is entirely the work of the Coca-Cola Company for doing their bottling in liters for the last several decades.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I've noticed many American YouTubers will usually mention both metric and imperial whenever they talk about measurements these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Americans just use miles, pounds, and degrees F so often in our daily lives I just don't see those ever changing. Everything else I think can be fairly easily changed. A lot of metric is now used for many things and people forget there ever was an Imperial equivalent, especially for technical things.

Syt

Let's face it - using millimeters and centimeters is a bit more convenient than fractions of inches. Though I guess I'm biased from being indoctrinated from young age. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2024, 12:44:29 PMLet's face it - using millimeters and centimeters is a bit more convenient than fractions of inches. Though I guess I'm biased from being indoctrinated from young age. :P

Depends on the context. For most everyday things we use inches, no matter how stupid it gets with all those 3/8ths of inches. For anything that actually requires precision, we usually use millimeters and centimeters.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2024, 12:49:08 PMDepends on the context. For most everyday things we use inches, no matter how stupid it gets with all those 3/8ths of inches. For anything that actually requires precision, we usually use millimeters and centimeters.

There are still many places we use mils, our confusing decimalization of the inch. :P

Threviel

I find using parts of inches to be quite convenient when doing rough carpentry. The local saw mill can saw both inches and metric and I usually use inches.

HVC

For intermediary sizes I prefer inchs. I can visualize 120 inches better then 3048 mm (or 3.048 m) :)

Anything under 30 cm (basically a ruler) I can visualize in either measurement, and longer distances it's km.

Funny how exposure works.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Warhammer taught me to guesstimate in inches.  :nerd:

I still use mm for anything else, of course. I can eyeball how large a gap is in tenths of a millimeter. Sometimes just by looking at a welding surface.