News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Amazon Prime Day a few years ago: "I hope there's some cool computer gadgets or gaming stuff!"
Amazon Prime Day this year: "Ooh, crockpot 54% off!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

I have found that there is a limit to how many crockpots you need. I ended up with three.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on July 17, 2024, 01:38:59 AMAmazon Prime Day a few years ago: "I hope there's some cool computer gadgets or gaming stuff!"
Amazon Prime Day this year: "Ooh, crockpot 54% off!"

I feel it. I bought coconut fiber scrubbing pads.  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Now that's dedication

https://bsky.app/profile/understatesmen.bsky.social/post/3kxbneasjs42s

Quotein 2013 I saw a man get a 100,000 hour probation on the SomethingAwful forums and today I saw him come off probation and immediately pick up the same argument, quoting a reply from 2013, absolute next-level hater, I can't even imagine, my man is the Count of Monte Posters
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

:lol:

Everybody needs a hobby.

Syt

PC Gamer also had an article about this. Apparently the guy has mellowed out a lot and just made the post as a joke.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 17, 2024, 10:34:19 PMNow that's dedication

https://bsky.app/profile/understatesmen.bsky.social/post/3kxbneasjs42s

Quotein 2013 I saw a man get a 100,000 hour probation on the SomethingAwful forums and today I saw him come off probation and immediately pick up the same argument, quoting a reply from 2013, absolute next-level hater, I can't even imagine, my man is the Count of Monte Posters

I mean, at that stage it seems the only sensible thing to do.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Starting to get hyped for the Olympics :frog: :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I remember back in the day when the Olympics was hyped months in advance and saw the TV channels doing big blocks of programming around the host country.
They don't seem to have done that for a while.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah I remember it being a massive deal. I guess there are far more distractions nowadays.

Norgy

Could be that we need a more corrupt IOC again.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 18, 2024, 05:27:51 AMI remember back in the day when the Olympics was hyped months in advance and saw the TV channels doing big blocks of programming around the host country.
They don't seem to have done that for a while.
I remember a lot for 2012 obviously, but also a fair bit for Rio though timezone was a bit of an issue for watching loads.

I feel really bad for Tokyo because theirs was very weird in the middle of covid.

Less than when I was younger but that may just be because I was younger :lol: Sport's one of the few things that I think still gets huge linear TV audiences - though I think the BBC rights are worse for the Olympics now than it used to be so they don't have the whole red button for literally any sport. Not sure of the details.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2024, 05:31:01 AMYeah I remember it being a massive deal. I guess there are far more distractions nowadays.

We need the USSR again. Olympics aren't fun unless they're the Cold War writ small.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.