News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2024, 02:41:03 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 29, 2024, 01:37:54 AMI've never encountered someone who puts bread in the fridge.
Freezer though yes.

Try it. Keeps a lot better in the fridge. :)

Yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Then take it out of the fridge and wait a bit.

Syt

Tbf, I only keep whole grain bread in the fridge, but not toast bread.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

If a slightly chilled slice of bread is what ruins your day, well...

crazy canuck

Refrigeration makes bread taste stale. 

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2024, 08:40:03 AMRefrigeration makes bread taste stale. 

But leaving it out makes it actually stale unless you use it in two days or so.  People with families don't need to refrigerate, I wouldn't think.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Stale bread is great for several dishes. And as grumbler knows, since he was around in the 14th century, good as a trencher when you don't have a plate.  :hug:

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 08:51:38 AMStale bread is great for several dishes. And as grumbler knows, since he was around in the 14th century, good as a trencher when you don't have a plate.  :hug:

:huh: In the army of Cave 43, a trencher was a guy who dug trenches.  We used bark for plates (even if it was worse than our bite).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2024, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2024, 08:51:38 AMStale bread is great for several dishes. And as grumbler knows, since he was around in the 14th century, good as a trencher when you don't have a plate.  :hug:

:huh: In the army of Cave 43, a trencher was a guy who dug trenches.  We used bark for plates (even if it was worse than our bite).

:lmfao:

Ah, those days of bark. Made my first set of shoes out of bark, actually.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2024, 08:45:05 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2024, 08:40:03 AMRefrigeration makes bread taste stale. 

But leaving it out makes it actually stale unless you use it in two days or so.  People with families don't need to refrigerate, I wouldn't think.

Bread goes moldy faster if it is not refrigerated but goes stale faster if it is.

That is if the bread is not loaded with preservatives. 

Tamas

Are we talking about bread or "bread" that you can buy in bags in British supermarkets?

HVC

I keep sliced bread in the fridge and buns out. Buns get too dry too quickly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2024, 10:09:33 AMAre we talking about bread or "bread" that you can buy in bags in British supermarkets?

I think that is part of the issue - keeping real bread at a cool temperature is harmful to the bread.  Not sure if that is true of "bread".

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2024, 10:38:25 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 29, 2024, 10:09:33 AMAre we talking about bread or "bread" that you can buy in bags in British supermarkets?

I think that is part of the issue - keeping real bread at a cool temperature is harmful to the bread.  Not sure if that is true of "bread".

I agree that fresh bread shouldn't be refrigerated.  It's got no preservatives so can't be kept for more than two days or so in any case.

Bayraktar!