And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

London, 1930s.

:lol: at the last sentence
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Hefty girls :yawn:
Hefty AND good looking :perv:

The must never marry part is amazingly "saying the quiet bit out loud" too.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

It never was a quiet part.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Sorry, I may have misunderstood you. Were you referring to lesbians?

Expectations that working women should never marry, or else lose their jobs was both common and explicitly stated, hence my own comment that it never was quiet.

Syt

Stamps being sold in Germany.

Time to find pen pals in Russia? :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Start sending Pooty Poot fan mail with those.

Norgy

I think there are Hungarians who would love those stamps, too.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 30, 2024, 08:46:50 AMSorry, I may have misunderstood you. Were you referring to lesbians?

Expectations that working women should never marry, or else lose their jobs was both common and explicitly stated, hence my own comment that it never was quiet.
Yes - although I think it depended on class and type of work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 30, 2024, 08:46:50 AMSorry, I may have misunderstood you. Were you referring to lesbians?

Not sure where lesbians come in.

Yes. It used to be commonplace.
These days the prospect of a women having kids (marriage being a non issue but that being a pretty key part of it back then so comparable) is a typical source of discrimination that employers won't admit to but there's quite a lot of stories suggesting many do it anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Oexmelin

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on July 30, 2024, 11:17:46 AMNot sure where lesbians come in.

Hefty, good looking girls with brains, who'll never marry and will live in single-sex dormitories? Good for a bit of rough and tumble?

Yeah... hard to imagine where lesbians might come in in that scenario.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 30, 2024, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 30, 2024, 11:17:46 AMNot sure where lesbians come in.

Hefty, good looking girls with brains, who'll never marry and will live in single-sex dormitories? Good for a bit of rough and tumble?

Yeah... hard to imagine where lesbians might come in in that scenario.
I would possibly add that one of the founders of the Women's Police Service in the UK was Margaret Damer Dawson, an eccentric daughter of aristocrats with a special interest in the Anti-Vivisection League and "white slavery".

But during WW1 she founded her own volunteer organisation of women police, along with her sub-commandant (who she also lived with), Mary Allen - pictured here in the uniform designed by Damer Dawson:

She was appointed to  committee on women in police forces during the war - but dismissed by the chairman because he disliked lesbians. She died in 1920.

Allen, her sub-commandant, went on to be a strike breaker during the General Strike and carried on wearing her uniform for the rest of her life. To the surprise of no-one she declared herself a fascist in the 30s and was detained during the war, like the Mosleys.

Edit: I'd also add she's probably one of the more well-adjusted prominent lesbians of the inter-war era :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Fucking lesbians man. ;)

Interesting. I wonder if the current trend for gay folk on the nutty right hold her up as a hero... Then again these people are usually pretty misogynistic so probably not.
██████
██████
██████