News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Nothing can be as bad as Hungarian parents giving names to their kids using phonetic spelling of names they heard in South American soap operas and/or American movies. :bleeding:

To be fair it's quite rare, but it is a thing.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on August 02, 2024, 06:52:15 AMNothing can be as bad as Hungarian parents giving names to their kids using phonetic spelling of names they heard in South American soap operas and/or American movies. :bleeding:

To be fair it's quite rare, but it is a thing.

East Germany had quite a few "English" names - Ronny, Rocky etc. Though my favorite was always "Maik" (= Mike, and pronounced like engl. Mike :D ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Norgy

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278416524000369

Well. At least I just had a stare, not a sword. Sorry, Danes, you lost this one.

QuoteAmong the findings: weapons and interpersonal violence in Norway was much more widespread than in Denmark, and the social pyramid in Denmark was progressively steeper and more complex than in Norway. "Official" executions accounted for the preponderance of violence in Denmark, while rare in Norway. Denmark was evidently a more "civilianized" society than Norway.

Now you know why the Oslo peace accords went so badly.

Sheilbh

Can't remember the thread when we were talking about rentiers - but in response to Yi's question on bondholders, reading a book and just come across inter-war Keynes referring to them as rentiers. So I think it has commonly applied to them for a long time too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2024, 01:23:20 PMCan't remember the thread when we were talking about rentiers - but in response to Yi's question on bondholders, reading a book and just come across inter-war Keynes referring to them as rentiers. So I think it has commonly applied to them for a long time too.

My question was about the Guardian left's perspective on judgment on owning and issuing bonds.

Sheilbh

I admire your hope that the Guardian left could have a formed perspective on anything like that :lol: It's pure vibes - just wafty HG Wells/Bloomsbury leftiness.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Weird event today.
My girlfriends aunt was meant to visit but she's been having car trouble. Various lights on the dashboard out of nowhere and her car won't start.
My gfs dad goes to pick her up instead. Parks his car next to hers and hikes up the mountain where she lives to help her with her things.... When they get back to his car... It has developed exactly the same problem as hers. Same failure to start and same lights on the dash.

It's really mysterious. These two cars have nothing in common other than being parked at that particular spot. Some kind of electro magnetic hoodoo?  Or the ultimate coincidence?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Gremlins. Or I guess if they're in Switzerland, gnomes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Sounds like a weird Bermuda Triangle thing to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

I remember Harold Wilson going on about the "gnomes of Zurich"...they were the cause of the pound being devalued in 1967 or so (according to Mr Wilson). Clearly these gnomes are at it again and attacking British interests by destroying Jos's gf and in-laws ability to travel.

Tamas

QuoteVarious lights on the dashboard out of nowhere and her car won't start.

In other words the battery died.

Sheilbh

*was drained, but by what? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

My guess is that it is rodents chewing through the wiring.

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on August 03, 2024, 04:53:37 PMWeird event today.
My girlfriends aunt was meant to visit but she's been having car trouble. Various lights on the dashboard out of nowhere and her car won't start.
My gfs dad goes to pick her up instead. Parks his car next to hers and hikes up the mountain where she lives to help her with her things.... When they get back to his car... It has developed exactly the same problem as hers. Same failure to start and same lights on the dash.

It's really mysterious. These two cars have nothing in common other than being parked at that particular spot. Some kind of electro magnetic hoodoo?  Or the ultimate coincidence?

Are the parked on a particular incline? Could be a loose part or something that only causes trouble when at a particular angle.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.