News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 11, 2024, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 09, 2024, 11:06:15 PMAll fair - still think it's weird how a paper of record published a piece speculating about her sexuality. Especially one based on her art. Which contains "signals"/something she is communicating rather than something we are reading/interpreting.

Feels like a fair bit going on there which I find a bit weird. Have a bit of a theory that art kind of swings between content and form. 18th and 20th century big on form, 19th on content and that we're in a bit of a swing to content again and this all seems of a piece with that - almost certainly nonsense though :lol:

Edit: Also again just the weird parasocial thing that the NYT thought this was okay to publish blows my mind :blink:

My first job out of college was with Nextel Wireless.  At the time our chief investor was Craig McCaw (founder of McCaw Cellular, the precursor to AT&T Wireless.)  While I was there Craig and his wife divorced and that was front page news on The Wall Street Journal.  I remember thinking "You know you're a success in business when your divorce is a front page story on The Wall Street Journal."  In a similar manner, you're a success at something if your sexuality is being discussed in the New York Times.

Yes, great success.

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/27/magazine/wild-about-fur.html
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2024, 03:44:20 AMFair, but this assumes that top end pop songs have tunes and lyrics which are top-end difficult to create, which I think is some miles off from being a universal truth.

Yeah, there is that.  My response was unconsciously tilted towards thinking about music stars like Taylor Swift.  There's likely a market for mediocre ghost songwriters for mediocre singers/groups who just can't write music.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2024, 03:44:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2024, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 03:42:56 AMAs I said I am not doubting that, just mentioning the shadow writer thing because I am assuming that means you are free to claim credit for what the shadow-writer wrote, meaning what's on the credits isn't a guarantee. But I could be wrong, I have never really cared about this stuff.

I'm thinking that the whole "shadow songwriter" thing is likely an urban legend.  If a writer has the talent to write top-end lyrics or music, they are going to insist on getting songwriting credit because it gets their name out in font of others looking for songwriting talent.  If they are not good enough to demand that credit, what use are they to some songwriter like TS?  Plus, even if they get paid for their contributions, they can always come back later and demand credit, so for it if not given freely, and get the credit that way.

I could, of course, be convinced by credible evidence that such ghost songwriters actually exist.

Fair, but this assumes that top end pop songs have tunes and lyrics which are top-end difficult to create, which I think is some miles off from being a universal truth.
Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2024, 03:44:20 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2024, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 10, 2024, 03:42:56 AMAs I said I am not doubting that, just mentioning the shadow writer thing because I am assuming that means you are free to claim credit for what the shadow-writer wrote, meaning what's on the credits isn't a guarantee. But I could be wrong, I have never really cared about this stuff.

I'm thinking that the whole "shadow songwriter" thing is likely an urban legend.  If a writer has the talent to write top-end lyrics or music, they are going to insist on getting songwriting credit because it gets their name out in font of others looking for songwriting talent.  If they are not good enough to demand that credit, what use are they to some songwriter like TS?  Plus, even if they get paid for their contributions, they can always come back later and demand credit, so for it if not given freely, and get the credit that way.

I could, of course, be convinced by credible evidence that such ghost songwriters actually exist.

Fair, but this assumes that top end pop songs have tunes and lyrics which are top-end difficult to create, which I think is some miles off from being a universal truth.

Why do you think it is easy to create a hit song?

The Brain

Syt

Apropos of nothing, this showed up in my Reddit feed ... :whistle:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 11, 2024, 01:58:31 PMApropos of nothing, this showed up in my Reddit feed ... :whistle:

I met an engineer in Seattle who told me Queensryche (when they were still a local band) played at his prom.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

I saw U2 in the early 80s at a small venue that specialized in bands nobody ever heard of.  Luckily, I had a friend who was really into them and talked me into going.

One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

Two years later they came back to Vancouver and played in our football stadium to a sold out crowd.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

So are these guys just imagining these massive star-structures there because their computer program says they are there, or indeed our model for the universe is in need of a rethink?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/11/newly-discovered-cosmic-megastructure-challenges-theories-of-the-universe

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2024, 05:44:23 PMSo are these guys just imagining these massive star-structures there because their computer program says they are there, or indeed our model for the universe is in need of a rethink?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/11/newly-discovered-cosmic-megastructure-challenges-theories-of-the-universe

Quotea cosmologist at the Bahamas Advanced Study Institute & Conferences

Science is hard work.

Josephus

Sorry going back to the Taylor Swift thing .... Rush played my high school, alas it was about 10 years before I was there.  :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Legbiter

New eruption just outside of Grindavík. About 450m from the outlying houses. Town was quickly evacuated.

Started about an hour and half ago. Much smaller than the previous one but badly located.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Richard Hakluyt

A bit too close for comfort.