News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yikes.

Are those private residences in the picture?

And are the buildings immediately adjacent essentially unaffected and can be moved into as soon as the eruption subsides, or are there reasons why that's not the case?

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2024, 10:55:59 AMYikes.

Are those private residences in the picture?

Yeah these are standard homes.

Quote from: Jacob on January 15, 2024, 10:55:59 AMAnd are the buildings immediately adjacent essentially unaffected and can be moved into as soon as the eruption subsides, or are there reasons why that's not the case?

Yeah they should be fine. This eruption is thankfully rapidly winding down but it's very likely not the last one. This is the fifth eruption in less than 3 years now and every one is worse than the last for the poor people of Grindavík. These eruptive episodes can last decades as the underlying volcanism has to infill the last thousand years of accumulated continental drift on the Reykjanes peninsula. The old lava field the town is built on is about 2000 years old.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Josquius on January 15, 2024, 03:32:29 PMSo this is near you?

No I live in Reykjavík but if I take the highway I'm there in 40 minutes. Relatively speaking I'm not terribly far away and sometimes see the glow from the lava on dark nights.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Actually intrigued to see this letter - and apparently the entire article the Mirror did exploring the idea :lol:
QuoteJames Vaughan
@EquusontheBuses
Just read a 1944 letter to the Daily Mirror arguing that there should be a post-war world government run by 6 people. Gandhi, Montgomery, Chiang Kai-Shek, Einstein, a random housewife, and Stalin.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

You cannot see attachments on this board.

1: Poland and Finland say fuck stereotypes.
2: Bulgaria and Romania say "Yeah, we love some slavic and latin stereotypes"
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Bleh, I fell down the icy steps at my apartment.  The street is also covered in ice and I slid through a stop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

I saw that on a cartoon once. Hilarity ensued.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

There was no laughter, just me shouting fuck.  Also I landed on my keys hit the car alarm button.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Had a colonoscope today.  Fun stuff.  Actually, the worst part of it was (twice) gagging down the awful chemical shit that "cleared the pipes," so to speak.  A vile liquid.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on January 17, 2024, 10:29:00 AM
It's not witty if your target is not in position to return the favor, it's just abusive.  Biting wit is only funny when the recipient can bite back.