News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2022, 03:36:37 AMWednesday seems to be breaking records for Netflix. Anybody here watching it? I guess I'll have to...

I think it is alright. The first episode drags but it picks up in 2 & 3.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 03:33:46 AMI'm not sure how many other options they have. What is Harry's skill set?
:lol: Well, quite.

They have tens of millions from Harry's inheritance. However if that isn't enough I think all he can really contribute is basically the currency of royal gossip (value diminishing) or reality TV.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2022, 04:49:45 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 03:33:46 AMI'm not sure how many other options they have. What is Harry's skill set?
:lol: Well, quite.

They have tens of millions from Harry's inheritance. However if that isn't enough I think all he can really contribute is basically the currency of royal gossip (value diminishing) or reality TV.

So really they need to collect that extra paper now while their story can still raise "interest".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2022, 03:36:37 AMWednesday seems to be breaking records for Netflix. Anybody here watching it? I guess I'll have to...

Predictable plot, but enjoyable.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 03:33:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 09, 2022, 08:44:39 AMComplain about how life's unfair while sitting on their millions.

I'm not sure how many other options they have. What is Harry's skill set?

He's been in the navy, right? pleasure cruise captain? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

I saw Del Toro's Pinocchio, one of my favourite stories from childhood and must say was very disappointed with this. He deviated a lot from the original plot, going so far as to create a back story for Gepetto and setting it in Mussolini's Italy, complete with fascist spy and WWII.

In the original book, Pinocchio is also turned into a real boy by the Blue Fairy (although this was also removed from the Disney version).
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 05:02:29 AMSo really they need to collect that extra paper now while their story can still raise "interest".
Sure if the tens of millions they have isn't enough. Which, given Harry's background, it might not be for him, mad as that is.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2022, 06:59:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 05:02:29 AMSo really they need to collect that extra paper now while their story can still raise "interest".
Sure if the tens of millions they have isn't enough. Which, given Harry's background, it might not be for him, mad as that is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/20/people-on-70000-do-not-feel-rich-emily-thornberry-admits

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on December 10, 2022, 05:20:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 03:33:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 09, 2022, 08:44:39 AMComplain about how life's unfair while sitting on their millions.

I'm not sure how many other options they have. What is Harry's skill set?

He's been in the navy, right? pleasure cruise captain? :P

Helo pilot.  They can make a pretty a good living on just that. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2022, 06:59:37 AMSure if the tens of millions they have isn't enough. Which, given Harry's background, it might not be for him, mad as that is.

Do you know exactly how much the settlement was?

So far I'd say

a) she's cute.
b) Harry comes across very sincerely.
c) I'd say she overreacted to the early paparazzi.

I don't see the rationale for the "acceptable" tabloid critique of her, which if I understand correctly, is that they found her domineering and controlling of Harry.

And of course that picture of a monkey coming out of the hospital was way beyond the pale.

So if their brief is that the tabloid media treated her like shit, I'm going to take her side.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2022, 04:35:48 AMJust started up Harry and Meghan.
My wife wants us to watch this. :shutup:

I just don't care about these two at all...
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

My 11 year old already watched it twice.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2022, 08:43:44 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2022, 04:35:48 AMJust started up Harry and Meghan.

Then you know what you have to do...  ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2022, 08:35:32 AMDo you know exactly how much the settlement was?
I think Harry's said he was "cut off" and living on his inheritance from Diana - which was reported to be about a £10 million trust, plus £10 million that was held on trust until he turned 30.

QuoteI don't see the rationale for the "acceptable" tabloid critique of her, which if I understand correctly, is that they found her domineering and controlling of Harry.
It depends when I think - but chances are there never was one :lol:

I don't think there was a reasonable tabloid critique - certainly in the early days. I think some of it was clearly race and some of it I think was about her being American. I think all women marrying into the royals get some really unpleasant treatment by the press in the early days - I think it's almost to assert control and they either go along which will result in positive press later, or they fight back. I think basically they weren't interested in playing the media game - and the media/royals are like studio era Hollywood, it's very, very managed.

Part of it is also probably the British tabloid thing of tearing people down - Meghan was immensely popular at the beginning, which is the point the tabloids want negative stories to bring someone down (and then build them up again once they've suffered).

The fact they are suing most papers shouldn't be overlooked. It's difficult to overstate how petty British editors are - there are reams of coverage (sometimes highlighted by Private Eye) that are entirely motivted by personal grievances of editors or owners. Particularly if you've sued, and they have, and particularly if you've won, and they have (although I find that judgement a little troubling).

QuoteSo if their brief is that the tabloid media treated her like shit, I'm going to take her side.
Yes :lol: It is undoubtedly true.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2022, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2022, 08:43:44 AM

Then you know what you have to do...  ;)

Murder is a little extreme

:P