News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

It's going to be surprisingly good or very very VERY bad. No middle ground.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

We watched Avatar 2. I absolutely had no desire to, but obliged the wife.

Now, the so-called "story" is as exceptionally lame as I anticipated. Its on a level of a Disney movie aimed at, IDK, 12 years old.

But the technology and the pictures and scenes are truly impressive. Even the 3D worked for me even though in most movies I just hate it.

So if you can find a big cinema screen with 3D, it is worth it, just make sure to prepare yourself for a technology show-off and not a worthwhile story.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on December 18, 2022, 07:55:03 AMIt's going to be surprisingly good or very very VERY bad. No middle ground.

It's going to be one, not the other.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on December 18, 2022, 07:55:03 AMIt's going to be surprisingly good or very very VERY bad. No middle ground.
I am so hyped. It's going to be amazing (and very good - I am convinced).
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 18, 2022, 07:28:15 AMTeaser for the Barbie movie. It is truly something.  :lol:

How many in the target audience will get the reference? I mean, have seen the actual original reference, and not just parodies of it? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Still can't believe Greta Gerwig and Noah Baumbach are making a big studio Barbie movie, Hollywood has these beautiful moments of madness sometimes  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on December 18, 2022, 08:26:35 AMWe watched Avatar 2. I absolutely had no desire to, but obliged the wife.

Now, the so-called "story" is as exceptionally lame as I anticipated. Its on a level of a Disney movie aimed at, IDK, 12 years old.

But the technology and the pictures and scenes are truly impressive. Even the 3D worked for me even though in most movies I just hate it.

So if you can find a big cinema screen with 3D, it is worth it, just make sure to prepare yourself for a technology show-off and not a worthwhile story.

I do find views of avatar 1 are heavily dictated by whether you saw it in the cinema or not.
I did and remember it fondly.

When was the last 3d movie I wonder. Such a big budget one too. That seems to have been dead a while. My specs have gathered a lot of dust.

Might have to go out and see it when I have time for myself around the new year.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on December 18, 2022, 08:26:35 AMWe watched Avatar 2. I absolutely had no desire to, but obliged the wife.

So basically as the first movie. Hardly surprising. Still nice to watch 3D properly done, as in the first.
Bit more skeptical about the 48 vs 24 fps sequences, I'll see at the screening.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on December 18, 2022, 03:24:43 PM

I do find views of avatar 1 are heavily dictated by whether you saw it in the cinema or not.
I did and remember it fondly.

When was the last 3d movie I wonder. Such a big budget one too. That seems to have been dead a while. My specs have gathered a lot of dust.

Might have to go out and see it when I have time for myself around the new year.

I watched Avatar 1 at the cinema. It was shit.

mongers

'The Outfit' with Mark Rylance, set in 1950s Mob dominated Chicago.

Less of a 'Goodfellas', more like a 'murder she wrote', all be it a very superior one.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on December 18, 2022, 04:31:41 PMI watched Avatar 1 at the cinema. It was shit.

Agreed.  It was good-looking shit, but oozed contempt for the audience.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

For some reason clips of Sharon Tate in the Beverley Hillbillies have been showing up on my youtube feed.

Sophie Scholl

If I see it, I'll probably try for the 4DX 3D showing. That basically turns movies into Disney style experiences with moving seats, effects like water splashes and fog, and the like.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2022, 02:38:15 PMProdigy is even weirder. I've caught up on the show till Ep. 11. The initial episodes were a bit tough to get through, but from Ep. 8 onwards it picks up speed, and the characters gel better - and esp. the main character has (for now) completed his arc from obnoxious selfish teen rebel (which was hard to stomach) to team player and leader. The overarching story has picked up pace, and the overall mystery is good. It's still a kid's show (and is written as introduction for newcomers, so there's a fair amount of exposition about what Starfleet is, about the various techs etc.), but if you keep that in mind it's fine to watch IMO.

Anways, get to Episode 11, check the episode list ... Episode 13 next. Err, what? Episode 12 ("Let Sleeping Borg Lie") is missing. Weird. So I google for info. Which gets more confusing. Paramount published Ep. 1-13 in the German language markets for Prodigy. Then they put up Ep. 17 & 18 (without German dubbing), only to take them down again after a week. Official statement says, "Oh, sorry, dubbing isn't ready, also dubbing is a huge bottleneck, yadda yadda." However, it seems they signed a deal for Prodigy with a German broadcaster shortly before launching their streaming service that might affect what they can and can't put on their site now.  :wacko: Meanwhile they promise that they will "strive for simultaneous global releases in the long term." :rolleyes:

And I still don't know what happened to Ep. 12.

Yesterday Ep. 12 was back, but Ep. 13 was gone. And I check today and Ep. 11 and after are gone. :D

Trial ends tomorrow, though I almost want to stay subbed because this is rather fascinating to watch. :lol:

I'm caught up to Ep. 17. (One more to go.)

I'm glad I gave Prodigy another try after the first 5 episodes which were kinda hard to watch. Yes, it's "for all ages", but it does have some decent character development, a good mystery, and some interesting plot twists. I'd go so far to say that it's a fair bit better than Discovery S1 or Picard S2 so far. It brings back some of the old Star Trek optimism. Most episodes are kinda self contained but often tie into the larger plot arc of the season (and better than Disco S1, I may say). And the animation is gorgeous.

I think if you watched Star Wars Rebels and liked it, you might like this one, too (if you can get through the first 5-8 episodes). Ep. 8 is where it really takes of IMO.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.