News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, in the end it's the one that hews closest to the original formula. A terse and simple (good simple) mano-a-mano in the wilderness.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2022, 02:58:53 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 30, 2022, 07:59:41 PMTried watching the Witcher prequel. It was a mistake.

It's... not good  :lol:
At first I thought it could be a couple of angry fans on the internet, but I can't find anyone, nor any critic with any single positive thing to say about the show.  I had hopes for that one. 

Oh well.  I'm watching S2 of Stargate Universe right now.  That was much better than S1.  Found it in 4k.  That's neat. :)
I really like how contrary to SG1, and Atlantis in a lesser way, not everyone is perfect.  Everyone has flaws that they must overcome.  Or not, seemingly.  :sleep:  Having civilians, totally unprepared thrown into the mix adds a certain dimension to it too, something that Battlestar Galactica would further develop a couple of years later.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Top Gun Maverick. Switched it off after about half an hour. I'm not above nostalgia but this is a remake more than a sequel and I don't need the original remade. Given the near-universal rave reviews, especially among my generation, am I missing something?

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on January 01, 2023, 01:30:24 PMTop Gun Maverick. Switched it off after about half an hour. I'm not above nostalgia but this is a remake more than a sequel and I don't need the original remade. Given the near-universal rave reviews, especially among my generation, am I missing something?

I thought it was good mindless fun, and I don't really care much for the original. Once the mission starts it's stupidly entertaining.

The Brain

Against the Ice. Two Danes brave elements, isolation during the golden age of polar exploration. I liked it, it's better than I expected. I feared that it would just be two guys fighting the ice for the whole movie.

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. Old friends and others unite for a weekend of murder and fun. I found it entertaining. It's also very well timed, since 2022 was the year even people who never paid attention to Elon Musk realized that he's just a bullshitter.

The Menu. Foodies and others experience the obsession of Chef Voldemort. Focused fun. I liked it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Maladict on January 01, 2023, 01:30:24 PMTop Gun Maverick. Switched it off after about half an hour. I'm not above nostalgia but this is a remake more than a sequel and I don't need the original remade. Given the near-universal rave reviews, especially among my generation, am I missing something?
I liked it until the end. It got stupid and ridiculous. Maybe it fit with the 80's, but I was hoping they'd change things up.
PDH!

mongers

'The Professionals' 1966 came across it on Neflix, didn't know it hard old, old films; it's stood the test of time quite well.

Nice 'Mexican' landscape too.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I didn't realize that snow plowing was so hazardous...

QuoteJeremy Renner in 'critical but stable condition' after accident
The Hawkeye actor was plowing snow when the accident occured on Sunday

Jeremy Renner has been seriously injured in an accident while plowing snow on the weekend which left him in "critical but stable condition", a spokesperson for the actor said on Sunday.

"We can confirm Jeremy is in critical but stable condition with injuries suffered after experiencing a weather-related accident while plowing snow earlier today," a spokesperson for the Hawkeye star told the Hollywood Reporter late on Sunday night.

"His family is with him and he is receiving excellent care," they added.

Deadline reported that Renner was airlifted to hospital.

The 51-year-old actor has been nominated for two Academy Awards over his acting career, for his performances in The Hurt Locker and The Town. He has become well-known for his portrayal of the superhero Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye, in Marvel films, and for his role in the Mission Impossible film franchise.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on January 02, 2023, 07:37:21 AMI didn't realize that snow plowing was so hazardous...

QuoteJeremy Renner in 'critical but stable condition' after accident
The Hawkeye actor was plowing snow when the accident occured on Sunday

Jeremy Renner has been seriously injured in an accident while plowing snow on the weekend which left him in "critical but stable condition", a spokesperson for the actor said on Sunday.

"We can confirm Jeremy is in critical but stable condition with injuries suffered after experiencing a weather-related accident while plowing snow earlier today," a spokesperson for the Hawkeye star told the Hollywood Reporter late on Sunday night.

"His family is with him and he is receiving excellent care," they added.

Deadline reported that Renner was airlifted to hospital.

The 51-year-old actor has been nominated for two Academy Awards over his acting career, for his performances in The Hurt Locker and The Town. He has become well-known for his portrayal of the superhero Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye, in Marvel films, and for his role in the Mission Impossible film franchise.
Was he plowing at highway speeds on the highway? That'd do it.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on January 02, 2023, 07:37:21 AMI didn't realize that snow plowing was so hazardous...
He something got caught in the plower, it could have broken down on him, even though there are supposed to be safety bolts to prevent that. 

Or someone else was plowing and he received ice blocks on himself.

Or he got it by a bigger snowplower while walking/driving during a blizzard.  Or he slipped while snowplowing himself and got caught by his own machine, a piece of clothe that got stranded inside it.

I hope he does not have any permanent injuries. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Going at speed and clipping a curb with no seatbelt is enough to mess you up bad.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Yeah, a plow running over your leg would do it.

Damn.
PDH!

Syt

Trailer for Seneca (ft. John Malkovich) looks ... interesting. :D (Somewhere between David Lynch's Dune and Baz Luhrman's Rome & Juliet, maybe? :lol: )

It looks a bit like absurdist theater; I'd be up for that. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.