News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Started to watch Wednesday. Feels clunky and overwritten in places (the whole magical school deal is a bit whatever) but the main actress is great in the role and it's overall entertaining. Been told by many that the show improves as it goes on, so I'll sample a few more episodes.

Admiral Yi

I picked up again with Better Call Saul.  It was fun to recognize the actor playing the homeowner being evicted to make way for the call center as the guy with the cats in No Country for Old Men.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on December 28, 2022, 09:46:34 AMStarted to watch Wednesday. Feels clunky and overwritten in places (the whole magical school deal is a bit whatever) but the main actress is great in the role and it's overall entertaining. Been told by many that the show improves as it goes on, so I'll sample a few more episodes.

Yeah, I overall agree with your assessment and that it does improve.  The biggest failing is the seriously uneven portrayal of the school.  Sometimes they want to pitch it as a bunch of outcasts finding a home, other times they can't handle even the slightest deviation from conformity.  It felt like lazy writing to let it be whatever they needed for the story at the time.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 28, 2022, 09:46:34 AMStarted to watch Wednesday. Feels clunky and overwritten in places (the whole magical school deal is a bit whatever) but the main actress is great in the role and it's overall entertaining. Been told by many that the show improves as it goes on, so I'll sample a few more episodes.

It's not too long, you can watch it in full and not much time will need to be invested. The resolution of the main plot is a bit meh for my taste, but I liked the atmosphere and most of the characters have some personality, which for a show like this is quite a lot.

Syt

Since I needed a break from Curb Your Enthusiasm I looked around and saw that Mythic Quest Season 3 has started.

I got quite a bit into it by the end of Season 2. The characters had shown some growth, they shook up the status quo a fair bit, there was the great C.W. double episode ... and Season 3 seems hell bent on undoing much of it and going back to the same familiar territory. I'd best describe it as "more of the same," but not in a good way - season 2 had some surprises, while Season 3 is just ... eh. Even the "special" episode this time around was only "good" as opposed to great like the ones in the previous episodes. It gave some character background, but wasn't exactly groundbreaking. It feels like they've run out of ideas. Eh, only two more episodes to go, I guess.

I've started Arrested Development again. I bounced off the show, twice, but this time it seems to click. Might be that I've watched a fair amount of shows about unlikable jerks in the past two years (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, BoJack Horseman, Archer ...). Might be that I'm more familiar with some of the actors (Will Arnett in BoJack, Jessica Walter playing the exact same type in Archer, Jeffrey Tambor and Judy Greer also in Archer, Tony Hale playing the exact same type in Veep ...). Anyways, I'm 8 episodes in (further than before!) and I like it this time, though Ron Howard as narrator is still annoying me. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

So, if you only watch one more movie this year make it The Menu.
A fun little dark comedy that lampoons the rich and famous who spend thousands on a haute cuisine. It turns pretty dark, predictable at times but worth it.
Great cast too.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

So. Mad Haidi. Someone (Syt?) posted a trailer for it a while back.
Turns out it's both real and appeared on the Swiss national broadcasters list of top films to watch in 2023 :lol:

I watched Big Bug last week. Very strange French Sci fi comedy with a super colourful aesthetic. It's entertaining enough. Though not sure I get it.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Watched Glass Onion this week. Very enjoyable, with a couple of interesting twists along the way. Maybe not as brilliant as Knives Out, but a good time can be had. Plenty of interesting cameos as well.

Josquius

Alice in Borderland series 2 is out. Yay.
It's basically a Japanese version of Squid Game (predating Squid Game) but with a Sci fi slant.
First series was really good so happy to see 2.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Slumberland. Stop me if you've heard this one: young girl, living with her uncle, steps through a magic door, onto a snowy vista, where she hangs out with a satyr...  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on December 28, 2022, 06:31:55 PMSo. Mad Haidi. Someone (Syt?) posted a trailer for it a while back.
Turns out it's both real and appeared on the Swiss national broadcasters list of top films to watch in 2023 :lol:
That was me. :)
Yes, it's very real.
https://madheidi.com/en-ca
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

'My Name Is Vendetta'- an OK revenge thriller.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Tried watching the Witcher prequel. It was a mistake.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on December 30, 2022, 07:59:41 PMTried watching the Witcher prequel. It was a mistake.

It's... not good  :lol:

Threviel

Prey: Best predator movie since the 80s.