News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 12, 2022, 06:19:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2022, 03:36:37 AMWednesday seems to be breaking records for Netflix. Anybody here watching it? I guess I'll have to...

I watched it, I did a post about it when I started with it on late November, and finished it last week.

It's good to pretty good, I'd say. Production is great, and you can see Burton's influence, but not overtly so. I was not super keen on the character of Wednesday at first because of the way she came on to others, but that impression ended up getting softened a bit as the show went on. The story takes a few bizarre leaps here and there but is overall quite enjoyable, and the atmosphere is really good. I imagine it'll easily get a second season, unless it was super expensive to film or something, but it seems to have been quite successful.

It's going to finish as second most watched English language show of all time for Netflix (second only to Stranger Things), so more seasons are certainly guaranteed.

I'll give it a go. Does Burton show signs of life in this? (He directed half the episodes).

Josquius

I'm near the end of Wednesday.
It's....Meh, OK.
Has vibes of typical American teen shows, though has enough of an edge to avoid falling completely into that hole.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 12, 2022, 06:32:49 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 12, 2022, 06:19:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2022, 03:36:37 AMWednesday seems to be breaking records for Netflix. Anybody here watching it? I guess I'll have to...

I watched it, I did a post about it when I started with it on late November, and finished it last week.

It's good to pretty good, I'd say. Production is great, and you can see Burton's influence, but not overtly so. I was not super keen on the character of Wednesday at first because of the way she came on to others, but that impression ended up getting softened a bit as the show went on. The story takes a few bizarre leaps here and there but is overall quite enjoyable, and the atmosphere is really good. I imagine it'll easily get a second season, unless it was super expensive to film or something, but it seems to have been quite successful.

It's going to finish as second most watched English language show of all time for Netflix (second only to Stranger Things), so more seasons are certainly guaranteed.

I'll give it a go. Does Burton show signs of life in this? (He directed half the episodes).

What do you consider signs of life?  :P

Burton's episodes are mostly about the whole setup and atmosphere, and I'd say that he does a pretty good job at that. The whole vibe is pretty faithful to the Addams family, while at the same time modernising it a bit. In any case, at the end of the day it's a teenage high school mistery kind of show.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on December 13, 2022, 12:00:17 AMThe Abyss 4k coming by March '23

Super excited about this, it's a great movie! :)

Ah, tiens, l'Arlésienne est de retour !

Predicted so many times, I'll believe it when I see it.

viper37

It came from the horse's mouth this time. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on December 12, 2022, 06:38:06 AMI'm near the end of Wednesday.
It's....Meh, OK.
Has vibes of typical American teen shows, though has enough of an edge to avoid falling completely into that hole.
Daylight savings sucks.  You were at the end of Wednesday yesterday and I'm still in the middle of Tuesday today.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Trailer for Spider Man - Across the Spider-verse.

The Larch

Remember 30 Rock? Remember the "MILF Island" sketch?

It's becoming reality "thanks" to TLC!

Solmyr

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on December 16, 2022, 02:48:25 AMHenry Cavill will be involved with a Warhammer 40k series for Amazon: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/henry-cavill-warhammer-40000-amazon-1235283251/

Will he quit when they take a dump on the source material?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Season 9 of Curb Your Enthusiasm. At the end of S8 I thought about actually taking a break from the show; and apparently so did the creators. Season 8 finished in 2011, and Season 9 started in 2017.

I liked that they shook up the dynamic a bit by having Larry get divorced (probably playing on the trope of jerk husbands in sitcoms having unreasonably loyal/understanding wives). Torn on the addition of Leon. He has some good bits, but he seems incredibly one note (maybe more so than some of the other characters, like Susie).

Overall, the show seems to have gone from comedic situations and absurdities arising mostly organically and then have the characters (mostly Larry) reacting unreasonably and getting his come-uppance to the characters going out of their way to manufacture and create absurd situations and plots, making this basically "just another sitcome". Bit sad, really. (Though I did appreciate the Salman Rushdie cameo in the last episode I watched.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Yay.  I refuse to pay for a Warhammer streaming service. Glad Amazon is jumping on it. Hope it is cool.

PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2022, 02:51:08 AMWill he quit when they take a dump on the source material?
That was my favourite theory - that Cavill was being blacklisted from fantasy and sci-fi because he's a massive lore nerd who's constantly arguing with the director :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!