Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: HVC on December 10, 2022, 09:52:45 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 10, 2022, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2022, 08:43:44 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2022, 04:35:48 AMJust started up Harry and Meghan.
My wife wants us to watch this. :shutup:

I just don't care about these two at all...

Then you know what you have to do...  ;)

Murder is a little extreme

:P

:o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You put it on and wait for her to fall asleep.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2022, 08:35:32 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2022, 06:59:37 AMSure if the tens of millions they have isn't enough. Which, given Harry's background, it might not be for him, mad as that is.

Do you know exactly how much the settlement was?

So far I'd say

a) she's cute.
b) Harry comes across very sincerely.
c) I'd say she overreacted to the early paparazzi.

I don't see the rationale for the "acceptable" tabloid critique of her, which if I understand correctly, is that they found her domineering and controlling of Harry.

And of course that picture of a monkey coming out of the hospital was way beyond the pale.

So if their brief is that the tabloid media treated her like shit, I'm going to take her side.

I don't really follow the story and won't be watching, but the monkey thing was a tweet by a BBC radio presenter/personality who was sacked immediately and I don't think works now (he was retirement age any way).he insist he just thought it was funny and not intended to be racist.

Tabloids are horrible but I can't stand Meghan's Paltrow style "my truth" nonsense either.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2022, 03:33:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 09, 2022, 08:44:39 AMComplain about how life's unfair while sitting on their millions.

I'm not sure how many other options they have. What is Harry's skill set?

Cosplay?

Wednesday was ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on December 10, 2022, 11:10:44 AMI can't stand Meghan's Paltrow style "my truth" nonsense either.

Please elaborate.

mongers

Got half-way through 'The Northman' and had to stop, not that I thought it a bad film, but the cold and bad weather depicted, enhanced the already cold weather I'm experiencing indoors. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2022, 08:35:32 AMAnd of course that picture of a monkey coming out of the hospital was way beyond the pale.

So if their brief is that the tabloid media treated her like shit, I'm going to take her side.
It's that, and the family told them to suck it up, apparently.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

That the tabloids suck is known. They're obviously villains. I'm really not sure where the value would be in a hit piece on them it's so widely known and accepted that they're vultures.
The question is whether Megan is also a bit crap. She does give me kind of plastic vibes as far as I care (not a lot)
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on December 11, 2022, 05:10:05 PMThat the tabloids suck is known. They're obviously villains. I'm really not sure where the value would be in a hit piece on them it's so widely known and accepted that they're vultures.
The question is whether Megan is also a bit crap. She does give me kind of plastic vibes as far as I care (not a lot)
She may not be used to that level of vitriol from the medias and needed support that she never got.
She may have believed in a happily ever after Disney tale of princess too.
She might be the evil control freak turning away the valliant prince from his royal duty, too.

But, I think it's mostly that she's American and from modest origins, a capital sin for many in the British high society.  They can't stand their prince marrying a commoner like that.  Wether it comes from the Royal family itself or the parasites it attracts is irrelevant.  It happens, and they allow it to happen.

Which is one more reason for Canada to abolish monarchy.  We can't be complicit in such harassment.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Forgotten Sci-Fi Movies From the Early 1990s

QuoteWe may remember Independence Day, The Matrix, The Phantom Menace. But what about these forgotten 90s sci-fi films? And are any worth seeing?

Interesting list.
QuoteWing Commander (1999)

Attempting to take the hit videogames and craft them into a Star Wars-type crowd-pleaser, Wing Commander was roundly upstaged by 1999's genre big-hitters – among them a certain Star Wars prequel. Everything about Wing Commander is weirdly ill-conceived, from its cast (a dull Freddie Prinze Jr, a maniacal Matthew Lillard) to some spectacularly awful miniature effects and alien suits. More strangely still, the videogames actually had a better roster of actors than the movie. Christopher Walken, Malcolm McDowell, John Hurt and Clive Owen had appeared in the games, while Wing Commander: the motion picture had to make do with a very uncomfortable-looking David Warner and David Suchet.

Is it worth seeing? No.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2022, 05:30:30 PM
Quote from: Josquius on December 11, 2022, 05:10:05 PMThat the tabloids suck is known. They're obviously villains. I'm really not sure where the value would be in a hit piece on them it's so widely known and accepted that they're vultures.
She may not be used to that level of vitriol from the medias and needed support that she never got.
She might be the evil control freak turning away the valliant prince from his royal duty, too.

But, I think it's mostly that she's American and from modest origins, a capital sin for many in the British high society.  They can't stand their prince marrying a commoner like that.  Wether it comes from the Royal family itself or the parasites it attracts is irrelevant.  It happens, and they allow it to happen.

Which is one more reason for Canada to abolish monarchy.  We can't be complicit in such harassment.

We could pick them has our King and Queen instead. A much better choice.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 11, 2022, 07:43:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2022, 05:30:30 PM

We could pick them has our King and Queen instead. A much better choice.
Good idea.  I'll let you handle the negotiations with Paul St-Pierre Plamondon for the new pledge. :P

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2022, 07:39:04 PM
Quote from: Gups on December 10, 2022, 11:10:44 AMI can't stand Meghan's Paltrow style "my truth" nonsense either.

Please elaborate.

Meghan claiming she grew up as an only child and when challenged that she grew up with two hal-siblings saying it was her subjective experience that was relevant not the actual reality

https://www.insider.com/meghan-markle-defends-only-child-statement-samantha-lawsuit-denial-2022-7

If you can be bothered to look them up (I haven't and haven't checked these), I read in a column recently that she claimed to have witnessed the LA riots when she didn't; claimed that she was bullied for being one of only a few black kids at school when the school was 70% non-white; claimed to have been married privately three days before the official wedding. There was something about a Proctor & Gamble advertising campaign when she was a kid and a letter from Hillary Clinton.

Sheilbh

I'd add the privacy case against the Mail where Meghan had to apologise to the court for misleading them about the fact that she was cooperating with (friendly) American journalists and had provided briefing notes to her biographer who was writing Finding Freedom at the time. The court decided it wasn't relevant to the issues but did note her "unfortunate lapse of memory".

That case caused a bit of worry among media lawyers in the UK more generally - even in places like the BBC or broadsheets who don't cover the royals. We have a lot of very claimant friendly (if you have the money) routes to sue the media - our libel laws are still very claimant friendly and so are the recent line of cases on the right to privacy. One of the caveats - it's not a defence, but it's helpful - was from when John Terry tried to get an injunction. If you're a claimant you have to be upfront about what you're doing with other bits of the media so the court can basically decide if you're there to protect your privacy (which they're fairly open to) or are you using privacy as a front to protect your reputation (which they're not).

There's been a bit of disquiet that the claim against the Mail succeeded despite Meghan cooperating with other friendly journalists/biographers revealing bits of her life. It's a little concerning because Schillings, Carter Ruck etc will build on this to try and erode away the principle that you have to be genuinely trying to protect your privacy following this.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2022, 03:36:37 AMWednesday seems to be breaking records for Netflix. Anybody here watching it? I guess I'll have to...

I watched it, I did a post about it when I started with it on late November, and finished it last week.

It's good to pretty good, I'd say. Production is great, and you can see Burton's influence, but not overtly so. I was not super keen on the character of Wednesday at first because of the way she came on to others, but that impression ended up getting softened a bit as the show went on. The story takes a few bizarre leaps here and there but is overall quite enjoyable, and the atmosphere is really good. I imagine it'll easily get a second season, unless it was super expensive to film or something, but it seems to have been quite successful.