News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas special is a thing that exists.
I don't know what to make of it.
Along with Love and Thunder its hard to know where the joke ends and where they're being earnestly shit.
I enjoyed it but...yeah.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I liked it.  It had Kevin Bacon.

The Year Without a Santa Claus.

Santa decides to take the year off... because kids are not really into rampant consumerism anymore?
PDH!

Syt

Saw #BoycottWB trending. Seems some internet people are rather agitated about Henry Cavill not being in the next Superman movie, and James Gunn taking over to run the DC movie franchise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

It's sad about Henry Cavill not being in the next Superman movie.

But it's cool that James Gunn is taking over the DC movie franchise that was going nowhere.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

They couldn't get Tim or Ben?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

The Traitors on the BBC is great. And a little bit trashy reality TV :ph34r:

Edit: And another reality format that originated in the Netherlands and will now go everywhere I imagine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Last episode now - best reality TV show I've seen in years :lol:

Very, very enjoyable.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 21, 2022, 08:14:05 AMThe Traitors on the BBC is great. And a little bit trashy reality TV :ph34r:

Edit: And another reality format that originated in the Netherlands and will now go everywhere I imagine.

I learnt about this the other week, sounds like an amped up version of Werewolf. Can't wait for the inevitable even trashier Spanish version with Z-level celebrities (or maybe I can  :P )

Sheilbh

I think it basically is Werewolf plus challenges and some high camp design decisions :lol:

It's been a huge hit here - and the last episode was brilliant. I think the key is no-one knew it would be a hit. So it reminded me of the early years of Big Brother when you had relatively normal people. It was a fairly diverse cast in terms age, size, ability which I think was part of why it was so good. It wasn't just a collection of scupted 20-something influencers making content on the side.

No doubt in a year or two because everyone knows the format is popular, it'll be looking for gimmicks and filled with wannabes or z-listers as you say :(

Also the Dutch are really good at developing exportable TV formats: Big Brother, Who Wants to be a Millionaire (I think?), The Traitors.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Glass Onion - not quite a satisfying ending but a very good film. Interesting the detective is far more the main character vs knives out.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

The Big Country (Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives)

Westerns like "Once Upon a Time in the West" or "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" deservedly get a lot of praise, but I think The Big Country deserves a strong standing as a sleeper of a Western great, and easily one of my personal favorites.  Perhaps not so much for drama and cinematography that the aforementioned have...but for its heart, its writing, and its subtle message on human ethics and principle.  Gregory Peck is typically fantastic in those kind of roles, and it makes sense that he had been chosen to portray so many of them.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on December 24, 2022, 06:43:28 PMGlass Onion - not quite a satisfying ending but a very good film. Interesting the detective is far more the main character vs knives out.

Found it to be just okay. Entertaining enough for what it was so it gets a pass.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on December 24, 2022, 06:43:28 PMGlass Onion - not quite a satisfying ending but a very good film. Interesting the detective is far more the main character vs knives out.

Yeah, I liked Knives Out much more but Glass Onion was still good. Passable fun and cute. Funny to see these actors chewing on the scenery so much  :D

But Knives Out is a movie I watch every year. I'll probably never watch Glass Onion again.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

'The Duke' - excellent, with Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Certainly not the best, but by far the nerdiest of Jackie Chan's fight scenes. :nerd:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.