News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2022, 08:47:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2022, 02:51:08 AMWill he quit when they take a dump on the source material?
That was my favourite theory - that Cavill was being blacklisted from fantasy and sci-fi because he's a massive lore nerd who's constantly arguing with the director :lol:
Bodes well for the new superman. :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Man of Steel is the best Superman movie not from 1978.

It's also arguably the best modern superhero movie, Avengers included.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 16, 2022, 09:05:45 AMMan of Steel is the best Superman movie not from 1978.

Scorching take. Myself, I don't think I'd put Man of Steel in a Top 25, and I don't rate Marvel movies much.

For me the crown belongs to one of Logan/Dark Knight/Spider-man 2 - honorable mention to "Into the Spiderverse" which is an exhilarating film, too.

Solmyr

I assume with the way GW guards its source material, Amazon will have to be pretty faithful if they want to keep the rights. Also, Cavill is exec producer on the series, so presumably will have some creative control.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on December 11, 2022, 05:32:50 PMForgotten Sci-Fi Movies From the Early 1990s
Interesting list.
QuoteSuper Marios Bros. as a sci-fi movie?  :hmm:
It's legendary, but not a good way.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 16, 2022, 07:48:17 AMYay.  I refuse to pay for a Warhammer streaming service.

Then you aren't a true fan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 16, 2022, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 16, 2022, 09:05:45 AMMan of Steel is the best Superman movie not from 1978.

Scorching take. Myself, I don't think I'd put Man of Steel in a Top 25, and I don't rate Marvel movies much.

For me the crown belongs to one of Logan/Dark Knight/Spider-man 2 - honorable mention to "Into the Spiderverse" which is an exhilarating film, too.

Yeah I am a Superman (the character) fan, and I really didn't care for Man of Steel.

Best modern superhero movies... (I guess Superman / Superman 2 don't count?)

in no particular order,

Logan
LEGO Batman
Thor: Ragnarok
Deadpool
Spider-Man 2

I guess I'm a little more favourable to somewhat comedic superhero movies as I look at my list.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

I would go:

The Incredibles
Into the Spiderverse
Spiderman 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Iron Man
Logan

Syt

Paramount+ is now available over here, so I've signed up for the trial.

Navigation is a bit shit on the site, and the search function is pretty bad. Also not much info about the content. Like any. If you click on a movie, it immediately takes you to playback of said movie, and it doesn't list genre, cast, director - nothing. I'm not expecting the full content from the IMDB page, but e.g. if you launch the movie Amistad - takes you straight to the movie and starts playing and this is the entire, unabridged information about the movie on the site (again, you only get to see this when you launch the movie).

QuoteAmistad

2hr 34min
AMISTAD is about a 1839 mutiny onboard a slave ship that is traveling towards the Northeast Coast of America. Much of the story involves a court-room drama about the slave who led the revolt.

I will say they have some nice classic movies, something I find sorely lacking on e.g. Netflix (unless you're into mid-20th century Egyptian films, or Swedish silent movies).

Overall, content is not huge, but ... ok? Maybe less filler?

Main attraction (for me) is Star Trek, though, and that's where it gets weird. They have all of Trek, with a few notable exceptions:
- Lower Decks and Picard (both on Amazon - guess they will be moved over when the license runs out)
- The Animated Series (is on Netflix over here, so might be an exclusivity deal, but Netflix also has TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT - all of which are on Paramount+, so who knows?)

Disco is complete, but with Prodigy and Strange New Worlds it gets weird. For SNW they release one episode per week, and are currently on ... Ep. 4.

Prodigy is even weirder. I've caught up on the show till Ep. 11. The initial episodes were a bit tough to get through, but from Ep. 8 onwards it picks up speed, and the characters gel better - and esp. the main character has (for now) completed his arc from obnoxious selfish teen rebel (which was hard to stomach) to team player and leader. The overarching story has picked up pace, and the overall mystery is good. It's still a kid's show (and is written as introduction for newcomers, so there's a fair amount of exposition about what Starfleet is, about the various techs etc.), but if you keep that in mind it's fine to watch IMO.

Anways, get to Episode 11, check the episode list ... Episode 13 next. Err, what? Episode 12 ("Let Sleeping Borg Lie") is missing. Weird. So I google for info. Which gets more confusing. Paramount published Ep. 1-13 in the German language markets for Prodigy. Then they put up Ep. 17 & 18 (without German dubbing), only to take them down again after a week. Official statement says, "Oh, sorry, dubbing isn't ready, also dubbing is a huge bottleneck, yadda yadda." However, it seems they signed a deal for Prodigy with a German broadcaster shortly before launching their streaming service that might affect what they can and can't put on their site now.  :wacko: Meanwhile they promise that they will "strive for simultaneous global releases in the long term." :rolleyes:

And I still don't know what happened to Ep. 12.

Have I mentioned that the streams in browser don't even seem to be 1080p?  :wacko:

Eh, sorry, Paramount, not good enough. Guess I will have to catch up via alternatives. :pirate
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Sophie Scholl

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse
The first 3/4 of Wonder Woman
Shang-Chi
Justice League: The New Frontier (Highly recommend! It's on HBO MAX)
Harley Quinn and The Birds of Prey
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Those are some favorites of the more modern era for me. I'm a big comic book fan, but I'm super far behind on Marvel movies, X movies, and have yet to see Black Adam and a lot of the more recent animated DC movies. I think I prefer animation for superhero movies ultimately. They seem better able to convey the medium of comics and keep the life, feel, and concepts for me. I really kind of hate the idea that animation is solely for kids and that for superheroes to be taken seriously they need to be in live action. Especially when that "action" is just a bunch of soulless green screen films and shows. Or that plus the awfulness of using muted palettes in everything turning the bright shining hope of super heroes into grey and black misery and hopelessness. *cough* Snyderverse *cough*
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

I had forgotten about Logan in my haste for a hot take. Incredible movie. Goddamn made me cry at the end.

I will amend my list and say Logan is top while Dark Knight and Man of Steel share 2nd.

Spiderverse was great but it's animated so I don't consider it a real movie

frunk

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 16, 2022, 08:27:30 PMSpiderverse was great but it's animated so I don't consider it a real movie

:cry:

FunkMonk

Quote from: frunk on December 16, 2022, 08:46:22 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 16, 2022, 08:27:30 PMSpiderverse was great but it's animated so I don't consider it a real movie

:cry:

I need some place to spit hot takes now that Twitter is a dumpster fire of Elon cultists  :P

The Larch

Teaser for the Barbie movie. It is truly something.  :lol: