News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2022, 04:09:02 AMHaving no familiarity with the source, I think I gave it two episodes before turning it off. It felt like they thought they were making a significant statement on racism but in a very simplistic, heavy handed way. It felt like the white characters (as targets for racism) were met to stand in as something that a white audience could empathize with to understand that racism is bad. In this day and age, white people can only understand racism if they see a world in which they are the targets? I think we've made great strides with racism because people of all backgrounds know that it is wrong without needing to imagine it happening to people that share their skin tone.

Racism is bad yeah. I think most people can get that.
But one thing I think the show does well is showing how it works and it's not just "you're white so you suck,."
The little niggling stereotypes like white women are wild and whites drink too much, the way the fundamental world is built for black people and white people have to fit in (hairstyles, plasters, etc...).
I do think those little things are quite effective for where the UK is with racism now - not so much outright death to the darkies but lots of unconscious bias and innocentish but ignorant assumptions.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: garbon on December 04, 2022, 06:16:16 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2022, 04:23:18 AMwell shoot dude, that's the most cheerful thing you've ever said about race relations.

We aren't in the 50s. ;)

Well, I'll be in a few years.

Oh, you meant 1950s, not personal age. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Absolutely love Peter Greenaway's slightly unexpected list :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Oh my, l'année dernière à Marienbad...

Well, it has to be seen but that's my less favorite.

celedhring

Picking Ivan the Terrible among all of Eisenstein's films is an "interesting" choice too  :hmm:

frunk

My strongest reaction was to Gladiator.  I'm not sure that's even a top 5 Ridley Scott film.

Sheilbh

Same - and that Scott's the only director on there. For me a very unexpected take from the guy behind The Cook, the Thief, His Wife And Her Lover :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on December 03, 2022, 09:03:58 AMAll the Top 20 is pretty traditional for snotty film buff standards  :P  The most hipsterish thing is probably Meshes of the Afternoon, and maybe placing Jeanne Dielman #1 - but the list has had a bit of a musical chairs thing going on, all of the films in the top 4 have been #1 at some point.

Yes. But voters don't rank their list. Ranking is based on total number of inclusions among voters' selection.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Watching The Winchesters.  It's a Supernatural spinoff, set before the mainshow, focusing on Sam & Dean's parents.

It's not that good.  Anyone going into this expecting more Supernatural would be disapointed.

First off, everything feels wrong.  It's set in the late 60s, mostly in the midwestern US States.  No issues with black people and mixed neighbourhoods, flamboyant openly gay character, female police officers, women seem the equal of men for all intent and purpose... Could well be set in 2022, if it wasn't for the clothing, cars and lack of cellphones.

Then the story itself... There's some deep underlying mystery going on, but it's still mostly a monster of the week story.  I could still live with that.  But there's like, not much happening in an episode.  It's more like a teenage show than anything else.  I might keep watching it 'til the end of the season, but it lacks the drive, the weird humor brought by the original Winchester brothers.  The lead actress is very good, but the guy playing John Winchester definately lacks any charisma and suffers from accute wooden acting.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2022, 03:45:09 PMSo, umm, I don't know if the movie is going to be any good, but you owe it to yourself to check out the trailer for Cocaine Bear.  The most honest movie title since Snakes on a Plane.

Just bananas.

The real story about cocaine bear is just sad.

Bear finds cocaine bail dropped from drug smuggling plane. Bear binges on eating cocaine. Bear dies on the spot.

Not such an exciting movie ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Watching 1899. I'm enjoying it so far.

One note: on Netflix, they default to a dubbed version. You have to change it to the original version, with subtitles (the actors speak 8 or so different languages). If you watched the dubbed version, literally nothing makes sense, because a major plot point involved who can understand who!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on December 06, 2022, 08:27:24 PMWatching 1899. I'm enjoying it so far.

One note: on Netflix, they default to a dubbed version. You have to change it to the original version, with subtitles (the actors speak 8 or so different languages). If you watched the dubbed version, literally nothing makes sense, because a major plot point involved who can understand who!

I have my Netflix defaulted to subtitles. Dubbing is always horrible.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Their dubbing in French isn't too bad, especially to their english ones.

What really sucks is how dubbing & subtitles never match.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2022, 06:47:50 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 06, 2022, 08:27:24 PMWatching 1899. I'm enjoying it so far.

I have my Netflix defaulted to subtitles. Dubbing is always horrible.

I think mine is defaulted to that (I always have the subs on) but 1899 started dubbed...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 07, 2022, 07:01:55 AMTheir dubbing in French isn't too bad, especially to their english ones.

What really sucks is how dubbing & subtitles never match.

Dubbing and subtitles seldom match, not just for Netflix, unless it's "dubtitles", to be avoided.
Dubbing has heavier constraints, and for a far worse result.