News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2023, 10:55:21 AMWell, it's not like you take PEDs and sprout muscles all over. You still have to put in the work.

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, absent evidence, though.

But taking the drugs allows people to put on muscle a lot faster than they otherwise could. The training programs that both those actors undertook are not indicative of get big quick schemes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2023, 10:55:21 AMWell, it's not like you take PEDs and sprout muscles all over. You still have to put in the work.

Fair. But I look at the bodies of superhero stars now v 90s action stars or even 80s bodybuilder/action stars and something's different (and I think probably quite unhealthy for men/boys) :hmm:

Edit: Steroids or not - I think this is the (illustrated) point:
QuoteMichael Hobbes
@RottenInDenmark
No idea if he did roids or not but Jackman is kind of a perfect case study of what's happened to male beauty standards over the last 20 years.

Comes up a lot with some friends I have who are into rugby. They played as kids and they still play at an amateur level and have a more "traditional" rugby look talking about young players coming up who are very worried about their bodies, despite being very fit. They really want and are anxious about the carved abs etc and it's weird with my friends who are now a little older slightly worrying about these younger guys.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2023, 01:36:47 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 10, 2023, 07:35:07 AMThey are normally buff guys though, their start point was Kumail's end point. Stands to reason to some extent this would boost them.
They could also have been pulling the old body builder tricks of dehydrating themselves et al?

Though I will say I doubt The Rock has never done steroids what with the wrestling background.

It seems quite the exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence sort of claim that they'd be engaging in something so visible and illegal on a big budget film.

The Rock has admitted to using steroids in his early career.  He denies using them now.

Joe Rogan is in a pretty, glass house and should be careful about accusing others of using steroids and other drugs.

Thing is Rogan is open about his steroid use. He uses self justifying excuses as he does for all his vices, but he is open.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 11, 2023, 11:02:30 AM

Fair. But I look at the bodies of superhero stars now v 90s action stars or even 80s bodybuilder/action stars and something's different (and I think probably quite unhealthy for men/boys) :hmm:

Too fit?

HVC

The rock is 50. Steroids doesn't just make you grow muscles faster it also allows you to have muscles. Compare female to male body builders. At that age the testosterone you produce drops precipitously.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 11:22:46 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 10, 2023, 07:35:07 AMThey are normally buff guys though, their start point was Kumail's end point. Stands to reason to some extent this would boost them.
They could also have been pulling the old body builder tricks of dehydrating themselves et al?

Though I will say I doubt The Rock has never done steroids what with the wrestling background.

It seems quite the exceptional claims demand exceptional evidence sort of claim that they'd be engaging in something so visible and illegal on a big budget film.

The Rock has admitted to using steroids in his early career.  He denies using them now.

Joe Rogan is in a pretty, glass house and should be careful about accusing others of using steroids and other drugs.

Thing is Rogan is open about his steroid use. He uses self justifying excuses as he does for all his vices, but he is open.

He claims to take testosterone replacement therapy to supplement 'naturally low' levels.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 11:22:46 AM

He claims to take testosterone replacement therapy to supplement 'naturally low' levels.

Exactly. Self justifying. He could tell everyone that he takes a ancient Mexican herb to up his testosterone so he can stay muscled. Or go the actor route of saying orange juice and a good nights rest along with exorcise is all you need :P

*edit* that's not to say I'm pro Rogan. His stand ups are ok, and I used to listen to his show in the beginning, but he's a wacko who often causes harm.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 11, 2023, 11:02:30 AM

Edit: Steroids or not - I think this is the (illustrated) point:
QuoteMichael Hobbes
@RottenInDenmark
No idea if he did roids or not but Jackman is kind of a perfect case study of what's happened to male beauty standards over the last 20 years.

Comes up a lot with some friends I have who are into rugby. They played as kids and they still play at an amateur level and have a more "traditional" rugby look talking about young players coming up who are very worried about their bodies, despite being very fit. They really want and are anxious about the carved abs etc and it's weird with my friends who are now a little older slightly worrying about these younger guys.
This confuses me. My memory is that it was 20 plus years ago that standards were for being unrealistically ripped and these days there's more of an acceptance for the dad bod thing.

In the 80s the bodybuilder look was the thing. This is unnatural and unobtainable for regular people living a normal life. These days I do think the optimum is far less bloated.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

In the above pics Jackman isn't any more muscular than before - he's just super-cut with an absurdly low body fat percentage.

As I understand it it's not necessarily THAT hard to obtain that body shape - you just need to more-or-less crash diet right before shooting in order to get that muscle definition.  It's also in no way sustainable over a long-term.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Also, makeup and photoshopping/CGI.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 03:57:44 PMIn the above pics Jackman isn't any more muscular than before - he's just super-cut with an absurdly low body fat percentage.

As I understand it it's not necessarily THAT hard to obtain that body shape - you just need to more-or-less crash diet right before shooting in order to get that muscle definition.  It's also in no way sustainable over a long-term.
Yes. That's what I find a little worrying though - I don't really care about steroids or not. But I am worried about growing issues with male body image and I think it's partly (though not entirely) because of what's become the norm in big blockbuster films.

I hoped we'd move past the point of actresses having to do crash diets before shooting to have an unsustainable body in movies. Sadly it just seems we've started making it a concern for young men as well.

QuoteThis confuses me. My memory is that it was 20 plus years ago that standards were for being unrealistically ripped and these days there's more of an acceptance for the dad bod thing.
Who are you think of as the dad bod example?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

It was horrible. Dad bodies everywhere.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 11:25:55 AM

The rock is 50. Steroids doesn't just make you grow muscles faster it also allows you to have muscles. Compare female to male body builders. At that age the testosterone you produce drops precipitously.

:huh:

I was a serious gym rat/lifter from my late teens to mid 20s.  I took a couple of decades off  :D and then started back at the gym in a serious way in my 50s.  I have grown plenty of muscle eating good old-fashioned protein.  And in some ways I am actually stronger than I was in my 20s.   

HVC

And are you built like the rock?

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2023, 04:42:32 PMAnd are you built like the rock?

No.  I also don't spend as many hours a day as he does working out. 

But that is beside the point. The claim being made is that after 50 one does not put on muscle.  That is just false.