And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 12:10:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 12:06:41 PM
As for the partisan thing, do you really think that no one noticed when Bush pulled this stuff? Was it trotted out with words like "impeachment!" when he did? Again I say, it's not a partisan thing, it's a politician thing. To keep harping on it as if it's news is just... worthless.

Well yes there was a resolution put forth to impeach him. Also per wiki, fun Nancy made a series of odd statements.

:huh:

There was a resolution put forth to impeach Bush for misquoting himself? :hmm:

There were some pretty stupid resolutions trotted out to impeach him - like the Global Warming thing for example - but I don't remember any for him misquoting himself.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I thought we were talking about lying. Also you're the one who mentioned Bush who "pulled this stuff."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 12:25:01 PM
I thought we were talking about lying. Also you're the one who mentioned Bush who "pulled this stuff."

I meant the twisting of words to make himself sound better (though admittedly, that didn't happen often with him.... it usually made him sound worse).

I don't mind that Obama is getting called on it. Hell, they all should. But he's not just getting called on it. He's being harped on as if it's this huge, horrible deal. I don't see the fuss.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 12:38:09 PM
I meant the twisting of words to make himself sound better (though admittedly, that didn't happen often with him.... it usually made him sound worse).

His administration was pretty good with that actually.  They would be releasing stats and statements that were all technically true (we have had positive economic growth for X number of quaters!) but was all designed to be misleading.  So not really that much different than lying in my book.  Rick Perry is also great at that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 12:39:46 PM
His administration was pretty good with that actually.  They would be releasing stats and statements that were all technically true (we have had positive economic growth for X number of quaters!) but was all designed to be misleading.  So not really that much different than lying in my book.  Rick Perry is also great at that.

It's how they get elected. *shrugs* My issues with Bush were never about how he talked around things, but rather the things that he did or didn't do.

Admiral Yi

I don't mind that Obama is getting called on it. Hell, they all should.

This was not your first response when Teh Forehead posted a fact-checking article calling him on it.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 12:51:04 PM
I don't mind that Obama is getting called on it. Hell, they all should.

This was not your first response when Teh Forehead posted a fact-checking article calling him on it.

Um, because he's been called out for months on this, and this new article doesn't shed any new light?

At this point it's not calling him out. It's harassment.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 12:52:55 PM
Um, because he's been called out for months on this, and this new article doesn't shed any new light?

At this point it's not calling him out. It's harassment.

Really?  It was news to me.  I hadn't read anything else that pointed out the falsity of his debate statement.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 11:58:19 AM
:hmm: Well, I suppose you could argue that this doesn't directly change anything.  I suppose you, Meri, could hold the principled position that a lie that doesn't result in loss of life, property, or injury doesn't really matter.  Or I suppose you, Meri, could hold the partisan position that it doesn't ever matter when my guy lies.

I'd wonder why we are beating this horse to death if it doesn't change anything.

Still a lie.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Again, I ask. How does this directly change anything?

:hmm: Well, I suppose you could argue that this doesn't directly change anything. 
[/quote]

IMO the credibility of the Prez.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2013, 12:12:54 PM
I am just saying, do not be a Tim here.  You shouldn't refuse to provide commentary on an article you introduced to the conversation :P

Gotta keep my powder dry.  With work getting busier I don't have time to fight many pitched battles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 01:13:28 PM

:hmm: Well, I suppose you could argue that this doesn't directly change anything. 

[/quote]

Of course, you've already made up your mind on his credibility so...:whistle:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 14, 2013, 01:35:11 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 01:13:28 PM

Of course, you've already made up your mind on his credibility so...:whistle:
[/quote]

I voted for him. But a duck is just a duck sometimes.

CountDeMoney

Quit fucking up your quotes, y'all.