Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 02:53:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 02:44:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 02:37:23 PM
Four pinocchios is the maximum, actually.  It's 4 out of 4.

Whoa.  Harsh toke.  I think it's more like 1 out 4.

I'd go along those lines too. Shall we dub him the waffler. I dont get his waffling either. Unless for some odd reason he was trying to protect Susan Rice.

He's a lawyer.  They're all lawyers.

Valmy

How could that be illegal?  I mean surely the IRS profiles, is that entirely illegal or only certain sorts?

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

QuoteAt the daily news briefing, Mr. Carney manifested the difficult spot in which the White House finds itself, dodging and weaving under tough questioning over the leak investigation, the I.R.S. case and Benghazi.

I would imagine so.
:lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 03:03:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 02:53:28 PM

I'd go along those lines too. Shall we dub him the waffler. I dont get his waffling either. Unless for some odd reason he was trying to protect Susan Rice.

Ah, I had forgotten that. Waffling comes natural then.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 02:40:42 PM
Exactly! That's what I've been saying all along. Every politician does it! But somehow, for some reason, when Obama does it, it's this ugly nefarious thing. It's insanity!

Is your position that every politician except Obama gets a pass when they present "nuanced versions of the truth?"

I thought that I'd been pretty clear. Every politician does it. Every politician should be called on it when it happens. But... harping on it like this is ridiculous.

To me, it's the difference between telling a child no for telling a small lie and spanking him for it. It's an inappropriate response to the crime.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2013, 03:03:10 PM

More importantly, he's a career politician. One doesn't get to have that job without getting really good at equivocation.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2013, 03:05:28 PM
QuoteAt the daily news briefing, Mr. Carney manifested the difficult spot in which the White House finds itself, dodging and weaving under tough questioning over the leak investigation, the I.R.S. case and Benghazi.

I would imagine so.
:lol:

I watched Carney's briefing today.  Even on good days, he's bad.
They really need to get better press guys.  I realize you've got to stick to the script, but the last several ones over several administrations have totally sucked from an extemporaneous speaking aspect when it comes to Q&A time.

derspiess

Take it up with Mr. Kessler.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 14, 2013, 03:07:05 PM
I thought that I'd been pretty clear. Every politician does it. Every politician should be called on it when it happens. But... harping on it like this is ridiculous.

To me, it's the difference between telling a child no for telling a small lie and spanking him for it. It's an inappropriate response to the crime.

A couple thoughts.

Without this relentless, unfair, inappropriate harping you never would have moved your position from "nothing to see" to "it's a small lie and Obama should be spanked for it."

The Washington Post and the US Senate are not a Borg collective.  The Washington Post wrote (AFAIK) one fact-checking story about his claim in the debate.  That's hardly an inappropriate response.

It's an entirely different matter whether the Senate investigation is inappropriate or not, but surely you realize they are not only investigating the pressing national security issue of whether Obama's statement during the debate is true or not.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 02:35:19 PM
Now we wrestle with the semantic issue of what's a lie and what's not.  The Wash Post dude gave it 4 Pinnochios (I assume out of 10).  That sounds about right to me.  Obama was asked for clarification on several occaisions and waffled.  He was asked a yes or no question and chose not t answer yes or no. It's a little odd to me that he would waffle on it, I don't really see the harm in calling it a terrorist act, I don't understand Obama's motivation to waffle, but there it is.  Then after waffling 6 or 7 times he says in a debate he says he called it a terrorist act from the get go.

How many Pinnochios do you think that rates?  Zero?
I'm not defending the waffling; I don't get why he would do that either. However if we believe the article derspeiss linked he called it an act of terror 3 times in the 2 days following the attack.

So yea, not a lie.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on May 14, 2013, 03:37:40 PM
However if we believe the article derspeiss linked he called it an act of terror 3 times in the 2 days following the attack.

Not by reading.  He repeated the Rose Garden formula. 

"Mr. President, was the attack in Benghazi a terrorist act?"

"Those who commit terrorist acts should know we will hunt them down and bring them to justice."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 03:43:14 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 14, 2013, 03:37:40 PM
However if we believe the article derspeiss linked he called it an act of terror 3 times in the 2 days following the attack.

"Those who commit terrorist acts should know we will hunt them down and bring them to justice."

He said that?  IMPEACH THE BASTARD!!111

We have shitloads of problems with this country and all sorts of garbage the Executive branch does that are outrageous and this is the unconsequential nonsense we waste our time hand wringing about?  God...I...just do not know what to say sometimes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 03:43:14 PM

That's waffling, but it's also calling it a terrorist attack, unless you completely ignore context.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn