News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:14:08 PM
Edit: Incidentally I'd compare this with the PP's response after the Madrid bombing - that was a scandal. This? Not so much.

:hmm: Actually I thought of that comparison too, and thought it fit very well.  What makes that a scandal and this not?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:14:08 PM
This is the scandal? For all the talk of consulates that should've been shut down or security warnings that were ignored, the real scandal is that the White House 'played down talk of terrorism for several days'?

And "talking points" were revised.  Because, you know, incidents involving multiple parties with overlapping responsibilities never have too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to generating public information.

derspiess

Geraldo has apparently signed on to the "running guns to the Syrians" theory on Benghazi :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2013, 07:20:17 PM:hmm: Actually I thought of that comparison too, and thought it fit very well.  What makes that a scandal and this not?
They blamed ETA. The Interior Minister publicly blamed ETA. The Spanish intelligence services thought it was probably Islamist but were instructed by the government to deny suspicions of extremist Islamists and confirm that at the time ETA were the only suspects. Spanish embassies were instructed to hold the line, presumably even in the face of offers of help from other governments who, rightly, suspected Islamists. State TV that night I believe played a two hour documentary on ETA and Aznar called numerous newspaper editors and journalists to support the government's version.

Of course the popular version here was that the Spanish were just cowards who wanted out of Iraq.

QuoteGeraldo has apparently signed on to the "running guns to the Syrians" theory on Benghazi
I imagine the CIA had more than enough to do in Benghazi without worrying about Syria.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I love the AP stuff. I'd like to see some journalists disappear too.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:33:14 PM
Of course the popular version here was that the Spanish were just cowards who wanted out of Iraq.

They were warned by Al Qaeda to get out of Iraq or else, they ignored it, Al Qaeda struck and promised not to strike again if Spain got out of Iraq, Spain did Al Qaeda's bidding.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 06:54:52 PM
Pretty much all politicians are narcissists to some degree. Obama just happens to have a heavier dose of it.  Sorry it hurts you so much to hear that.

He does?  Can you prove this?  Do you know that he mentions himself more then say his predecessor, or does just seeing his face and hearing his name sicken you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 14, 2013, 07:35:47 PM
Yeah, I really struggle to care about journalists.

QuoteHe does?  Can you prove this?  Do you know that he mentions himself more then say his predecessor, or does just seeing his face and hearing his name sicken you?
I think W was pretty low on narcissism for a politician. I think he believed his own press for a while which was a problem.

But I don't think Obama's terribly high - just average. I think Bill was far more narcissistic.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:41:18 PM
But I don't think Obama's terribly high - just average. I think Bill was far more narcissistic.

I think Clinton and Obama may be roughly on the same level; Bill was definitely more skilled at hiding it.  Then again, Twitter didn't exist during the Clinton presidency so who knows if he would've been able to avoid it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2013, 08:05:33 PM

:hmm:

The lemmings don't like to have to think when they jump to their deaths, or want to know the reasons why.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 08:03:53 PMI think Clinton and Obama may be roughly on the same level; Bill was definitely more skilled at hiding it.  Then again, Twitter didn't exist during the Clinton presidency so who knows if he would've been able to avoid it.
I don't get the narcissism with Obama. I think he's an average politician on that front.

QuoteThe lemmings don't like to have to think when they jump to their deaths, or want to know the reasons why.
:lol: I hardly think that's a fair description of me :P

Edit: Incidentally, this is what I mean. This is not a scoop in a scandal:
http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/14/cnn-exclusive-white-house-email-contradicts-benghazi-leaks/
'Context here, too, is important.' Because the story ain't :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 07:02:31 PM

I think the IRS is.

You know what would be nice? A good bipartisan pimp slapping of the IRS.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 14, 2013, 08:18:19 PM
I don't get the narcissism with Obama. I think he's an average politician on that front.

He always tries to make things more about himself than anyone else, even when he's supposedly honoring another person.  I remember at Inouye's funeral, he just sat there & talked about himself most of the time.  On the 57th anniversary of Rosa Parks's act of defiance, he posts a pic on Twitter of him sitting on that bus.  He honored Neil Armstrong by posting a pic of himself looking up at the stars at night.  He just does crap like that all the time.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2013, 07:27:11 PM
Geraldo has apparently signed on to the "running guns to the Syrians" theory on Benghazi :lol:

I dont know what to say.  :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".