News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American Linguistic Divisions

Started by Jacob, June 05, 2013, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
The "carmel" pronunciation of the word "caramel" has always annoyed the piss out of me. My mom's family were repeat offenders. Always sounded lazy and provincial to me.

:yes: Especially since I lived in Carmel, NJ until a few years ago.  Carmel != caramel.
Experience bij!

Josquius

What I find odd about all these is that with some words it is the south that has the more British pronounciation whilst on others it is the north. Not much consistency.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2013, 12:30:06 AM
What I find odd about all these is that with some words it is the south that has the more British pronounciation whilst on others it is the north. Not much consistency.
It's a hodge-podge since the American Civil War.  If you look, Southern New Jersey tends to be a pocket of Southern influence- after the ACW, there were a ton of transplants from Kentucky to New Jersey for some reason.
Experience bij!

Pedrito

Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 09:13:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2013, 09:09:03 AM
Guinea is considered rude?

Is it some sort of slur towards West Africans? :unsure:

'Guinea?  I am from The Gambia you bastard!!11'

It's a rude term for Italians.

Uh, no  :huh: Never heard it as a slur. For American Italians, maybe.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

merithyn

Quote from: Pedrito on June 10, 2013, 07:15:27 AM
Uh, no  :huh: Never heard it as a slur. For American Italians, maybe.

L.

Since the term is essentially saying that Italians aren't white, I suppose it's up to you to decide if it's a slur for you or not. It most definitely was for American Italians at the turn of the century when so many immigrated, and for that reason, continues to be one.

By the way, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that people aren't using it to be rude to you. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 09:06:23 AM
Where I grew up, grinders were also known as guinea grinders, and were hot Italian sausage sandwiches with red sauce, topped with cheese.

:lol:  That's awesome. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I don't care how many dago wop guinea greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 10, 2013, 11:06:10 AM
I don't care how many dago wop guinea greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

:bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.