And we're back!

Main Menu

American Linguistic Divisions

Started by Jacob, June 05, 2013, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 05, 2013, 06:58:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
The "carmel" pronunciation of the word "caramel" has always annoyed the piss out of me. My mom's family were repeat offenders. Always sounded lazy and provincial to me.

You'll live.

YOU'RE ONE OF THEM, AREN'T YOU
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I was born in Caramel, California.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 08:11:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 05, 2013, 06:58:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
The "carmel" pronunciation of the word "caramel" has always annoyed the piss out of me. My mom's family were repeat offenders. Always sounded lazy and provincial to me.

You'll live.

YOU'RE ONE OF THEM, AREN'T YOU

Yep. I do it to annoy people.

I also ask for Moxie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on June 05, 2013, 07:49:40 PM
No.  They call them that in Rhode Island, or more accurately "grinduhs".  It's "sub" in Boston.  When I went there for college I got roundly mocked the first time I said I wanted a "hoagie".

Da fuck is a gawdamn hoagie, kid?

I've definitely ordered grinders in Boston.  I think in Faneuil Hall.

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on June 05, 2013, 04:19:54 PM
For those of you who are interested in the US or who like maps: http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

I was shocked by the Sneakers-Tennis shoes.
I was taught to say Tennis shoes in Israel, but I learnt to say sneakers when I got to the States.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2013, 08:21:49 PM
:hmm: I have zero recollection of them being called that.  I know what a grinder is (I know it as a hot sub sandwich), but I literally cannot remember one place up there that used the term on its menu.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 05, 2013, 09:02:04 PM
:hmm: I have zero recollection of them being called that.  I know what a grinder is (I know it as a hot sub sandwich), but I literally cannot remember one place up there that used the term on its menu.

I don't know if you ever went there, but I believe Lake Williams Pizza called them that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually quick google search shows that they most often appear in New England at pizza places.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Where I grew up, grinders were also known as guinea grinders, and were hot Italian sausage sandwiches with red sauce, topped with cheese. It wasn't until I visited my mom's family in Rhode Island when I was 16 that I found out that a) "guinea" was considered rude; and b) grinders were also a kind of sub.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Guinea is considered rude?

Is it some sort of slur towards West Africans? :unsure:

'Guinea?  I am from The Gambia you bastard!!11'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2013, 09:09:03 AM
Guinea is considered rude?

Is it some sort of slur towards West Africans? :unsure:

'Guinea?  I am from The Gambia you bastard!!11'

It's a rude term for Italians.

Edit:

Here's a link to a recipe for a Guinea Grinder, which is apparently an Iowa thing. http://amandascookin.com/2011/07/guinea-grinder-iowa-state-fair-food.html

And a link to the Urban Dictionary explaining why it's bad.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=guinea

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 09:13:34 AM

Huh.  Go figure.  Like implying Sicilians are descended from n*****?

Edit: well sure enough. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2013, 09:15:37 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 09:13:34 AM

Huh.  Go figure.  Like implying Sicilians are descended from n*****?

Yes, in a way. It was implying that Italians weren't white.

The Larch

Quote from: PDH on June 05, 2013, 08:12:52 PM
I was born in Caramel, California.

Nice city. And it had Clint Eastwood as major.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on June 07, 2013, 09:06:23 AM

Where I grew up, grinders were also known as guinea grinders, and were hot Italian sausage sandwiches with red sauce, topped with cheese. It wasn't until I visited my mom's family in Rhode Island when I was 16 that I found out that a) "guinea" was considered rude; and b) grinders were also a kind of sub.

Where I grew up, grinders were something made by Black & Decker or Craftsman, not a restaurant.