News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

So, um...Where's our Ambassador to Syria right now anyway? Is he hanging out in Damascus, or has he decided to play it safe for a while in Amman?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:06:00 PM
Wasn't there something floating around showing that there had been something like 17 attacks on US embassies in the past 10 years?

Bombs get set off next to US embassies all the time.  That's why we build them like the Maginot Line.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2013, 06:07:40 PM
So, um...Where's our Ambassador to Syria right now anyway? Is he hanging out in Damascus, or has he decided to play it safe for a while in Amman?

Here:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/us-ambassador-makes-secret-crossing-into-syria-to-briefly-meet-with-rebels/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 05:44:13 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 05:37:08 PM
So, where we at with this IRS thing. I read they uncovered more targeting. Not just teabagger targeting.

So it's turned out to be equitable.  Our democracy is safe once more.

Not exactly, CountDeClueless.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 06:10:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:06:00 PM
Wasn't there something floating around showing that there had been something like 17 attacks on US embassies in the past 10 years?

Bombs get set off next to US embassies all the time.  That's why we build them like the Maginot Line.

Except that we lost another ambassador a while ago, didn't we? This is the second one to die in the past ten years. Was there a big to-do about the last one? I don't remember.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:20:49 PM
Except that we lost another ambassador a while ago, didn't we? This is the second one to die in the past ten years. Was there a big to-do about the last one? I don't remember.

To an embassy bombing?  Don't remember that.

Jacob

Marco Rubio calls for the IRS commissioner to resign over this scandal! :angry:

There's only one problem: there's no IRS commissioner  :lmfao:

Perhaps this is related to the slow confirmation process of Obama nominees?

Source: http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/05/13/marco_rubio_irs_commissioner_resignation.html

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:20:49 PM

To an embassy bombing?  Don't remember that.

Nope. No ambassadors died, though a number of other people did. My mistake. There were, however, seven attacks from 2002 through 2008:

Quote2002: U.S. Consulate In Karachi, Pakistan, Attacked; 10 Killed, 51 Injured. From a June 15, 2002, Chicago Tribune article:

Police cordoned off a large area around the U.S. Consulate late Friday and began combing through the carnage and debris for clues after a car explosion killed at least 10 people, injured 51 others and left Pakistan's largest city bleeding from yet another terrorist atrocity.

No Americans were among the dead, and only six of the injured were inside the consulate compound at the time of the blast Friday morning. One Pakistani police officer on guard outside the building was among the dead, but many of those killed were pedestrians or motorists in the area at the time of the explosion.

The U.S. Embassy in Islamabad reported that five Pakistani consular employees and a Marine guard were slightly wounded by flying debris.

Suspicion for the attack immediately fell on Islamic militants known to be active in Karachi. [Chicago Tribune, 6/15/02, via Nexis]

2004: U.S. Embassy Bombed In Uzbekistan. From a July 31, 2004, Los Angeles Times article:

Suicide bombers on Friday struck the U.S. and Israeli embassies in Uzbekistan, killing two local guards and injuring at least nine others in the second wave of attacks this year against a key U.S. ally during the war in Afghanistan.

The prosecutor general's office also was hit in the coordinated afternoon attacks in the capital city of Tashkent. It sustained more damage than either of the embassies, where guards prevented bombers from entering.

The attacks came as 15 Muslim militants linked to the Al Qaeda terrorist network went on trial in a series of bombings and other assaults in March that killed 47 people.

The explosions Friday caused relatively little physical damage but rattled a country in which the U.S. has maintained an air base crucial to the battle against Islamic militants in neighboring Afghanistan. [Los Angeles Times, 7/31/04, via Nexis]

2004: Gunmen Stormed U.S. Consulate In Saudi Arabia. From a December 6, 2004, New York Times article:

A group of attackers stormed the American Consulate in the Saudi Arabian city of Jidda today, using explosives at the gates to breach the outer wall and enter the compound, the Saudi Interior Ministry said in a statement. At least eight people were killed in the incident, in which guards and Saudi security forces confronted the group, according to the ministry and news agencies.

Three of the attackers were killed. Five non-American employees were killed, an American embassy spokesman, Carol Kalin, told Reuters. She declined to provide the nationality of those killed, but said they were members of the consulate staff.

Reuters reported that Saudi security officials said four of their men also died in the incident, which would bring the death toll to 12. [The New York Times, 12/6/04]

2006: Armed Men Attacked U.S. Embassy In Syria. From a September 13, 2006, Washington Post article:

Four armed men attacked the U.S. Embassy on Tuesday, killing one Syrian security guard and wounding several people in what authorities said was an attempt by Islamic guerrillas to storm the diplomatic compound.

Just after 10 a.m., gunmen yelling " Allahu akbar " -- "God is great" -- opened fire on the Syrian security officers who guard the outside of the embassy in Damascus's Rawda district, witnesses said. The attackers threw grenades at the compound, according to witnesses, and shot at the guards with assault rifles during the 15- to 20-minute clash, which left three of the gunmen dead and the fourth reportedly wounded. [The Washington Post, 9/13/06]

2007: Grenade Launched Into U.S. Embassy In Athens. From The New York Times:

An antitank grenade was fired into the heavily fortified American Embassy here just before dawn today. The building was empty, but the attack underscored deep anti-American sentiment here and revived fears of a new round of homegrown terror.

Greek officials said they doubted the attack was the work of foreign or Islamic terrorists, but rather that of regrouped extreme leftists aiming at a specific, symbolic target: a huge American seal, of a double-headed eagle against a blue background, affixed to the front of the boxy, modern embassy near downtown. [The New York Times, 1/12/07]

2008: Rioters Set Fire To U.S. Embassy In Serbia. From The New York Times:

Demonstrators attacked the U.S. Embassy here and set part of it ablaze Thursday as tens of thousands of angry Serbs took to the streets of Belgrade to protest Kosovo's declaration of independence.

Witnesses said that at least 300 rioters broke into the embassy and torched some of its rooms. One protester was able to rip the American flag from the facade of the building. An estimated 1,000 demonstrators cheered as the vandals, some wearing masks to conceal their faces, jumped onto the building's balcony waving a Serbian flag and chanting "Serbia, Serbia!" the witnesses said. A convoy of police officers firing tear gas was able to disperse the crowd. [The New York Times, 2/21/08]

2008: Ten People Killed In Bombings At U.S. Embassy In Yemen. From The New York Times:

Militants disguised as soldiers detonated two car bombs outside the United States Embassy compound in Sana, Yemen, on Wednesday morning, killing 16 people, including 6 of the attackers, Yemeni officials said.

No American officials or embassy employees were killed or wounded, embassy officials said. Six of the dead were Yemeni guards at the compound entrance, and the other four killed were civilians waiting to be allowed in.

It was the deadliest and most ambitious attack in years in Yemen, a poor south Arabian country of 23 million people where militants aligned with Al Qaeda have carried out a number of recent bombings. [The New York Times, 9/17/08]
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 06:19:57 PM
Not exactly, CountDeClueless.

I'm not the one confusing additional scrutiny to determine whether applications for tax exempt status under the framework of a relatively new law qualify as "targeting".

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on May 13, 2013, 06:27:30 PM
Marco Rubio calls for the IRS commissioner to resign over this scandal! :angry:

There's only one problem: there's no IRS commissioner  :lmfao:

Perhaps this is related to the slow confirmation process of Obama nominees?

Source: http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/05/13/marco_rubio_irs_commissioner_resignation.html

Well he's on point as usual.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 05:52:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 05:38:27 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 05:10:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2013, 04:55:02 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 04:41:30 PM

Not "dicking around". You have misquoted me at least once on purpose. Because, I know you're not that dumb, so who's playing games?

I did?  Cite.

QuoteYou know, when you disprove statesmen made by other people, it's a good idea to make sure they said them first.  I'd love to see the quote where Obama or Clinton says "Libya wasnt a cluster fuck at the time".

Misquote

QuoteLibya wasnt a cluster fuck at the time.-False

There were no known elements of AQ operating in Libya.-False

There was no recent prior attacks on US posts in Libya.-False

Heightened security equaled +2 guys.-True (Hurrra for Hillary)

The British ambassador to Libya didnt survive an assassination attempt in Benghazi on June 10.-False

The British Foreign Office didnt withdrew all consular staff from Benghazi in late June, because there was no threat.-False

There were Marines there to protect the US Diplomatic Mission in Libya on 9/11/12.-False.

QuoteI assumed

That's your fault not mine. "Blah blah" or
QuoteBlah blah

Would mean I quoted a statement from them.

Every one of those statements were on the situation in Libya that led up to the incident.

QuoteThe "Hurra for Hillary" statement is probably what made me think you were attributing these statements to Hillary and Obama.

That's your error again. Hillary or BO never stated that. Nor did I put it in quotations

So, we have a misquote, an assumption, and a comprehension error on your part.

Raz Hat Trick of three errors.

No, you see I have to put things in quotation marks when I quote you. I am disappointed that you have mistaken grammar for some kind of plot to misquote you.  I didn't know where you got it your statements.  I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't just pulling bullshit stawmen out of your ass.  I'm sorry I thought that highly of you.  I don't even know what the fuck "Every one of those statements were on the situation in Libya that led up to the incident." is suppose to mean.  Since I'm no longer allowed to assume you actually mean something by what you say, I'll take it at face value and understand it to be meaningless nonsense since it doesn't make any sense.

Conclusion:  You are dishonest and childish.  I'm not going to waste anymore time on you.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Good, because you're fucking up the board with your mega-quote posts.

derspiess

Raz just called someone childish? :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 06:59:28 PM
Raz just called someone childish? :lol:

I did!  Now ain't that sad?  So childish that even I take offense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

QuoteI didn't know where you got it your statements.

I told you where. 

QuoteI gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't just pulling bullshit stawmen out of your ass.
How was it a BS strawman? I made a statement and provided an answer for you.

QuoteI'm sorry I thought that highly of you. 

Your fault again. That makes four.

QuoteI don't even know what the fuck "Every one of those statements were on the situation in Libya that led up to the incident." is suppose to mean. 

Just that. Bolded it for you too. Need me to recap?

QuoteSince I'm no longer allowed to assume you actually mean something by what you say,

You misquote and assumed not me.

QuoteI'll take it at face value and understand it to be meaningless nonsense since it doesn't make any sense.

Your prerogative, most certainly. But, I gave you the answers.

QuoteConclusion:  You are dishonest and childish. 

Personal Attack is the last attempt by the desperate.

QuoteI'm not going to waste anymore time on you.
See you in the next thread
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".