News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Partiers harassed by IRS?

Started by Sheilbh, May 11, 2013, 07:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 05:37:08 PM
So, where we at with this IRS thing. I read they uncovered more targeting. Not just teabagger targeting.
Who were they targeting now?  People who posted anti-tax manifestos online?  At any rate, fuck 'em.  People need to stop cheating on their taxes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2013, 07:13:12 PM
So, where we at with this IRS thing. I read they uncovered more targeting. Not just teabagger targeting.
Who were they targeting now?  People who posted anti-tax manifestos online?  At any rate, fuck 'em.  People need to stop cheating on their taxes.

Yeah, even if they're not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS is a tax-exempt 501(c)(4) "social welfare" organization.  Spent $70M on political campaign ads for the 2012 election.

And yet, it's the IRS that gets the grief for scrutinizing similar groups trying to get in on the action.  Funny, that.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 07:16:55 PM

Yeah, even if they're not.

That's why we need to investigate. :contract:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

FWIW
Quote(Newser) – The IRS scandal goes beyond the Tea Party: Documents show that over the past two years while evaluating applications for tax-exempt status, officials also zeroed in on groups that criticized the government or educated Americans about the Constitution or the Bill of Rights; as well as groups that were interested in taxes, government spending, or government debt; limiting or expanding the government; improving America; or "social economic reform."

The documents show how the Cincinnati office frequently redefined the types of groups that should be targeted for increased scrutiny, even after division chief Lois Lerner objected in June 2011, the Washington Post reports. In March 2012, then-IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman testified before Congress that the IRS was not singling out conservative groups, the Wall Street Journal reports. It wasn't until May 2012 that a neutral policy was adopted, with the IRS agreeing to target any group that was significantly concerned with political campaigns. The documents don't make it clear who the decision-maker was, Reuters reports.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 06:10:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:06:00 PM
Wasn't there something floating around showing that there had been something like 17 attacks on US embassies in the past 10 years?

Bombs get set off next to US embassies all the time.  That's why we build them like the Maginot Line.
The Consulate in Istanbul is massive, on top of a hill, has three layers of security, and is protected by massive Turks with Iraq and Afghanistan experience.  I actually talked to a Circassian guy who worked there for about 15 minutes.  It's a weird, weird place. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Now let me get this straight, The IRS backed Al-Qaeda in North Africa, but Ron Paul found out about it, so they had to whack the Ambassador, to stop the NRA finding out that South poverty action was running guns to support the Al-Assad regime in Syria ?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
I actually talked to a Circassian guy who worked there for about 15 minutes.

What kind of severance package did he get?

YUK YUK YUK

mongers

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 06:10:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 13, 2013, 06:06:00 PM
Wasn't there something floating around showing that there had been something like 17 attacks on US embassies in the past 10 years?

Bombs get set off next to US embassies all the time.  That's why we build them like the Maginot Line.
The Consulate in Istanbul is massive, on top of a hill, has three layers of security, and is protected by massive Turks with Iraq and Afghanistan experience.  I actually talked to a Circassian guy who worked there for about 15 minutes.  It's a weird, weird place.

It's a pretty weird place that only employs people for 15 minutes at a time, but hey ho, that's outsourcing to the private sector for you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 07:17:55 PM
Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS is a tax-exempt 501(c)(4) "social welfare" organization.  Spent $70M on political campaign ads for the 2012 election.

And yet, it's the IRS that gets the grief for scrutinizing similar groups trying to get in on the action.  Funny, that.
Maybe you guys need to fix that loophole, although I suppose that would have to involve Congress.  And the only thing Congress is interested in is nonsense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2013, 02:33:25 PM
Raz, I think the answer to your question is you don't put diplomatic staff in a position where they will have to fend off an attack by 150 armed men.

According to Raz that's their job.
I'm skipping most of this thread because it exploded today. But it is their job and I think most foreign service staff would accept that there's risk, in fact I think that's why many of them go for the job. The US needs diplomatic representation where it has interests and needs diplomats willing to be posted to places like post-war Tripoli, or, back in the day, Tehran. It's a public service and there's risk for them.

It's worth remembering though that Benghazi was mostly a CIA base (why the State Department apparently changed public references from a 'consulate' to 'diplomatic post') - of the 30 staff rescued only 7 were from State and I certainly think spies have to accept risk as do the diplomats who normally provide them cover. It's part of the job. And it's also why the State Department deserves more money :contract:

I would add that personally I think it'd be a scandal if the White House or Secretary of State knew about the individual risk assessments of one diplomatic post in the Middle East, or indeed any of them. It would make Carter look like a model of hands-off management.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on May 13, 2013, 07:38:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 07:17:55 PM

Maybe you guys need to fix that loophole, although I suppose that would have to involve Congress.  And the only thing Congress is interested in is nonsense.

Maybe, but that would have robbed us of Rove's epicness on election night. Fair trade-off IMO
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2013, 06:59:28 PM
Raz just called someone childish? :lol:

Yea, he threw the tantrum and calls me childish.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 13, 2013, 07:44:30 PM
Maybe, but that would have robbed us of Rove's epicness on election night. Fair trade-off IMO

Especially with those loooong shots of Megyn Kelly's looong legs. 

She's a partisan hack and a vapid talking head, but I'd pound that so hard she'd be screaming for socialized medicine.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall