2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 04:25:26 PM

DMV also issues non-driving ID cards.

Wasn't aware of that. However, just checked the requirements to get one in NY, and you need a SSN card. The requirements to get an SSN are... yup, some kind of ID card.

So really, it seems to me that getting some kind of State ID when you don't have any can be a bit of a quagmire. That's why I think that's legitimate to be careful with voter ID laws, even though they might make a lot of sense on the surface.

Ideally, there should be a non-onerous way to get a valid ID.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 04:31:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2016, 04:14:28 PM
So is the Tuesday night debate worth staying up for, as it'll be 1.30 am-3 am over here?

I think it's going to be a very important piece of political theater, but if I knew there was going to be a rerun I might skip the live broadcast.

Hmm, maybe I'll try and stay up to see it, as re-runs here of US political events is patchy and odd (heavily edited in an not good way).

What's more our Channel 4 is making a thing about having it live, which suggest to me they've got some arrangement with a US carrier that might make it exclusive and so our News channels might not be able to broadcast it live.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 04:35:40 PM
Ideally, there should be a non-onerous way to get a valid ID.

It seems pretty certain that some state governments are actively working against that ideal to suppress undesirable voters.

dps

Wasn't aware of that. However, just checked the requirements to get one in NY, and you need a SSN card. The requirements to get an SSN are... yup, some kind of ID card.

That can't be right.  You have to get your kid a SSN to claim an exemption for them on your federal income tax return.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on September 23, 2016, 05:21:58 PM

That can't be right.  You have to get your kid a SSN to claim an exemption for them on your federal income tax return.

School IDs work: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

dps

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 05:28:17 PM

I'm not talking about school-age children, though.  I'm talking about newborns.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on September 23, 2016, 05:45:51 PM

There's a separate tab for that and you don't need "photo id" for them, just stuff like hospital records, church records, daycare, etc... besides the birth certificate.

I love when they say this:

QuoteYour child: While you can use a birth certificate to prove age or citizenship, you cannot use it as proof of identity. Social Security needs evidence that shows the child continues to exist beyond the date of birth.

Yank administration really loves to be difficult.  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 05:53:54 PM
Quote from: dps on September 23, 2016, 05:45:51 PM

There's a separate tab for that and you don't need "photo id" for them, just stuff like hospital records, church records, daycare, etc... besides the birth certificate.

I love when they say this:

QuoteYour child: While you can use a birth certificate to prove age or citizenship, you cannot use it as proof of identity. Social Security needs evidence that shows the child continues to exist beyond the date of birth.

Yank administration really loves to be difficult.  :hmm:

The point, though, is that everybody get their kids a SSN so they can take the income tax exemption.  As a practical matter, every person born in the US has a SSN unless their parents lived entirely outside the legal economy.

celedhring

Poor people don't file tax returns.

I do find funny that it's more difficult to obtain an SSN than a Spanish ID card (in the burden of paperwork you must provide) yet the SSN isn't even a valid ID. It's just another brick in the process of getting an ID. Really, I would just stick a photo on it and call it a day.

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2016, 10:58:48 AM
:lol:  Damn Timmy makes it so hard for me to not vote Trump.

Dude nobody is gonna beg for you not to do it, and we all know you will anyways, so quit your will I won't I. It's a free country and nobody cares.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zoupa

I tire of the antics, and of the  :D . It's not funny.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 05:51:33 PM
Saw my first ever real live Trump ad on CNN:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/20/trump-releases-new-campaign-ad-movement/

Yeah, saw that as well.  It looks like one of those employee orientation videos when you first get hired to by a company.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017