News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

No, the moderator shouldn't be a fact checker;  but he shouldn't lob toss pillows at one candidate while throwing spilt seam fastballs at the other candidate's head.
Unfortunately, the bars have already been set accordingly.

Still, there comes a point when even the most outrageous, bald faced falsehood--"we should establish a court system within the military"--needs to be at least acknowledged.  Stats and policy proclamations are one thing, simple basic civics facts are another.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2016, 03:04:11 PM
I agree with Donald on this one.  That's not what the moderator is there for.

Seems to me that maintaining some basic integrity to the debates is what they are for.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

One thing a moderator should do, though, is try and push for an actual answer to a question.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Here's an example.

Moderator:  Your critics have denounced you for failing to release your tax returns.

Trump:  Those people are absolute liars.  I have released my tax returns and every newspaper in America has praised my charitable giving and my incredible wealth.

END.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 01:18:07 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
Kathy Miller sounds delightful.  :lol:

And now she's fired. :(

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/297234-trump-county-official-resigns-after-racism-comments

QuoteTrump official resigns after racism comments

A county chairwoman of Donald Trump's campaign in Ohio resigned on Thursday following comments suggesting President Obama is to blame for racism.

Trump's Ohio state director, Bob Paduchik, said in a statement that county chairmen are "volunteers" and "not spokespeople for the campaign."

He said he accepted the resignation of Kathy Miller, who has been organizing Trump's campaign in Mahoning County, following her "inappropriate comments."

Miller also released a statement apologizing for her "inappropriate" comments and reiterating that she was not speaking on behalf of the campaign.

Miller's remarks to The Guardian quickly gained national attention Thursday, coming as the GOP presidential nominee has in recent weeks tried to court African-American voters.

:( :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

The moderator's job to ensure that candidates answer questions.  Careful non-answers is one way a candidate my fail to answer questions, brazen lying is another.  Their job is not to merely read out questions and point out when candidates run out of time answers or not answering them.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2016, 04:14:56 PM
No, the moderator shouldn't be a fact checker;  but he shouldn't lob toss pillows at one candidate while throwing spilt seam fastballs at the other candidate's head.

Still, there comes a point when even the most outrageous, bald faced falsehood--"we should establish a court system within the military"--needs to be at least acknowledged.  Stats and policy proclamations are one thing, simple basic civics facts are another.

That's not an outrageous falsehood...it's an outrageous, ignorance-based proposal for a redundancy.  :P

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 01:21:01 PM
I like that Trump is supposedly courting African Americans while also calling for police to use stop and frisk measures. :hmm:

Are you saying that criminals make up so much of the black vote you can't be tough on the former without discouraging the latter?

alfred russel

The Lincoln Douglas debates didn't have a moderator. I think that would be a cool way to have a debate. Put the candidates behind two podiums, turn on the cameras and let them roll for an hour. They pick the topics and determine the flow.

Trump proposed something like that, and unfortunately he is probably the first candidate in my lifetime that lacks the maturity to make the idea feasible.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 22, 2016, 11:10:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2016, 01:21:01 PM
I like that Trump is supposedly courting African Americans while also calling for police to use stop and frisk measures. :hmm:

Are you saying that criminals make up so much of the black vote you can't be tough on the former without discouraging the latter?

Nope.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Seedy should moderate the presidential debates,  he has plenty of moderating experience.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2016, 06:50:27 AM
Seedy should moderate the presidential debates,  he has plenty of moderating experience.

Trump would get banned within the first 30 seconds. :yes:

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2016, 04:14:56 PM

The problem is the bar has been set so low for Trump that if he manages to not bite her throat out while smearing himself with his own excrement he's good.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2016/sep/22/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-budget-debt-election

QuoteDonald Trump's campaign has issued a statement attacking disgraced former congressman Anthony Weiner for giving $550 to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign:

QuoteThe announcement by the FBI and New York Police Department that they are investigating close Clinton ally Anthony Weiner's inappropriate relationship with an under-aged female is extremely disturbing. The Clinton campaign should immediately return all campaign contributions from Weiner. America has had enough of the sleaze that is Clinton, Inc.

Trump himself has donated a cumulative $4,750 to Weiner's campaigns.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.