2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on September 23, 2016, 07:22:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2016, 04:14:56 PM
No, the moderator shouldn't be a fact checker;  but he shouldn't lob toss pillows at one candidate while throwing spilt seam fastballs at the other candidate's head.
Unfortunately, the bars have already been set accordingly.

The problem is the bar has been set so low for Trump that if he manages to not bite her throat out while smearing himself with his own excrement he's good.  :hmm:

I totally agree.  Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that he won't.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 22, 2016, 11:11:11 PM
The Lincoln Douglas debates didn't have a moderator. I think that would be a cool way to have a debate. Put the candidates behind two podiums, turn on the cameras and let them roll for an hour. They pick the topics and determine the flow.

Trump proposed something like that, and unfortunately he is probably the first candidate in my lifetime that lacks the maturity to make the idea feasible.

That is not how the Lincoln Douglas debates went. There was a format they followed. But I suppose you are saying they picked and agreed on the format. But surely that would be true in these sorts of debates as well right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on September 22, 2016, 11:11:11 PM
The Lincoln Douglas debates didn't have a moderator. I think that would be a cool way to have a debate. Put the candidates behind two podiums, turn on the cameras and let them roll for an hour. They pick the topics and determine the flow.

Trump proposed something like that, and unfortunately he is probably the first candidate in my lifetime that lacks the maturity to make the idea feasible.
I don't think it's a question of maturity, it's a question of the science of public perception being far too advanced for society's good.  In the last 150 years, politicians learned that looking like you have conviction while bullshitting is a much more effective strategy when it comes to impressing voters than actually debating with intellectual honesty.  Trump may have taken the playbook to the extreme, but he's the rule, not the exception.

Legbiter

"Why aren't I 50 points ahead"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyoKB3ZHSc

The internal polling must be cataclysmic.  :pinch:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Legbiter on September 23, 2016, 10:17:53 AM

Polling has been a lot better this week. Clinton has gained like 10 % points in the 538 nowcast in the last two or three days.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

This election is over Tim.  :sleep:

And it's all your fault!  :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2016, 10:31:26 AM

Polling has been a lot better this week. Clinton has gained like 10 % points in the 538 nowcast in the last two or three days.

She's only up 2-3 points on the RCP average.

538 gives her only a 60% chance of winning.

This thing is still very tight and who knows what is going to happen in the debates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Doesn't matter.  The seals have been broken.  The prophecies are coming to pass.  It can't be turned off. 

This isn't about winning an election anymore;  this is about destroying God's work now.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 10:41:03 AM

This thing is still very tight and who knows what is going to happen in the debates.

Yeah, and she had a lead of less than 1% at the beginning of the week and a less than 51 % chance  of winning. Being up 3% and having a 61% chance of winning is a significant improvement 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2016, 10:47:13 AMYeah, and she had a lead of less than 1% at the beginning of the week and a less than 51 % chance  of winning. Being up 3% and having a 61% chance of winning is a significant improvement

Dosen't matter Tim.

If your mana reserves aren't low or the ability is on cooldown maybe, just maybe if you sincerly, honest-to-God wished Trump would win and publicly stated so, it might even out. But you would have to actually sincerly like Trump.

Otherwise:

derspiess

:lol:  Damn Timmy makes it so hard for me to not vote Trump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2016, 10:47:13 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 23, 2016, 10:41:03 AM

Yeah, and she had a lead of less than 1% at the beginning of the week and a less than 51 % chance  of winning. Being up 3% and having a 61% chance of winning is a significant improvement

Wow you're right - going from a one point lead to a two point lead is really a game-changer. :mellow:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

There's been no material change in the last week.  Best you can say is that the bleeding has stopped and the patient is temporarily stable.  We'll know soon whether the field dressing holds up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2016, 10:26:16 AM
Trump's going down.  The Elders have spoken: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-gops-jewish-donors-are-abandoning-trump/

Even Adelson is focusing on congressional races.

Good that Trump is not running for the President of Israel then.