2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Well gotta admit it's a good way to get into his opponents head, mean spirited as it is.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

It is petulant and childish. I guess sort of like everything he does.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on September 24, 2016, 06:12:13 PM
In all seriousness would they command to use a nuke be cause for impeachment due to mental defect or something?

Might be a rather academic question at that point.  For legbiter's benefit, the use of nuclear weapons is entirely the prerogative of the President.  There is absolutely no constitutional, legal or physical safeguard from President launching a nuclear attack whenever the fancy strikes him.  The use of nuclear weapons is entirely up to character, metal, and disposition of the President of the United States.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2016, 07:29:20 PM
In all seriousness would they command to use a nuke be cause for impeachment due to mental defect or something?

Might be a rather academic question at that point.  For legbiter's benefit, the use of nuclear weapons is entirely the prerogative of the President.  There is absolutely no constitutional, legal or physical safeguard from President launching a nuclear attack whenever the fancy strikes him.  The use of nuclear weapons is entirely up to character, metal, and disposition of the President of the United States.

Seems like the founding fathers really screwed up on that one.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2016, 07:50:28 PM

Seems like the founding fathers really screwed up on that one.

Who'd haves known, eh? :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

That's incorrect.  The Secretary of Defense must agree with the President's decision to employ nuclear weapons.  The two-man rule on nuclear weapons goes all the way to the top.

HVC

Who appoints tge secretary of defense? If push comes to shove could trump fire him and promote someone in the moment to drop a nuke?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

The president appoints him but the Senate has to approve.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

So we're fine as long as the Senate asks Trump's nominee if he will sign off on any retardo nuke attacks, and he answers honestly.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 24, 2016, 08:39:00 PM

That's incorrect.  The Secretary of Defense must agree with the President's decision to employ nuclear weapons.  The two-man rule on nuclear weapons goes all the way to the top.

Is that dictated by statute or regulation?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2016, 09:32:57 PM
So we're fine as long as the Senate asks Trump's nominee if he will sign off on any retardo nuke attacks, and he answers honestly.

It was my impression that the office "serves at the pleasure of the President", so the President can fire the Sec of Def at will.  Seems like he could simply down through the chain of command until he finds someone who will agree with him. It would be like "Military Apprentice" with Trump saying "You're fired" as he moves through the Joint Chiefs.  Assuming that this is dictated by statute and not regulation.  If it's just regulation the President can change it as Commander and Chief of the military.

Martinus

Bill O'Reilly on whether Trump would have dropped the A-Bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grO3HP6782U

Say what you will about him, but he is funny.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 24, 2016, 04:52:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2016, 04:38:21 PM
You guys will learn to love President Trump. :hug:

You'll love Putin.  And if you try to leave, Operation Keelhaul 2.0 will drag your ass right back.

Yeah, cause if Trump is President, even if he's not a lapdog for Putin, you know he's not letting in any refugees.

Quote from: HVCIn all seriousness would they command to use a nuke be cause for impeachment due to mental defect or something?

Well, Truman didn't get impeached, so I guess not.   ;)

Legbiter

Quote from: HVC on September 24, 2016, 05:15:15 PM
There's plenty of options.  Military coup, assassination, shiny objects to distract him.  We're all good.

Now we're talking.

Of course if the punditry actually believed it's own hysterics regarding Literally Hitler, you'd see them stockpiling food and ammo and desperately preparing to get off the grid to better be able to resist. But there they are, doing nothing.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.