2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 08:41:22 PM
Once every five minutes somewhere in Florida a pro-Hillary ad is aired.  Conventional wisdom is that if Hil can get the non-Cuban Hispanic vote out in Florida she should take the state.  Consequently I wasn't entirely surprised to hear a Hil ad on the Spanish language radio channel out of Orlando the other day.  What was a surprise is that it was narrated by Tim Kaine.  Unfortunately Kaine's Spanish isn't much better than mine; and even I can tell he has a heavy gringo accent.   I doubt that's really going to get out the Spanish speaking vote.  It could be a target for mockery, except neither candidate for president nor Pence speaks Spanish.

He was a missionary in Costa Rica when he was young IIRC?

Edit: Nope, it was Honduras.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Once every five minutes somewhere in Florida a pro-Hillary ad is aired.  Conventional wisdom is that if Hil can get the non-Cuban Hispanic vote out in Florida she should take the state.  Consequently I wasn't entirely surprised to hear a Hil ad on the Spanish language radio channel out of Orlando the other day.  What was a surprise is that it was narrated by Tim Kaine.  Unfortunately Kaine's Spanish isn't much better than mine; and even I can tell he has a heavy gringo accent.   I doubt that's really going to get out the Spanish speaking vote.  It could be a target for mockery, except neither candidate for president nor Pence speaks Spanish.

You really think they're going to be turned off by gringo pronounciation?  They're not French.

Anyone got a link to the ad?  I'd like to take a listen.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2016, 08:50:09 PM
You really think they're going to be turned off by gringo pronounciation?  They're not French.

No, but I don't think they're going to flock to the polls because of his gringo-tastic Spanish either.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Phillip V

Clinton is spending a crapload of ad money in Florida, but Trump is still beating her there.  Kaine's Spanish should be the least of their worries.

CountDeMoney

Right, because Donald's accent is so authentic.

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2016, 09:02:13 PM

Right, because Donald's accent is so authentic.

I mentioned that neither presidential candidate speaks Spanish in the post the you quoted.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 09:10:10 PM
I mentioned that neither presidential candidate speaks Spanish in the post the you quoted.

You mentioned Kaine's accent could be a target for mockery.  I would think the racist spic hater would be a bigger target for mockery.

alfred russel

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 08:56:31 PM

No, but I don't think they're going to flock to the polls because of his gringo-tastic Spanish either.

There is the thing that speaking spanish is controversial to some people. "its america, speak english". He may not have a great accent, but the effort also makes a point. The republicans aren't even trying out broken spanish.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 25, 2016, 09:15:37 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 09:10:10 PM

You mentioned Kaine's accent could be a target for mockery.

Which is immediately followed by a subordinate clause which explains why it would not be.

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on September 25, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 08:56:31 PM

There is the thing that speaking spanish is controversial to some people. "its america, speak english". He may not have a great accent, but the effort also makes a point. The republicans aren't even trying out broken spanish.

Well, Trump isn't; Rubio and Bush were, but that didn't pan out.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2016, 09:22:16 PM
Which is immediately followed by a subordinate clause which explains why it would not be.

There was a comma between them which impeded understanding.

You need to tighten up your prose buddy. :contract:

CountDeMoney

Martinus

I love that Sav makes a point that is mildly critical not even of Hillary but her campaign tactics, and is immediately attacked. The power of denial is strong in Hillanguishers. :D

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 26, 2016, 12:33:02 AM
I love that Sav makes a point that is mildly critical not even of Hillary but her campaign tactics, and is immediately attacked. The power of denial is strong in Hillanguishers. :D

I like how Martinus is a waste of a poster. Oh wait, I don't. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2016, 06:43:59 PMA lot of deep blue and deep red states are going to be very close this time around. I posted a map a week or two back that shows the swing by state. Rhode Island had the largest swing, +19 for the GOP, Texas and Utah had swings nearly as large towards the Dems IIRC.

The only question is how bigly he'll win this thing.

If he takes Rhode Island as well I never want you to wish me a long healthy life.  :sleep:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.