2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on September 23, 2016, 03:32:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2016, 01:45:08 PM
I really really really do not understand the US voter ID controversy. In Poland (and I suspect most of continental Europe) you can't vote without an ID.
Registered voters in Germany get a letter or postcard that invites them to vote. That notification is all you need to vote. You only need an ID if you don't have that notification with you.

That seems pretty rife for abuse if those get sent to a wrong or old address. Over here ID is mandatory.

The problem with the US is that getting a valid state ID is non-trivial compared to Europe. IMHO they should just implement European-style mandatory ID cards but MUH LIBERTY.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 03:47:45 PM
The problem with the US is that getting a valid state ID is non-trivial compared to Europe.

Please elaborate.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 03:49:57 PM
The problem with the US is that getting a valid state ID is non-trivial compared to Europe.

Please elaborate.

You need certain ID to get a valid state ID. I think we have talked this to death already.

Now why it is so much easier in Euroland is another question :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 03:52:53 PM
You need certain ID to get a valid state ID. I think we have talked this to death already.

A question worthy of elaboration, some might say.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2016, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 03:49:57 PM

Please elaborate.

I can't vouch for other countries, but getting a Spanish ID card only takes one hour at a police station. Since it is mandatory, it means that you're on file since your teenage years, and the process is trivial.

celedhring

Imho the US should just turn that shitty SSN card into a photo ID.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 03:59:07 PM
I can't vouch for other countries, but getting a Spanish ID card only takes one hour at a police station. Since it is mandatory, it means that you're on file since your teenage years, and the process is trivial.

And what is the process to get on file?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 04:06:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 03:59:07 PM

And what is the process to get on file?

Birth certificate, photos, census certificate. That's only for the first time you get it.

Thing is, thanks to the beauty of State coercion, you have completed it before you are of voting age.

mongers

So is the Tuesday night debate worth staying up for, as it'll be 1.30 am-3 am over here?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on September 23, 2016, 03:32:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2016, 01:45:08 PM
I really really really do not understand the US voter ID controversy. In Poland (and I suspect most of continental Europe) you can't vote without an ID.
Registered voters in Germany get a letter or postcard that invites them to vote. That notification is all you need to vote. You only need an ID if you don't have that notification with you.

We pretty much roll that way too, but in effect you can just declare who you are if you turn up without the invite/reminder.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 04:13:27 PM
Birth certificate, photos, census certificate. That's only for the first time you get it.

Thing is, thanks to the beauty of State coercion, you have completed it before you are of voting age.

Then I don't see how the Yuro approach is all that much easier.  Getting a driver's license or passport is our equivalent of being entered in Teh System.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 04:13:27 PM

Then I don't see how the Yuro approach is all that much easier.  Getting a driver's license or passport is our equivalent of being entered in Teh System.

You don't need to take driving lessons to get a Spanish ID card.  :hmm:

You need a valid state ID to get a yank passport AFAIK.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2016, 04:20:01 PM
You don't need to take driving lessons to get a Spanish ID card.  :hmm:

DMV also issues non-driving ID cards.

QuoteYou need a valid state ID to get a yank passport AFAIK.

I thought birth certificate would do it.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2016, 03:55:31 PM
A question worthy of elaboration, some might say.

It has been fairly settled that the more of a hassle you make it to get proper ID - however you define that - the fewer people get it. It has also been fairly clearly established that the drop-off is higher among low-income demographics (who tend to vote Democrat). At the same time ID measures and budget cuts coincidentally tend to close down or restrict services in minority areas (that tend to vote Democrat), to refuse to accept state issued university IDs while accepting state issued gun licenses (where the tendency is to vote Democrat and Republican respectively) et. al.

Here's a link outlining cases the ACLU is involved in: https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-freely/will-2016-presidential-election-be-decided-voter-suppression-laws

Here's a link to a map they have with areas of concern: https://www.aclu.org/map/voter-suppression-laws-whats-new-2012-presidential-election

Quote from: Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of LawIn the 10 states with restrictive voter ID laws:

• Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. Many of them live in rural areas with dwindling public transportation options.
  • More than 10 million eligible voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.
  • 1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. People of color are more likely to be disenfranchised by these laws since they are less likely to have photo ID than the general population.
  • Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays. In other states — Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas — many part-time ID-issuing offices are in the rural regions with the highest concentrations of people of color and people in poverty.

http://www.brennancenter.org/publication/challenge-obtaining-voter-identification

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 23, 2016, 04:14:28 PM
So is the Tuesday night debate worth staying up for, as it'll be 1.30 am-3 am over here?

I think it's going to be a very important piece of political theater, but if I knew there was going to be a rerun I might skip the live broadcast.