News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL offseason thread

Started by katmai, February 15, 2013, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: katmai on May 22, 2013, 11:04:47 PM
It's okay, the Seahawks will be fielding CFL team since everyone else will be suspended for PED use.
It hurts because it's true.  :(

The Seahawks should probably take the ritalin dispenser out of the locker room.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2013, 09:51:18 AM
Looks like Joe Flacco's been working hard since the Super Bowl;  packed on 7 pounds in the weight room, showed up at the first OTA yesterday at 252 lbs.

With Ed Reed and Ray Ray gone, looks like Elvis Dumervil has already stepped in as team drill instructor and chew-your-ass-out training camp motivator.
I was thinking he looked a little bigger in his interviews.  I guess he had such a good time brushing off Broncos trying to sack him in the divisional round that he's decided to take a page out of Roethlisberger's game.  That's a good role for Dumervil, and one I was a bit concerned about.  Sizzle is a leader, but not the kind of guy who's going to be getting guys to grind even harder in camp.  Ngata is too soft-spoken to be that guy.

I keep seeing Urlacher getting described as a first-ballot hall of famer, but I'm not so sure.  I could see the argument that he belongs in the HoF, but with no championship I don't think it's quite as cut and dried.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Flacco's agent shows why people hate 1) agents, and 2) lawyers.

QuoteRavens make 'dumb' move in delaying Flacco negotiations, his agent tells newspaper

On March 4, agent Joe Linta and the Ravens finalized a six-year, $120.6 million contract extension for Joe Flacco, making the quarterback the highest paid player in the history of the NFL.

Nearly three months later, Linta is still taking his victory lap. 

The agent told USA Today that the extension talks broke down last August because of a disagreement on $1 million in non-guaranteed base salary in the final year of the proposed six-year extension.  That prompted both sides to put off the negotiations until after the 2012-13 season, when Flacco's value was at his highest following his MVP performance in Super Bowl XLVII.

"I've never in my life seen a dumber move," Linta told the newspaper. "I guess people can say, 'Well, Joe was dumb, too.' It could have been [dumb], God forbid, if he got hurt. But $1 million to [Ravens owner] Steve Bisciotti six years from now? That's like $100 bucks for you or me today.''

Linta told the paper that the Ravens' decision to walk away from the talks before this past season cost the team "$35 million."

This offseason, the Ravens have undergone an unprecedented roster turnover for a Super Bowl champion, losing eight key contributors from last year's team. Ray Lewis and Matt Birk, a Linta client, both retired. However, the Ravens, who were up against the salary cap, opted not to re-sign free agents Dannell Ellerbe, Paul Kruger, Cary Williams and Ed Reed. They also released hard-hitting safety Bernard Pollard and then traded Flacco's favorite target, Anquan Boldin, for a draft pick in a cost-cutting move.

Some attributed the heavy losses to the Flacco's deal, though the quarterback has a modest $6.8 million salary cap figure in 2013.     

"I have no sympathy. None," Linta said.

Flacco's deal, which was finalized just over a month after he led the Ravens to a victory in Super Bowl XLVII and completed one of the best postseasons ever by a quarterback, included a $29 million signing bonus and a $62 million payout through the first three years of the deal. It was the biggest contract in NFL history for less than two months as quarterback Aaron Rodgers reached agreement on a new deal with the Green Bay Packers that surpassed the Flacco pact. 

Because Flacco's cap number surges to $28.55 million by 2016, the extension is essentially a three-year deal.

"I'm not apologetic for the fact this is really a three-year deal, there's no way they can afford $29 million a couple of years from now,'' Linta told USA Today. "I'm not apologetic. They chose to walk away.''

Linta had said that the Flacco negotiations, done primarily with Ravens vice president of football administration Pat Moriarty, were amicable and professional. However, his latest comments will surely get the attention of team officials.

Linta currently represents four Ravens: Flacco, rookie fullback Kyle Juszczyk, center Gino Gradkowski and guard Antoine McClain.

Neil

Well, he's a pretty small-time agent who only represents a couple of guys, and he doesn't have to deal with the Ravens for another three years thanks to Flacco's deal, so I guess he figures he can shoot his mouth off.  Still, it seems like a pretty dumb thing to say.  It's not like everybody in the Ravens front office doesn't know that they could have saved themselves some money by doing the deal before Flacco became a playoff hero, but hindsight is 20/20.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

It's kinda funny how the NFL offseason has become Listmania, it seems.  Between the Top 100 players of 2013, the Top 100 plays of 2012 and the Top 20 games of 2012, they're listing heavily.

katmai

So what do you guys think or care if at all that pushing back the draft a few more weeks into May? And starting FA at the time of the combine so early march?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: katmai on May 27, 2013, 01:46:24 PM
So what do you guys think or care if at all that pushing back the draft a few more weeks into May? And starting FA at the time of the combine so early march?
I would assume that it's a test, to see how the offseason would work if they were to push the Superbowl back to President's Day and extend the regular season.  That's been something they've been thinking about for years now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on May 27, 2013, 01:46:24 PM

I think pushing the draft back is a bad idea, at least from an OTA and conditioning perspective.

Neil

Has Kyle Boller retired?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2013, 06:05:44 PM
Has Kyle Boller retired?

Yeah.  Last year, I think.

E:  *Early* last year, I meant to say.

sbr

No QB in Flex, adding TE is good.

I like the 0.5 points for receptions.

Individual defensive players can be fun, but I prefer just a defensive/special teams like usual.

Sophie Scholl

Digging the changes.  Orton's Orphans are going to kick some ass this year.  And then get knocked out in the first round again. :face:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Quote from: sbr on May 30, 2013, 09:39:39 PM
No QB in Flex, adding TE is good. The mob has spoketh!

I like the 0.5 points for receptions.
Quote from: sbr on May 30, 2013, 09:39:39 PM
Individual defensive players can be fun, but I prefer just a defensive/special teams like usual.
Yeah as much as i like the idea of individual def players means bumping up the reserves as well.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

I'm not a fan of individual defensive players.  We'd need more rounds in the draft, and that already goes long enough.

Neil

Today is the day the Ravens visit the White House.  Two of CdM's favorite things, together at last.