And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL offseason thread

Started by katmai, February 15, 2013, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2013, 09:05:03 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:36:50 AM
They had me until I read the reasoning for the name.

What did you think it was supposed to mean?
a bird, like the hawk.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

daveracher

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 10:17:41 AM
Quote from: daveracher on May 01, 2013, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 06:15:57 AM
Somebody will sign him.  He's not capable of being a full time QB, but he's certainly capable of more than a single sneak attempt up the middle that was called offsides anyway.

Heaven forbid he had accomplished anything and proven Rex wrong for sticking with Sanchez.

Lots of media speculation (not sure if based on anything substantive) about Tebow coming to the CFL.  Apparently the Alouettes hold his rights.

I was reading though they only offered to let him compete to be Calvillos backup... I guess they could move his rights to Toronto  :nelson:

Well, yeah.  It's not as if Tebow is a proven pro QB.

But if you think about it that is actually a hell of an offer.  Montreal is a perennial favourite, Calvillo a certain hall of famer.  Th chance to learn from him would be valuable. 

Plus Calvillo is 40.  He's not going to be playing much longer.

*If* Tim Tebow was serious about wanting to be a professional quarterback, that would be his chance to do it.

Even some of the US talking heads were saying he should try the Flutie route. I don't see him taking second fiddle in the CFL though.
Birdman of Burlington

Grey Fox

He can't be first fiddle tomorrow morning without ever having played 3 down football before, there is just no way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
He can't be first fiddle tomorrow morning without ever having played 3 down football before, there is just no way.
Yeah, not as a quarterback.

Besides, Calvillo is old as fuck and getting brittle.  If he goes there, he could be starting very soon.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: daveracher on May 01, 2013, 10:27:05 AM
Even some of the US talking heads were saying he should try the Flutie route. I don't see him taking second fiddle in the CFL though.

The problem for Tebow in the CFL is that it is even more of a throwing league than the NFL.  A CFL team might be able to build a college type option offence around him but it would be an odd sight for 3 down football.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2013, 12:10:07 PM

The problem for Tebow in the CFL is that it is even more of a throwing league than the NFL.  A CFL team might be able to build a college type option offence around him but it would be an odd sight for 3 down football.

See, to me the interesting question about Tebow is whether or not an NFL team could build a college-type option offense around him and succeed.  Everybody just assumes that it can't work in the NFL, but nobody has ever really tried it long-term, so we don't really know.

Whether or not Tebow can ever develop as a passer to the point that he can succeed in a more traditional NFL-type offense is a lot less interesting question.

sbr

Quote from: dps on May 01, 2013, 05:27:12 PM

See, to me the interesting question about Tebow is whether or not an NFL team could build a college-type option offense around him and succeed.  Everybody just assumes that it can't work in the NFL, but nobody has ever really tried it long-term, so we don't really know.

Whether or not Tebow can ever develop as a passer to the point that he can succeed in a more traditional NFL-type offense is a lot less interesting question.

I just don't think a full-time option offense is possible in the NFL.  The defensive players are just too fast and strong and it would be much harder to stretch the field horizontally like good college option attacks do. 

The other problem is better coaching and more time to practice; there is so little practice time during the season in college that adjusting to an option attack in a week is very hard.  In the NFL you have more time to prepare and walkthrough things, so it is easier to make bigger adjustments between opponents in-season.

Lastly NFL defenders are really big and really fast and really strong and really mean.  The more hits your QB takes, the greater the chance he doesn't get back up.  If you ran an option offense you would have to have 5-6 low-to-medium paid option type QBs on your roster, though that wouldn't be all that hard since you would have no competition for them.

dps

Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2013, 09:01:54 PM
Quote from: dps on May 01, 2013, 05:27:12 PM

I just don't think a full-time option offense is possible in the NFL.  The defensive players are just too fast and strong and it would be much harder to stretch the field horizontally like good college option attacks do. 

The other problem is better coaching and more time to practice; there is so little practice time during the season in college that adjusting to an option attack in a week is very hard.  In the NFL you have more time to prepare and walkthrough things, so it is easier to make bigger adjustments between opponents in-season.

Lastly NFL defenders are really big and really fast and really strong and really mean.  The more hits your QB takes, the greater the chance he doesn't get back up.  If you ran an option offense you would have to have 5-6 low-to-medium paid option type QBs on your roster, though that wouldn't be all that hard since you would have no competition for them.

All that's the conventional wisdom, but is the conventional wisdom correct? 

CountDeMoney

The Wildcat and its derivatives are viable in situational doses.  I don't like it, and the right defensive personnel can snuff it out in nothing flat (see: Ravens, Baltimore) but it can work in the right situation several times a game.
Unfortunately, the Jets Rex Ryan didn't want to use Tebow in the same manner they used Brad Smith, but for wholly different reasons.

Neil

We've seen what happens to mobile QBs who take lots of hits.  Vick, McNabb, Griffin... even the great Steve Young had a shortened career on account of getting blown the fuck up.

At any rate, we've seen what happens when these gimmick college offences meet top-tier NFL defences:  They lose.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Hey Neil--

QuoteBolstering perhaps the greatest remaining need on their roster, the Ravens have agreed with left tackle Bryant McKinnie to a two-year contract that carries a maximum value of $7 million.

The deal includes an undisclosed signing bonus, incentive clauses and workout bonuses, according to a source.

By agreeing to terms with McKinnie, the Ravens can leave Kelechi Osemele at left guard, where he lined up during the playoffs. Without McKinnie, the Ravens were planning to evaluate Osemele as their potential starting left tackle.

Instead, McKinnie and the defending Super Bowl champions hammered out a contract days after the un restricted free agent visited and drew offers from the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins. McKinnie took physicals with both teams and posted photographs during both visits.

The former Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl blocker also fielded a preliminary inquiry from the Dallas Cowboys, but remaining with the Ravens was his preference all along.

"We worked very hard to get him back there," said Michael George, McKinnie's agent. "Bryant had offers from other teams. In the end, this was the best situation for him. He's real happy. I know they are."

McKinnie, 33, started every game in the playoffs after being replaced at left tackle during the regular season by Michael Oher. With McKinnie protecting his blind side and Oher shifting over to right tackle, quarterback Joe Flacco threw 11 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the postseason.

The Ravens will bring back four of five starters from the offensive line that thrived during the playoffs when they averaged 410.3 yards of total offense per game. The only starter not returning is six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk, who retired in February. Gino Gradkowski slated to replace him.

The Ravens allowed just six sacks in four playoff games after giving up 35 sacks during the regular season.

Oher appears pleased that McKinnie is returning, writing to him on Twitter: "Glad you back bro."

Wide receiver Torrey Smith also reacted to the news, tweeting: "Welcome back Bryant McKinnie. Well, you never really left."

McKinnie has battled conditioning and weight issues and reported late to training camp last summer after saying he slipped and hurt his back at his South Florida home. He didn't intially pass the Ravens' mandatory conditioning test, but he got in better shape as the season went on.

McKinnie was contacted by the Chicago Bears when free agency started. However, they quickly reached a deal with former New Orleans Saints and Towson offensive tackle Jermon Bushrod to become their new left tackle.

Neil

Nice.  I was looking for them to bring him back, seeing as they didn't do much for the line in the draft.  Considering that all the haters were acting like the sky was falling two months ago, I would say this team is looking reloaded and ready to contend again.  The only loss that hasn't been addressed to some degree is Boldin.

CountDeMoney

Way I see it, the defense got much faster.  And even with McKinnie, the OL suddenly became one of the youngest in the league.
In any case, they'll be fun to watch.

re: Bouldin;  I think they have a couple of fine underneath talents from the draft and their UDFA signings.  They picked up a lot of raw talent off the street.  The blocking TE from Maryland and Gerrard Sheppard, the kid from WAIT FOR IT Towson may be an answer. 6'2", 211, runs a 4.58, has awesome hands.  And that kid from Ole Miss that played basketball for them is another TE option at 6'7" and 240lbs.

I don't know what they're going to do with Steedman, the Army option QB, but he's a great athlete and they'll find something for him.

Neil

There's no doubt that physically Brown is an upgrade on Ray, even if nobody can replace Ray's mind, heart and mouth.  And the wags are always talking about how the Ravens lost their two starters, but they forget that Ellerbe was actually McClain's backup.  And Jameel is back in the weightroom now, seems like his spinal injury is healing well.

I guess we'll see what happens with Boldin's replacement.  I'm intrigued by that TE/FB they got from Harvard.  Obviously he's not the pure lead blocker that Leach is, but he's supposed to have super soft hands to go with his toughness.  Mind you, Leach has made some pretty good catches for a eight yards before getting chopped down by a defender, but he's 31 years old.

Steedman could probably make the practice squad.  Heaven knows it wouldn't hurt to have an option guy to practice against.  Although Tyrod could run that.  I know that the team likes Taylor, but I don't really know why.  The only time we saw him last year, we was stinking the place up.

CountDeMoney

Leach could wind up being a casualty, but I think that would be a mistake.

I'm surprised Ed hasn't said anything about his white boy from Ohio State yet.