Main Menu

NFL offseason thread

Started by katmai, February 15, 2013, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 30, 2013, 01:37:15 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 30, 2013, 10:50:59 AM
Orton is a joke, and BA can blow me. :P
Orton had an overall qb rating of 137.1, a 90% completion rate and no ints last year! :showoff:

...and threw 10 passes. :P

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 30, 2013, 02:53:42 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 30, 2013, 01:37:15 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 30, 2013, 10:50:59 AM
Orton is a joke, and BA can blow me. :P
Orton had an overall qb rating of 137.1, a 90% completion rate and no ints last year! :showoff:

...and threw 10 passes. :P
:lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

I'm surprised Orton hasn't dropped dead of liver failure yet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

It's that time of year again.

QuoteD.C. Council may push Washington Redskins into 'Washington Redtails'

A D.C. Council member is preparing to introduce a resolution calling on the Washington Redskins to change its name, perhaps to the Washington Redtails.

Council member David Grosso, an independent elected last year, said he plans to pursue his non-binding resolution because the current name is "a derogatory, racist name."

"It's been a long time that we've had this name associated with Washington, and I think its time we take a stand and change it," Grosso said.

Grosso is circulating his resolution to other council members to try to get co-sponsors. So far, he said, council members Muriel Bowser (D-Ward 4) and Kenyan McDuffie (D-Ward 5) have agreed to sign on to it.

In recent months, as the Redskins made their run toward the playoffs, debate about the Redskins name has been heating up. Earlier this year, Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D) said he would also like the name changed. But Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and team officials have largely avoided the debate, giving no indications that they are seriously considering such a change.

According to Grosso's resolution, which he said he plans to formally introduce in a few weeks, the 13-member council would declare that "District residents and their elected representatives should not tolerate commercial or other use of derogatory terminology relating to any people's racial identity, or which dishonors any person's race, or which dishonors the name Washington."

"Washington's name has been dishonored by association with the word 'Redskins,' " the resolution states. "Because it is well known in America and in nations afar that American Indians have experienced utmost suffering and disrespect over the years."

Past debates about a Redskins name change have quickly become hung up on what would be an appropriate name for the team.

In his resolution, Grosso urges the team to change its name to the Washington Redtails, noting that that was the nickname used by the Tuskegee Airmen, the pioneering aviation unit that broke the color barrier for U.S. military pilots in World War II. A plane used by the airmen recently was put in a place of honor in the Smithsonian.

Grosso said a change to the Redtails would be a relatively seamless.

"You can still sing the song and everything," said Grosso, before singing, "Hail . . . to the . . . Redtails."

Just as importantly, Grosso said, "you can still keep the feather."

katmai

Tebow cleared waivers, so no team was willing to take a chance on him with the contract he had.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Somebody will sign him.  He's not capable of being a full time QB, but he's certainly capable of more than a single sneak attempt up the middle that was called offsides anyway.

Heaven forbid he had accomplished anything and proven Rex wrong for sticking with Sanchez.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 06:11:04 AM
It's that time of year again.

It is shocking to me they still get away with that name.  I sorta hoped in the 20 years when they were sucking it up they would have just quietly changed the name.  But I guess Redtails is as good as any.  They could certainly do alot worse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

They had me until I read the reasoning for the name.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on May 01, 2013, 08:36:50 AM
They had me until I read the reasoning for the name.

What did you think it was supposed to mean?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Kleves

They'll probably end up as the "Washington Martin Luther King Jr.'s."
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on May 01, 2013, 09:06:01 AM

At least it would piss off Dorsey.

But I live in terror of the fate that has befallen the College Redskins equivalents.  The St. John's Red Storm?  WTF is that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 06:15:57 AM
Somebody will sign him.  He's not capable of being a full time QB, but he's certainly capable of more than a single sneak attempt up the middle that was called offsides anyway.

Heaven forbid he had accomplished anything and proven Rex wrong for sticking with Sanchez.

Lots of media speculation (not sure if based on anything substantive) about Tebow coming to the CFL.  Apparently the Alouettes hold his rights.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
Quote from: Kleves on May 01, 2013, 09:06:01 AM

At least it would piss off Dorsey.

But I live in terror of the fate that has befallen the College Redskins equivalents.  The St. John's Red Storm?  WTF is that?
ask the cheerleaders once a month :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

daveracher

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

Lots of media speculation (not sure if based on anything substantive) about Tebow coming to the CFL.  Apparently the Alouettes hold his rights.

I was reading though they only offered to let him compete to be Calvillos backup... I guess they could move his rights to Toronto  :nelson:
Birdman of Burlington

Barrister

Quote from: daveracher on May 01, 2013, 10:10:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 09:57:54 AM

I was reading though they only offered to let him compete to be Calvillos backup... I guess they could move his rights to Toronto  :nelson:

Well, yeah.  It's not as if Tebow is a proven pro QB.

But if you think about it that is actually a hell of an offer.  Montreal is a perennial favourite, Calvillo a certain hall of famer.  Th chance to learn from him would be valuable. 

Plus Calvillo is 40.  He's not going to be playing much longer.

*If* Tim Tebow was serious about wanting to be a professional quarterback, that would be his chance to do it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.