And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2013, 02:27:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2013, 11:29:06 AM
Down 10 lbs.  Now weighing in at 255.  Only 15 lbs to go to reach my goal.

:cool:

Don't over do it as 250 odd isn't on a large and very tall frame.   :cool:

Its mainly about the distribution of the weight.  During my playing days I had a very low body fat percentage and quite large shoulders and arms.  Somehow over the years those muscles seem to have descended into my mid section.

At the worst point of my illness my waist ballooned up to 40''.  Now I am back down below 38 and ideally I would like to get back to 36 with a redistrubition of bulk back up in the upper body.

I will never see the low body fat percentages of 20-30 years ago but at least I can work to being more of a fit midlifer.

Quotewhat I need is greater portion control.

Yeah, I am finding that is the secret.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2013, 02:35:07 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 21, 2013, 02:27:21 PM

Don't over do it as 250 odd isn't on a large and very tall frame.   :cool:

Its mainly about the distribution of the weight.  During my playing days I had a very low body fat percentage and quite large shoulders and arms.  Somehow over the years those muscles seem to have descended into my mid section.

At the worst point of my illness my waist ballooned up to 40''.  Now I am back down below 38 and ideally I would like to get back to 36 with a redistrubition of bulk back up in the upper body.

I will never see the low body fat percentages of 20-30 years ago but at least I can work to being more of a fit midlifer.

Tell me about it, I looked in the mirror last night and notice my pecs aren't where they used to be, still about, just further south.   :hmm:

We're both fighting gravity.:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

I benched 2000lb yesterday.   :showoff:

...Just not all at once.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Heh, I'm on the same trajectory - I'm down to 196, 6 more to go before I hit my target (this year, so far, I'm down 34 pounds).

Actually, ideally I should go down to 185 or so to deal with the inevitable bounce-back when I go off strictly dieting, but we will see.

And yes, portion control. It's all about the physics.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

As I mentioned I've been training really hard, and probably not eaten right or gotten enough rest.

On Sunday, I was laid out with a headache and general fatigue and skipped running (no flu symptoms though). Stayed in bed most of the day. On Monday, my headache was reduced though I considered skipping work, but went in anyway. So now it is Thursday, and the headache has basically gone away though I have some vertigo. I tried exercising today for the first time since Saturday. The stretch was the first sign something was wrong. My first 2 minutes running were like some bizarre form of torture--my whole body tensed up-- but that went away. I only made it 3 miles of a planned 5 mile easy run though.

Anyone ever gone through something like that?

If anyone thinks of it, I'm not going to the doctor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on May 23, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
AF, over-training?

That is what I think (and hope). But I'm aggressively trying to get in the best shape possible because I have some challenging plans this summer, so a setback would be less than ideal.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2013, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 23, 2013, 08:16:55 PM
AF, over-training?

That is what I think (and hope). But I'm aggressively trying to get in the best shape possible because I have some challenging plans this summer, so a setback would be less than ideal.

Back in my playing days I would sometimes get those sensations - normally it was caused by not getting enough hydration.

QuoteIf anyone thinks of it, I'm not going to the doctor.

Thats just silly.

Brazen

I've been given a copy of Insanity. I intend to sit on the sofa and watch it, laughing, over a bottle of wine.

Josquius

The gym is quit.
A strategic retreat in the war against chub. We will regroup at a later date.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on May 24, 2013, 08:30:56 AM
I've been given a copy of Insanity. I intend to sit on the sofa and watch it, laughing, over a bottle of wine.

Do they want you to injure yourself  ? :unsure:

Myself I had my three hours of gentle cardiovascular exercise this afternoon.   :)

PDH

last 8 days I did 150 miles on the bike.  Good thing I have been eating enough or such exercise might cause weight loss!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 25, 2013, 06:12:54 PM
last 8 days I did 150 miles on the bike.  Good thing I have been eating enough or such exercise might cause weight loss!

Good going, I've probably only done twice that in the whole of the month.

Yeas as for food intake, I was thinking that only 15 minutes ago, I should eat like a horse/whatever I want, as I think not enough 'fuel' can be a real issue. 

PDH

I bonked back on a ride a month ago - that sucked bad.  Burning an additional 1500-2000 calories 5 times a week means I have to eat more.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Fourth straight day today of long cycling.  The long holiday weekend means I can spend a couple hours on the road each day.

Today was the first time coming down the big descent I had to fight a headwind, but in a crouch the new bike moves much faster into the wind.  Also, today was the first time I got into an ad hoc group (of 4) for some of the ride.  It does help with the wind, but I like my own pace better, wind and all.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM